Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,416 of 4,588

The Mimby is disposable if Schiit comes out with USB 3 or Multibit 2.0 you might need to replace the Mimby instead of upgrading the Bifrost again.

Actually the Mimby as it is would remain unaffected. Unless someone from Schiit breaks into your house and takes a hammer to it
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,418 of 4,588
  Actually the Mimby as it is would remain unaffected. Unless someone from Schiit breaks into your house and takes a hammer to it
eek.gif

True, just as his Bifrost is just as good and unaffected today as when he bought it.   But if someone is wanting today's new and shiny upgrade, I bet they would want tomorrows new and shiny upgrade even more...

wink.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,419 of 4,588

True, just as his Bifrost is just as good and unaffected today as when he bought it.   But if someone is wanting today's new and shiny upgrade, I bet they would want tomorrows new and shiny upgrade even more...

wink.gif

I already pulled the trigger on the Modi 2 Multibit (and sold Bifrost 4490), but, for what is worth, if something new and shiny comes up later, at this price point on Modi2 MB, I can easily take 1/2 (or less) in loss if I sell it at that time, and buy the new stuff.

I will deal with this then.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,420 of 4,588
  I already pulled the trigger on the Modi 2 Multibit (and sold Bifrost 4490), but, for what is worth, if something new and shiny comes up later, at this price point on Modi2 MB, I can easily take 1/2 (or less) in loss if I sell it at that time, and buy the new stuff.

I will deal with this then.

Congrats on your new toy...

beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,421 of 4,588
I would upgrade your Bifrost.  Baldr has stated that the Bifrost platform has at least 5 more years in the Schiit plan.

The Mimby is disposable if Schiit comes out with USB 3 or Multibit 2.0 you might need to replace the Mimby instead of upgrading the Bifrost again.   If you spend $250.00 to upgrade the Bifrost its resale value will be higher also I have seen used Bimbys going for around $450.00 to $500.00.  Plus the Bifrost has a better power supply than the Mimby.

IMHO, YMMY, yada yada yada
:beerchug:

I had both Mimby and Bimby sitting at my desk for some time before I decided to sell Bimby. I don't think the price difference is justified between these two units. The cost was not an issue - it is just that to my ears Bimby is not an upgrade over Mimby - it is more of a side move.

In regards to its upgradability. Look at the original Bifrost owners who bought original Bifrost couple of years ago at $499, upgraded it later to USB 2 ($100) and UBER ($150). And later to Multibit for $250. Shipping for these two upgrades was probably $100 (CONUS). Basically their cost to date for Bifrost Multibit $1,100. When they sell it now even at $500 it is $600 loss (cost of use) over time.

Now take this $1,100 less Mimby of $250. There is $850 they could've used over the three years to spend on dacs (non-upgradable DS like Modi uber, Modi 2 uber - they still could've sold those for 50% of their original cost) with almost the same SQ and will still have he cash left.

I think the only thing that will save Bimby now is a balanced out to Jot, which looks like an expensive option if at all possible.

I'm still wondering how many Bimbys schiit sold after Mimbys release. Probably not many. These are just my $0.02.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,422 of 4,588
I will take a bimby with a tube buffer...possible?:grin:

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,423 of 4,588
If they release a Bifrost 2.0 with multibit and balanced outputs for $600-$700 I would be on board for sure. Right now the Modi Multibit sounds so good with S/PDIF I dont know that I would want an "upgrade" unless it was balanced.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,424 of 4,588
  I would upgrade your Bifrost.  Baldr has stated that the Bifrost platform has at least 5 more years in the Schiit plan.

The Mimby is disposable if Schiit comes out with USB 3 or Multibit 2.0 you might need to replace the Mimby instead of upgrading the Bifrost again.   If you spend $250.00 to upgrade the Bifrost its resale value will be higher also I have seen used Bimbys going for around $450.00 to $500.00.  Plus the Bifrost has a better power supply than the Mimby.

IMHO, YMMY, yada yada yada
beerchug.gif

Makes perfect sense

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,426 of 4,588
Hello,

I am new here,

I was wondering how the tube sound is on this gear...

I read it was less warmth than typical tube sound and more transparency,

Could you add more tube sound with tube rolling or is that sound it comes with basically what you get?

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,427 of 4,588
Modi Multibit is a DAC with a solid state design. It doesn't have a tube in it. To get a tube with the Mimby you would need a tube amplifier like a Vali 2. I have this combo and really like it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,428 of 4,588
  There is a 15% restocking fee on the Modi, so you out of $50-60 after you send your mimby back considering shipping both ways. Not saying it is bad or unfair, just something to be aware of, especially for international customers.

For international that shipping cost would be quite high I imagine.

You guys are right, I forgot about this point!

But my point about Schiit being awesome still stands though :wink:

And also, they are one of the very few companies willing to do this for international customers. Most of the shops here won't allow this (with good reason)

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,429 of 4,588

You guys are right, I forgot about this point!

But my point about Schiit being awesome still stands though :wink:

And also, they are one of the very few companies willing to do this for international customers. Most of the shops here won't allow this (with good reason)

Exactly, I'm not faulting Schiit for this I'm just stating you are still in for some loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back