Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #196 of 4,588
Hey schiit would it be possible to make an amp with like a slider on the side starts of cold and analytical (treble head) then you slide it more to the right and it gets closer to neutral.  The middle area of the slider is neutral and then as you slide it more to the right it gets warmer.   Perfect idea right one amp could suite anyone's taste from cold and analytical to warm and inviting and neutral for everyone in-between.  

Make it so Schiit =D

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #197 of 4,588
  Ok you do realize you just made everyone start salivating while we wait to get ours right?  SO unfair =P.   I ordered the mimby and the magni 2, i was thinking of getting the asgard 2 hopefully the magni 2 is good enough. 

Also could you give us a more detailed comparison of the two i am curious and i am sure everyone else is as to how close the mimby is to the yggy. 

Can't help it. This tiny footprint Mimby means more to me than all the other multibit releases. Sure, I will post some impressions at the mimby dac thread as I have more listening time with it. Still warming it up at 12.5h. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815397/schiit-modi-multibit-dac

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #198 of 4,588
In my opinion my Magni 2Ü leans toward neutral/bright but less edgy sounding than the original Magni. I don't consider this a bad thing as I like detail. On the other hand I find the Vali 2 a little warmer than the Magni. I prefer the Vali 2 because it's more versatile in that you can tailor the sound by rolling tubes. Although the Magni 2Ü is a bit more powerful than the Vali 2, both have plenty of power and have no difficulty driving my HD650 and HE500.

Agreed. I used the Magni 2 U for a Preamp driving desktop speakers for a while and I have the same impressions. I do use a Vali 2 for Cans at work almost every day. I like em both, Prefer the Vali 2 though. I like the tube sound.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #199 of 4,588
  Hey schiit would it be possible to make an amp with like a slider on the side starts of cold and analytical (treble head) then you slide it more to the right and it gets closer to neutral.  The middle area of the slider is neutral and then as you slide it more to the right it gets warmer.   Perfect idea right one amp could suite anyone's taste from cold and analytical to warm and inviting and neutral for everyone in-between.  

Make it so Schiit =D

Why not just grab a high quality software EQ with couple presets?

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #202 of 4,588
Quick put a quantum chip on that wall wart! It'll make your Mimby sound an Yggy!

biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #204 of 4,588
I keep seeing warm up. Now does that mean you plug it in turn it on and let it sit for 12 hours or can you listen to it. But it will sound better once fully warmed up?

Baldr (DAC designer) has said that warm up is 24 hours, after which it will sound its best. You can leave it on all the time. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #205 of 4,588
I keep seeing warm up. Now does that mean you plug it in turn it on and let it sit for 12 hours or can you listen to it. But it will sound better once fully warmed up?

The latter.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #206 of 4,588
You could but hardware EQ is always better than software EQ.  Software EQ can add distortion while hardware typically does not.  I had thought about the vali 2 but I was afraid to purchase it first before having a solid state amp because i have heard tube amps tend to distort/blur the sound and make it warmer this is pleasant but you sort of loose the fine details.  if anyone can chime in and confirm ?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #207 of 4,588
My MM was rescheduled for delivery on Monday. Looking forward to hearing from those of you that took delivery yesterday / today.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #208 of 4,588
Here’s my listening impression of Mimby at 13h:

I love my Yggy. I read all the online reviews and audition it before buying. One of my favourite online reviews is on Headphone Guru by Paddy Carroll. It is also partially quoted on Schiit’s Yggy Review page. I am going to quote from Headphone Guru site so you see what Paddy wrote:

"The Yggdrasil has an amazing way of reproducing the sound of three dimensional space. This quality is most evident in acoustic recordings such as the Belcea Quartets 2013 recording of Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets. This recording that is exceptionally well made and a perfect test for the Yggdrasil. Naturalness in tone is incredibly important for chamber music like this. The cello and violin were presented by the Yggdrasil in ways that I had never heard before. The speed and attack of Corina Belcea’s bowing on these pieces was astonishing! Every minute detail is displayed wonderfully – the contact of each bow on the string and the reverberations through the sound hole are perfectly captured. There are other elements to the recording that become far more apparent with the Yggdrasil. Breaths taking by the four musicians and movements of the arms and feet are all amplified creating a much more intimate listening experience.

My set up for listening tonight - Macbook > Schiit PYST USB cable > Mimby, Yggy > DH Lab RCA > Ragnarok > HD800S and HE1000.

I must have gone over ten/twenty albums, skipping tracks and moving to favourite segments. I will just share my impression from listening to the Belcea Quartets 2013: The Complete String Quartets Track and Amber Rubarth 2012 Album: Sessions From the 17th Ward, especially Track 3 Strive. 

Since Mimby only has 4X Closed-Form Filter, single AD5547CRUZ processor compared to Yggy's 8X Closed-Form Filter, 4x AD5791BRUZ processors, it is not surprising that the Mimby delivers the multibit essence but not every minute detail as perfectly as the Yggy. Through the Mimby, the cello and violin were still pleasing and natural sounding with speed and attack of bowing, contact of each bow on the string and the reverberations perfectly captured much like on the Yggy. The string timbre and decay were comparable although the Yggy had more juicy texture/detail especially for cello. Soundstage wise, the Mimby width and 3 dimensionality are matching to the Yggy and I can still get a sense of the size of the concert hall and positioning of the instruments.

After 10-15 minutes of serious A/B switching, I lost my interest to compare Mimby vs. Yggy. The Mimby’s less detailed presentation is equally captivating and I continued with the Mimby for song after song. It is relaxing and addictive DAC, perhaps a good choice for prolonged listening and also for relaxing and winding down on a Friday night. 

More listening impression to be continued as my Mimby warm up continues. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #210 of 4,588
Thank you for your comparison, I appreciate that highly. After reading up on what you said earlier on the other thread about it not being far behind your Yggy I went and ordered one from the European Schiit dealer, should have it within a week and a half or so, looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back