Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,386 of 4,588
Here is a quote from blue jeans cables on the subject in response to a question asked on their amazon listing for a 3ft coax cable:

"We have heard the notion of 1.5m being the optimal length for SPDIF, but cannot make heads or tails of the claim -- it simply doesn't make any sense at all from a technical perspective.
When it comes to how long a cable should be, we always think of the story of Abraham Lincoln being asked by two men -- one rather long-legged and the other rather short-legged -- what the best length for a man's legs was. Lincoln replied, "long enough to reach the ground." In the same way, we think the optimal length for a cable, barring some technical constraint (e.g., maximum working length), is "long enough to reach from the one device to the other." Of course, it's never a bad thing to have an extra couple of feet so that the cable isn't under any physical strain when in place, and so that equipment can be moved without damage to cables."

Well it really does depend on the quality of the cable and the amplification at the source as any signal dissipates over distance and that distance is based on resistance.

Now if it were optical it shouldn't matter the length as its fiber and doesn't really lose light across the distance of the cable.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #2,387 of 4,588
To me, the only difference between Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit is the upgradabilty on the Bifrost. Just looking at the specs.

Is that true?

Price difference is huge.

Are there any other Multibit DACs out there but Schiit?

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,388 of 4,588
  Well it really does depend on the quality of the cable and the amplification at the source as any signal dissipates over distance and that distance is based on resistance.

Now if it were optical it shouldn't matter the length as its fiber and doesn't really lose light across the distance of the cable.

Optical is not the preferred SPDIF option. Coax is. Yes, there are variables involved but getting a 1.5 meter or longer cable pretty much prevents problems with reflection. I don't know what the folks at Blue Jeans don't get. The article I posted a link to explains the issue so almost anyone can understand it.

I was just trying to help someone out. I guess I should refrain from doing that!

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,389 of 4,588
To me, the only difference between Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit is the upgradabilty on the Bifrost. Just looking at the specs.

Is that true?

Sure, Metrum Acoustics and Audio-gd come to mind. There is good a number of NOS DACs out there based on the vintage Philips chips TDA1541/43, which can sound nice but are in a slightly different league imo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #2,390 of 4,588
No need to repeat the same thing over and over again. If the guy wants a short cable let him buy a short cable, as according to all the non-committal statements in that article it most likely won't effect him anyway.

Here's a 4 foot cable if you don't want a super long cable hanging off your dac but you are worried that 3 ft might be sonically inferior to any other length.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMZX5RI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m74QybMKGFXVK

I think my coax cable is around 15cm but i have a ifi spdif purifier to counter that.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,391 of 4,588
I think my coax cable is around 15cm but i have a ifi spdif purifier to counter that.

I see you have a Singxer F-1 in there as your USB>SPDIF Coax DDC. How is that working out for you? Is the sound better than with USB? Did you add the spdif purifier because you had coax issues or as a precaution? Do you have anything between the Singxer F-1 and the PC?

I have a Singxer F-1 coming in the next week or so. I am going to try it all by itself and see how that sounds.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,392 of 4,588
I see you have a Singxer F-1 in there as your USB>SPDIF Coax DDC. How is that working out for you? Is the sound better than with USB? Did you add the spdif purifier because you had coax issues or as a precaution? Do you have anything between the Singxer F-1 and the PC?

I have a Singxer F-1 coming in the next week or so. I am going to try it all by itself and see how that sounds.

F1 is a nifty DDC with a good clocking mechanism. I use it to avoid usb circuitry. I use ifi spdif purifier to avoid paying high price for top end coax cable :grinning:Using Belden 1694A and true 75ohm BNC canare plug with matching canare rca adapter. I might try different true 75ohm cable from digital communication industries cable brand - on the cheap:grin:to hear any differences.

Yes. I have ifi purifier 2 input to F1. From PC i have idefender & isilence double linkage.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,393 of 4,588

Is that true?

MHDT Labs makes some good, decently priced R2R DAC's based on vintage chips.  I have heard good things about the Atlantis considering the price.  That being said, Modi Multibit is the standout in this category for it's unbeatable price to sound quality ratio.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,394 of 4,588

Is that true?

Bump!

Anybody could tell me whether paying $350 more for the Bifrost Multibit vs. Modi Multibit makes any sense?

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,396 of 4,588
t

If you feel you'll be willing to spend even more $$$ on upgrades in the future then yes, otherwise no. My understanding they are very similar internally.

This has been discussed on several threads.

I have Modi Multibit, Bifrost MB, and Gungnir MB, to me each step up is a step up :)

Only you can determine what works best for you and your ears/budget.

JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,398 of 4,588
  t

I have Modi Multibit, Bifrost MB, and Gungnir MB, to me each step up is a step up :)

JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Thanks! Well said. I appreciate you sharing your actual experiences, although, having all three of them beats me :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,399 of 4,588
  t

JMTC & IMHO,
r2

Couldn't agree more. Safer to start small tho to see if you like it, of so you can always move up. For example I'm currently debating if I should keep my MMB, while do share the opinion that it is an unbeatable device at the price I find I like more relaxed sound, which mimby is not. Bitfrost MB likely has a similar sound signature, so not much point to go there for me.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,400 of 4,588
  MHDT Labs makes some good, decently priced R2R DAC's based on vintage chips.  I have heard good things about the Atlantis considering the price.  That being said, Modi Multibit is the standout in this category for it's unbeatable price to sound quality ratio.

I checked into those and the prices are insane in comparison!

I don't think anything else multibit even comes within $300 of the price of the Modi Multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back