Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,477 of 4,588

Why?
 From the schiit Website

"Power Supply: 
Modi 2: USB bus powered, 120mA draw
Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit: Included 16VAC wall-wart with 100% linear power"

It already has a Linear Power Supply.

A wallwart is just that, funnily Bimby doesn't run off a $2 wallwart as you noticed and yes I've done my homework fueling mimby off a way overkill 900g 2A 16VAC PSU. Ludicrous SQ improvement, rest assured that Mimby's utterly cripped by its el cheapo phone charger so comparing it to Bimby is as much of an apple/orange comparison as it gets as long as you run it off its stock wallwart IME.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,478 of 4,588
And you would be wrong.  According to Nick at Schiit, return shipping is included in the upgrade pricing.

Not sure who Nick at schiit is, but according to schiit's website, shipping is NOT included (maybe it's included in more expensive upgrades) - here it is Bifrost MB upgrade in my cart - CONUS shipping of course:

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2,479 of 4,588

A wallwart is just that, funnily Bimby doesn't run off a $2 wallwart as you noticed and yes I've done my homework fueling mimby off a way overkill 900g 2A 16VAC PSU. Ludicrous SQ improvement, rest assured that Mimby's utterly cripped by its el cheapo phone charger so comparing it to Bimby is as much of an apple/orange comparison as it gets as long as you run it off its stock wallwart IME.

I Have never tried another PSU with a Mimby . I don't have one yet, but there is possibly one about to be purchased to replace a Modi2U. I am Mulling a Used Bifrost Uber or a new Mimby. But your findings are very intriguing and somewhat entertaining that you did go that far, but I don't think I will go that far of the rails. I do it enough already. You point out one of the Most Obvious differences and one rarely considered in a Bifrost and Modi which ever versions you choose. Power supply. Good Power supplies can be a significant cost when compared to all the other individual components. Mimby is Mighty tempting regardless.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #2,480 of 4,588
I've tried the 1.5A M2U, same cheapo chinese OEM as stock one. We are listening to the PSU, don't underestimate it 
wink_face.gif

I also run a 10cm dual-shielded USB cable to a highly pimped USB PCI-E controller fitted with a 1ppm clock and TOTL caps with the lowest ESR evar. Worst case scenario would be a super long toslink cable and stock PSU ^^

The way I see it Mimby has plenty potential, our job to maximise it coz obviously Schiit don't wanna cannibalize on Bimby too much.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,483 of 4,588
Not sure who Nick at schiit is, but according to schiit's website, shipping is NOT included (maybe it's included in more expensive upgrades) - here it is Bifrost MB upgrade in my cart - CONUS shipping of course:

Here is the email from Schiit.  Nick is the guy who answers most of Schiit's emails.

Yes, it is.
  Nick T.
Schiit Tech

tech@schiit.com

On Feb 23, 2017, at 11:17 AM, mwsvette wrote:

Is return shipping included in the upgrade price?

Thanks
Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much like @Baldr I think I am over discussing this with you.

Have a nice day...

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,484 of 4,588
Here is the email from Schiit.  Nick is the guy who answers most of Schiit's emails.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much like @Baldr
I think I am over discussing this with you.

Have a nice day...

What a relief - thank you. You too have a nice day.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,486 of 4,588
Easy solution: email orders@schiit.com and ask.

Nick is tech support. The people in charge of orders can answer definitively.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #2,487 of 4,588
  Easy solution: email orders@schiit.com and ask.

Nick is tech support. The people in charge of orders can answer definitively.

I sent my question to info@schiit.com.  Would be the wrong place to ask that question.  I used that one as it was a general question and I had no order in which to refer.

However since we have your attention.  Is return shipping included in the $250.00 Bifrost upgrade to multibit?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,488 of 4,588

I sent my question to info@schiit.com.  Would be the wrong place to ask that question.  I used that one as it was a general question and I had no order in which to refer.

However since we have your attention.  Is return shipping included in the $250.00 Bifrost upgrade to multibit?

Thanks

Actually, I don't know. That's why I suggested emailing orders@schiit.com

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,489 of 4,588

Actually, I don't know. That's why I suggested emailing orders@schiit.com

OK, I did.  These are the responses,

Hello,

The cost of shipping is not included in the $250 price.  Shipping is charged during the checkout process for return shipping once the upgrade is completed.  In regards to shipping the Bifrost to us, we do not provide shipping for it to us.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 9:02 AM
To: orders@schiit.com
Subject: Fwd: Upgrades and shipping

Good morning,

Is return shipping include in the $250.00 Bifrost Multibit upgrade?

Jason said to ask here not at info@schiit.com...

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
To: mwsvette
Sent: Thu, Feb 23, 2017 4:50 pm
Subject: Re: Upgrades and shipping

Yes, it is.

Nick T.

Schiit Tech

tech@schiit.com

On Feb 23, 2017, at 11:17 AM, wrote:

Is return shipping included in the upgrade price?

Thanks
Mike
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While I love Schiit, I am the current owner of a Lyr, Bimby, Jot, 2 Wyrd's and a Sys.  This was more difficult than it should have been.

I have now gotten my 3rd different answer to the same question.  Yes, I do not know and no.

It was not a trick question.  The only reason I was even asking was in response to another Head-fier.

Special thanks to Laura she responded very quickly.

To @ilcg1, I apologize for giving you incorrect information...
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,490 of 4,588

- Comparing Bifrost to Tidal. The same way one can compare Bifrost to Starbucks. How much much money do they spend on coffee per year? That's irrelevant in this conversation - it has nothing to do with DACs. Person who has a Tidal subscription will most likely not cancel it to buy/upgrade Schiit DAC.

Viewed in total cost of dollars -  both software and hardware.  Neither a Multi-Modi nor a Bifrost does not drink starbucks - it drinks software, either physical or streamed.  If one is willing to spend x$ on hardware, what is the relative x$ of software and the hobby as a whole.  Starbuck's is irrelevant - physical media and streamed media is NOT.

You are essentially comparing a piece of hardware to a subscription service, which is not a like to like comparison. From that perspective, comparing Tidal to Starbucks is not a bad comparison. Very different things, but similar in the sense that both are consumables that must be purchased over and over again. Hardware is completely different.

I understand that from your perspective, the dolby upgrades of the world have consumers upgrading their hardware on almost a subscription type basis anyways, so why not make that comparison? But when I watched a video of you talking about that, you weren't so hot on having to suck up to dolby, were you? But that's essentially what you're saying here. You want someone to buy a product and continually send it to you for upgrades ($). Of course nobody wants you to stop making products or upgrades, we all want bigger and better and faster!

But the real reason that the bifrost makes sense from schiit's perspective, is that it keeps the money in house. If you buy a modi multibit and you sell it to later buy something else from schiit, some of the money changing hands hasn't been given to schiit. If you buy a bifrost and continually upgrade it, the only entity you give money to is schiit. The only benefit to schiit of going the modi route is that it's maybe another piece of schiit hardware in the hands of a consumer, improving brand recognition and loyalty.

So I understand. And I understand that the bifrost will one day be capable of sound far better than the mimby. But not only is the mimby still a better buy for the consumer, but we as the consumer are not guaranteed a single penny of extra worth of the bifrost. You say you will come out with these upgrades, and you almost certainly will, but we are not guaranteed that. Again, strictly from a business perspective, you always have to evaluate your upgrade paths. You have to take all these things into consideration.

So in my opinion, the only people that should buy bifrosts are people who will definitely want to upgrade later, do not plan on moving up to another schiit dac (gumby/yggy/future dac), and most importantly, are schiit fanboys who want to make sure that schiit makes as much money off of them as possible. Undoubtedly many will fall into this last category, but for most of us who like schiit purely on a value of their products basis, the mimby is such a better buy that the bifrost is entirely out of the question. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back