Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Oct 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #63 of 3,700
Got my Gustard U12 today, and it sounds excellent.  Much better device than the Peachtree X1.  The X1 by itself sounded pretty harsh with distorted highs and was unlistenable to me without a Wyrd.  Clearly the USB +5V noise was beyond it and affected its PLL badly.  Swapping out the X1 for the U12 helped smooth out and clean up the sound substantially, and although I can tell on any recording it's most noticeable on really bad ones (think Amy Winehouse / Back in Black).  When I have time I'm going to try it with only the U12 and no Wyrd.  But between the X1 and U12 there's no question which is better spent money...
+1. I notice a smoothness or greater musical flow across the board. Better defined bass as well.. Are you running the ASIO driver?

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #66 of 3,700
+1. I notice a smoothness or greater musical flow across the board. Better defined bass as well.. Are you running the ASIO driver?

I'm using a MacBook Pro with the system drivers and Audirvana+ 2.0.2 with SRC to 176/192k enabled.  6db, 0.85 pre-ring, 1.3M frame window.  The U12 announces it can handle 384k, so had to limit it to 176/192k...

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #67 of 3,700
  Got my Gustard U12 today, and it sounds excellent.  Much better device than the Peachtree X1.  The X1 by itself sounded pretty harsh with distorted highs and was unlistenable to me without a Wyrd.  Clearly the USB +5V noise was beyond it and affected its PLL badly.  Swapping out the X1 for the U12 helped smooth out and clean up the sound substantially, and although I can tell on any recording it's most noticeable on really bad ones (think Amy Winehouse / Back in Black).  When I have time I'm going to try it with only the U12 and no Wyrd.  But between the X1 and U12 there's no question which is better spent money...

Do you meant the X1 usb to spdif converter or the external dac,  Because when you said X1 I thought you meant the usb to spdif converter which I have. You think the wyrd or a powered usb hub may help the X1 usb to spdif converter.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #68 of 3,700
The Bifrost isn't nearly as sensitive to USB noise as the Yulong Sabre D18.  But it also doesn't have the same clear highs and is overall far more relaxed and mellow sounding.  The D18 is brutally unforgiving.  One could call it transparency, but I don't think it's transparency in a good sense.  Properly fed however it's really nice.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #69 of 3,700

Ya'll got me intrigued with this. Looks so simple and clean. Any comparisons to other common USB converters? 

I've had the M2Tech EVO fed with a custom linear ps, an Audiophilleo2 and a Musiland USB 3.0 fed by a Aqvox linear ps. It's better then all of those in my system.

Better than an Audiophileo? That's a pretty strong statement. Thanks for the info.

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #70 of 3,700
Better than an Audiophileo? That's a pretty strong statement. Thanks for the info.
Yes, and with Jplay! I never did get the battery supply. I really liked the M2Tech EVO which I did try with a Lipo battery ps, but preferred the Apocain Yellow Box linear ps I built. But the Musiland surpassed both of those. The Gustard is at a whole new level.

I would love to try the Berkeley Audio Alpha USB. But it's $1890.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #72 of 3,700
Mine arrived today and the smile cannot be wiped from my face. I always had my skepticism about reclockers but 0.1PPM made me sit up and take notice.

No bloom, No glare, smooth passage into the ear canal without any harsh ringing.

My recommendation is to buy it now before the price sky rockets and buy shares in Gustard!

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #73 of 3,700
Mine arrived today and the smile cannot be wiped from my face. I always had my skepticism about reclockers but 0.1PPM made me sit up and take notice.

No bloom, No glare, smooth passage into the ear canal without any harsh ringing.

My recommendation is to buy it now before the price sky rockets and buy shares in Gustard!

Yea, I've had the U10 for several months and it has to be one of the best buys in audio. Amazing performance even forgetting the low price.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #75 of 3,700

+1. My second one arrives today, for my other system. The 1st has been running for days now without a single error, unlock, or hiccup. Even during a storm we had, when the power faded a few times. Pretty awesome sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back