Gustard X20 DAC
Apr 21, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #631 of 1,320
Sounded like your setup would match with SME very well, the 30 MK2 is very nice indeed and shows the level of analog we are talking about here and why I can really give a different weight to your statements regarding the DAC. Also to the overall balancing of the system and the room conditioning, placement and the matching shows either a very good installer and/or very knowledgable with good ear, so this to me gives a different weight to those statements that have to be taken with a grain of salt. I think you have me and most other people sold at his point:wink:

The ex-installer (actually just a humble mostly ex-employee of a very high-end discreet clientel installer friend of mine) in me would be curious how that would compare to a TotalDac tube MK2 or even a whole system Totaldac twelve. I consider that the non-plus ultra of R2R dacs giving all the details of the best sabre implementations. Any experinece there, usually go very well with SME systems. We often install both together frequently even though the Chronos got a bit of hype this year.

By the way nice system, budget conscious high end. Meaning nowing where to spend the money to have the desired effect and not shying back from testing. Congrats.

That was quite a journey, and then risking such a change and putting yourself out there, hats off to you.

Take Care,
WB

Years and years of this hobby and a great friendship with Wally Malewicz have taught me a lot about audio and set up of audio, get the science right then use your ears to fine tune.  That is my motto. We use the audiomatica clio hardware/software program to set up our systems.  The reverb is really good and to my liking and the response from 20-20K is very impressive, eq'ing on the bass only really helps.  This room has a max length of over 35 feet so bass is pretty good with no eq with eq it is extremely linear with no emphasis on any particular frequency.  But that is getting off topic, suffice it to say it is really good.  I did say I am extremely fortunate to have.....

No experience with total dac stuff, my buddy in MN has the second from the top Wadax digital preamp, very impressive, wish I was there to compare to that.  His system has an amazing sound stage with excellent transparency.  it would be fun to hear the $900 dac against that.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #632 of 1,320

Years and years of this hobby and a great friendship with Wally Malewicz have taught me a lot about audio and set up of audio, get the science right then use your ears to fine tune.  That is my motto. We use the audiomatica clio hardware/software program to set up our systems.  The reverb is really good and to my liking and the response from 20-20K is very impressive, eq'ing on the bass only really helps.  This room has a max length of over 35 feet so bass is pretty good with no eq with eq it is extremely linear with no emphasis on any particular frequency.  But that is getting off topic, suffice it to say it is really good.  I did say I am extremely fortunate to have.....

No experience with total dac stuff, my buddy in MN has the second from the top Wadax digital preamp, very impressive, wish I was there to compare to that.  His system has an amazing sound stage with excellent transparency.  it would be fun to hear the $900 dac against that.

Absolutely, maybe Wally will have one to play around or you can get in contact with someone else. This would be interesting in comparing, but if a modded X20 comes anywhere near a TotalDac that would really turn hifi on its head. If you really want to mess with the high end world you would place a x20 in a $5000 room at a convention. Wonder if you coud do that with a Nola trio setup. 2700 + 800 would leave 1500 for amp, and the rest. Could work. Probably other options too, but if someone does that it could upend quite something.

Anyhow, this post will likely get a lot more people to try the Dac and its probably only a matter of time until they get a good distributor. In Europe there now is one in the UK with repairs that will avoid you having to pay for import and VAT (ca. 28% to 36% extra plus hassle of customs office).

Between the modding community and all those just wanting the convenience of digital this will upend everything. Now if they incorporate the upgades with a nicer chasis and bettter DSD, say for 1200-1500 this would be the way. Unfortunately this will likely result in Vega prices, but it would allow for two target groups, DIY/moders and the typical high end. Lets see, likely will not happen in 6 months to a year and it looks like you already reached sonic nirvana anyway.

The only sad thing will be the SME 30-2 that will collect dust. What a fine piece of engineering and manufacturing. Comparing it to some other high end digital is what is needed at this point, not familiar with the Wadax but it looks nice which is still the big catch-up category for Chinese.

Didn't know they used Automatica much in the US. Yeah measuring and having the basics right before you finetune is done way to little. It often becomes comparing isolated components in a dick measuring contest instead of setting up the parameters to properly experimentally (meaning keep everything except on manipulated variable constant and allowing the full potential/effect to manifest without impeding the outcome) test equipment. Unfortunately these are the details that are less sexy and cannot be posted on facebook or forums but only experienced. It also requires room treatments and this becomes a "wife" issue. This also takes a lot of work, time and resources to do properly. Issues you avoid with HPs. For me extraordinary thing is that with around 7K you could have a highend HP system now. Or just add some powered studio monitors...

This is exactly what the hobby needs to get people back to the music and reduce the gap in high end. The more people that listen to high res the more they will request well recorded and especially well mastered music, which is what is really needed. Only then will there be a true demand for good mastering if sufficient people actually can assess it.

Cheers
WB

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #633 of 1,320
Whoo hoo
beerchug.gif
The second Gustard is in the house, hopefully I will have enough time with it to hear it broken in as stock against the modded one.  Then it too will be modded.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #634 of 1,320
Whoo hoo
beerchug.gif
The second Gustard is in the house, hopefully I will have enough time with it to hear it broken in as stock against the modded one.  Then it too will be modded.

Like the "scientific" approach to that. Will be hard waiting more than 300hrs for it to burn in porperly though.
You would then ideally do a set of reversible mods as an intermediary step and then compare again for the benefit of everyone.

Cheers
WB

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #635 of 1,320
Ho lee fook mang, I'm seriously interested in this but cant download the manual. Me Chineez not berry good.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #637 of 1,320
Like the "scientific" approach to that. Will be hard waiting more than 300hrs for it to burn in porperly though.
You would then ideally do a set of reversible mods as an intermediary step and then compare again for the benefit of everyone.

Cheers
WB

You made a funny, yea thats what I'll do.  I'll wait a week then start the process.  BBQ comps coming soon so will be distracted.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #638 of 1,320
You made a funny, yea thats what I'll do.  I'll wait a week then start the process.  BBQ comps coming soon so will be distracted.

My man, barbeque competitions, not there yet but the season has started for me as well, a few thunderstorms while bbqing will put no end to that anytime soon. Well you can also do the burn in of the X20 while you bbq so also not really an excuse:wink:

Have fun and good luck. May Hephaestus shine on your bbging and moding eneavors.

WB

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #639 of 1,320
Hi !  i bought one but the link to manual and windows drivers in the page do not work !!!!  
eek.gif
frown.gif

http://www.ebay.it/itm/111708547958?euid=26a93677055047f384a7bbf128cda768&cp=1

Can any kind soul give me help ? do you have a link to the drivers at least ?
Only need drivers for win 7 
Thanks a lot
Regards,  gino 

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #642 of 1,320
Sorry Ginetto, but Outlook and gmail will not allow me to send the driver as it is an .exe file. Both of the X20 DACs that I ordered came with a CD with the driver on it. Hopefully yours will too.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #643 of 1,320

Try this http://pan.baidu.com/s/1ntDUtqp

Click the 1.2MB download button on the top row of the text (after XMOS Stereo ...)

Then click the left button to initiate the download

The install will first delete any existing XMOS Drivers
And then do a fresh install of this driver
If successful, go to control panel and you will see the following ...

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #644 of 1,320
Sorry Ginetto, but Outlook and gmail will not allow me to send the driver as it is an .exe file.
Both of the X20 DACs that I ordered came with a CD with the driver on it. Hopefully yours will too.

Good morning !  no problem
i have emailed the seller saying that i have problem with the link attached
i get an alert like a virus or something
In the worst scenario i could always use the little brother U12 ... via AES/EBU that i love.
Thanks a lot again
gino

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #645 of 1,320

Try this http://pan.baidu.com/s/1ntDUtqp

Click the 1.2MB download button on the top row of the text (after XMOS Stereo ...)

Then click the left button to initiate the download

The install will first delete any existing XMOS Drivers
And then do a fresh install of this driver
If successful, go to control panel and you will see the following ...

Hi ! thanks a lot indeed for the kind link
I will try this evening because now i am using the office pc
wink.gif

As i said in the worst scenario i will use a usb to spdif converter
actually i wonder how good is the usb interface on the Gustard X20 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot again
gino 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back