Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #211 of 4,588
  You could but hardware EQ is always better than software EQ.  Software EQ can add distortion while hardware typically does not.  I had thought about the vali 2 but I was afraid to purchase it first before having a solid state amp because i have heard tube amps tend to distort/blur the sound and make it warmer this is pleasant but you sort of loose the fine details.  if anyone can chime in and confirm ?

the modern high quality 64 bit software EQs don't have that problem.  They're not cheap though.  A lot of people who feel this way have this feeling because of freebie software EQ programs.  

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #212 of 4,588
just ordered mine.  potentially replacing the AudioEngine D1 in my smaller home rig.  Will be fun to pit it against the m9XX and iDAC6 to see how the lowest end multibit DACs stand up to the higher end of delta sigma (or at least what I view as the highest end delta sigma).

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #214 of 4,588
redundant.  oops.

uh, to get back on topic, I'll definitely be doing a m9XX v MoMBy (or whatever we are calling it) once it comes in since I've seen a lot of questions about that.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #215 of 4,588
  Hey schiit would it be possible to make an amp with like a slider on the side starts of cold and analytical (treble head) then you slide it more to the right and it gets closer to neutral.  The middle area of the slider is neutral and then as you slide it more to the right it gets warmer.   Perfect idea right one amp could suite anyone's taste from cold and analytical to warm and inviting and neutral for everyone in-between.  

Make it so Schiit =D

So you want some schiity tone controls?

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #216 of 4,588
  Agreed. I used the Magni 2 U for a Preamp driving desktop speakers for a while and I have the same impressions. I do use a Vali 2 for Cans at work almost every day. I like em both, Prefer the Vali 2 though. I like the tube sound.

I do love that Vali 2. I shouldn't have returned that to you! I felt like it was more engaging and just fun than the Asgard 2. Certainly not as powerful, but very enjoyable to listen to.

It's all good now, MJ2 is holding down all required duties. Just wish the thing muted the preamp outs when headphones were connected. Sigh.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #217 of 4,588
  I have just taken delivery of my Mimby. It is fantastic and can hold its fort vs my Yggy at the initial listen. The Mimby will be a big hit and send shockwave to the industry. Thank you Jason and everyone at Schiit for putting the R2R multibit sound in such a tiny footprint and at a crazy price. 

What happened to the mandatory 72-hour stabilisation phase for multibit DACs or does that only apply to the Yggy ??? Purrin and Mike were very upfront about this, and it gels with my own experience with other DACs - straight out the box, I dont expect magic from anything.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #218 of 4,588
Pleas do let us know how the m9xx compares.  I was going to order that...but then the modi muiltibit came out and i was like hmm..... I have several delta sigma dacs why not try a multibit this time.   Several minute latter modi multibit ordered. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #219 of 4,588
  You could but hardware EQ is always better than software EQ.  Software EQ can add distortion while hardware typically does not.  I had thought about the vali 2 but I was afraid to purchase it first before having a solid state amp because i have heard tube amps tend to distort/blur the sound and make it warmer this is pleasant but you sort of loose the fine details.  if anyone can chime in and confirm ?

Sounds like you got your info from people who never heard a good amp
wink_face.gif
.  See below

Please excuse the brevity:

I generally prefer tubes, except when it is an impedance/current issue to drive cans directly.  <snipped>

If you don't know who Baldr is the primary driving force of this Multibit Schiit Dacs and not to be a kiss ass or put words in his mouth but I would say he qualifies as an audio legend and really do you think schiit would build tube amps if they sounded like Schitt? 

Quote:.

I do love that Vali 2. I shouldn't have returned that to you! I felt like it was more engaging and just fun than the Asgard 2. Certainly not as powerful, but very enjoyable to listen to.

It's all good now, MJ2 is holding down all required duties. Just wish the thing muted the preamp outs when headphones were connected. Sigh.

Yes, That Vali 2 was the Gateway drug to your MJ2. I was listening to the Vali 2 most of the day in the office thinking about what the Mimby/Vali2 Combo would sound like. Damn i'm going to go hide my wallet so when I am a few beers in I don't make a rash decision.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #221 of 4,588
very excited!

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #222 of 4,588
Sounds like you got your info from people who never heard a good amp :wink_face: .  See below

If you don't know who Baldr is the primary driving force of this Multibit Schiit Dacs and not to be a kiss ass or put words in his mouth but I would say he qualifies as an audio legend and really do you think schiit would build tube amps if they sounded like Schitt? 

Yes, That Vali 2 was the Gateway drug to your MJ2. I was listening to the Vali 2 most of the day in the office thinking about what the Mimby/Vali2 Combo would sound like. Damn i'm going to go hide my wallet so when I am a few beers in I don't make a rash decision.

Lots of detail plus a smidgen of tube goodness with my Bifrost MB and Vali 2. Heavenly.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #224 of 4,588

What happened to the mandatory 72-hour stabilisation phase for multibit DACs or does that only apply to the Yggy ??? Purrin and Mike were very upfront about this, and it gels with my own experience with other DACs - straight out the box, I dont expect magic from anything.

Mike said 24 hours (somewhere around here). OTOH, my Yggy sounded great after two hours. True, it got better from there but...it shamed my BMC PureDAC - the best of the 5 DS dacs I've owned - right away.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #225 of 4,588

Two factors: One is that it takes 32x less time to stabilize to 16 bit rather than 21 bit levels.  The second is that things heat up much faster in a teeny box.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back