Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,056 of 3,700
  i had channel swap using the hydra i2s with an x12 dac, but i haven't opened up the hydra to play with the its i2s options yet.

I suppose the default I2S configuration of Hydra Z is "PS Audio", which means Pin No.1/3 and 7/9 are reversed compared with X12 (and U12, Tanly).  7/9 makes channel swap, 1/3 absolute phase polarity swap.
On the other hand, I am sure that U12 has a channel swap for DSD.  The owners of both U12 and X12 say there is no channel swap for DSD by connecting both with an HDMI cable.
This means X12 has a DSD channel swap internally in case HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD input is used.  Its USB input seems to have been fixed regarding this issue, but not for HDMI LVDS input.
If Gustard fixes this for HDMI LVDS input, then the faulty output of U12 will become obvious and they have to fix U12 as well.
I assume Gustard does not want to fix U12 and leave X12's HDMI LVDS faulty input intentionally unfixed.  I am also afraid that the new DAC-X20 might have the same issue.
In case Hydra Z has no DSD channel swap (and it should be without such a problem), connecting Hydra Z to X12 will cause DSD channel swap due to X12.  You have to change the internal dip switch of Hydra Z every time you change between PCM and DSD.....

Unless you experience channel swap for DSD with X12 (i.e., in your current Hydra Z configuration, PCM swapped, DSD also swapped), then Hydra Z has the same issue as U12.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #2,058 of 3,700
  just tried redbook files. i wonder if i set it to dsd over pcm it will correct? my next dac will be nos, so no i2s/dsd for the interim. thanks for the heads up, i believe you are correct.

http://www.2l.no/hires/
This is a famous site for all kinds of high resolution files.  You can try DSD128.
The output of U12 for DSD is always DSD native (LDATA, RDATA, DSDCLK) regardless of USB input (DSD native or DoP), and I assume Hydra Z as well.

To check if Hydra Z output is correct, you should experience PCM channel swap and DSD correct playback with your current Hydra Z dip switch position and X12.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2,059 of 3,700
It looks like a new comer,

http://world.tmall.com/item/16859309652.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.5.Scd7OU&scm=1007.10146.6070.0&id=16859309652&pvid=4a4ef157-ae67-4a0b-b5ef-eb019a99067d&skuId=41395939971

Regards,

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,060 of 3,700
  It looks like a new comer,

http://world.tmall.com/item/16859309652.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.5.Scd7OU&scm=1007.10146.6070.0&id=16859309652&pvid=4a4ef157-ae67-4a0b-b5ef-eb019a99067d&skuId=41395939971

Regards,

Hello Riemann,

I can't see why this would be a new contender, it's psu is as simple as U12, it even hasn't I2S output, and price at RMB1599 isn't that cheap too.
Only advantage it has is the anti-vibration method for the XO's.

Regards,

Alex

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,061 of 3,700
Hello Alex,

Yes, you're right, this new comer is truly lack of competitiveness. But it shares a common point  with Berkeley/Alpha, both are not equipped with I2S.

Regards,

Riemann

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,063 of 3,700
I have a love/ hate relationship with the U12.

Love - The price is right on this one.  And excellent HDMI I2S performance.   

Love - It sounds great driving I2S to the AGD Master 7 DAC.  So good I like it as much as the Off Ramp 5 and adds even more weight, depth, and 3d which is wonderful.  

Hate - The U12 XMOS USB interface is not consistent on my main PC.  My other USB sources play without any problems.  It plays OK for hours then drops out and requires reboots/ restarts to get if going again. I'll probably by another at the low price and give it another shot.

Love - Changed the oscillators to Crystek and made a noticeable difference for the better.  The default oscillators are very good though considering the price. 

Hate - Modified the HDMI I2S interface to make it "PS Audio" like.   The next design needs jumper to select polarity of the signals on the wires like the Hydra Z does.

But the U12 sounds remarkably good for such a low price.  Spent another $100 on mods and still a bargain.   Wish it had better support but the next U12 I buy from Amazon I will make sure it works before modifying it.  Or else back it goes....     

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2,064 of 3,700
I have a love/ hate relationship with the U12.

Love - The price is right on this one.  And excellent HDMI I2S performance.   

Love - It sounds great driving I2S to the AGD Master 7 DAC.  So good I like it as much as the Off Ramp 5 and adds even more weight, depth, and 3d which is wonderful.  

Hate - The U12 XMOS USB interface is not consistent on my main PC.  My other USB sources play without any problems.  It plays OK for hours then drops out and requires reboots/ restarts to get if going again. I'll probably by another at the low price and give it another shot.

Love - Changed the oscillators to Crystek and made a noticeable difference for the better.  The default oscillators are very good though considering the price. 

Hate - Modified the HDMI I2S interface to make it "PS Audio" like.   The next design needs jumper to select polarity of the signals on the wires like the Hydra Z does.

But the U12 sounds remarkably good for such a low price.  Spent another $100 on mods and still a bargain.   Wish it had better support but the next U12 I buy from Amazon I will make sure it works before modifying it.  Or else back it goes....     

You mention using it with the master 7 and prefer it over the OR5? Interesting.
I have the master11 with the via usb32. Yet will have the amanero combo 384 in the next week. I am not sure if you think this u12 will still help if I was to stream to my master11 via HDMi i2s. I guess I'm curious how easy it is to set it up this way. I did order the m11 with HDMi instead of rj45, with intention to potentially try i2s streaming. I'm a bit concerned if it's not very reliable. Also am very interested in these mods you have talked about. is it something you would do as a service? I likely would be using a stock one otherwise. Thanks DacLadder!

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2,065 of 3,700
You mention using it with the master 7 and prefer it over the OR5? Interesting.
I have the master11 with the via usb32. Yet will have the amanero combo 384 in the next week. I am not sure if you think this u12 will still help if I was to stream to my master11 via HDMi i2s. I guess I'm curious how easy it is to set it up this way. I did order the m11 with HDMi instead of rj45, with intention to potentially try i2s streaming. I'm a bit concerned if it's not very reliable. Also am very interested in these mods you have talked about. is it something you would do as a service? I likely would be using a stock one otherwise. Thanks DacLadder!

Others are having no difficulty with the U12.  I probably have a lemon or compatibility with my system.  You have to modify the HDMI I2S output to be completely correct for a lot of DACs.  Yes, it does sound really good and makes the Master 7 shine.  I cannot do this as a service as I risk damage plus it is difficult enough for me to do on my own equipment.

I would order the Master 11 with Amanero and HDMI I2S interface if that is possible.  Sounds like you did.  The Master 7 responds well to low jitter sources.  Give the Amanero a try and see how it sounds before buying other equipment at this time.   

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,066 of 3,700
Others are having no difficulty with the U12.  I probably have a lemon or compatibility with my system.  You have to modify the HDMI I2S output to be completely correct for a lot of DACs.  Yes, it does sound really good and makes the Master 7 shine.  I cannot do this as a service as I risk damage plus it is difficult enough for me to do on my own equipment. 

I totally understand :) I may pick one of these up to give it a try. Hopefully switching the wiring to work with audio-Gd is easy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #2,067 of 3,700

I would order the Master 11 with Amanero and HDMI I2S interface if that is possible.  Sounds like you did.  The Master 7 responds well to low jitter sources.  Give the Amanero a try and see how it sounds before buying other equipment at this time.   

I am going to give this u12 a fair shot. I will entertain this if it's able to improve the sound of my master11. I ordered a black one from Amazon. Along with a .5meter DHLabs silver HDMi cable.
I just hope modding it for the audio-gd is easy enough.

Do you have anyone using devices like the schiit wyrd, or uptone USB regen? Any point?

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,068 of 3,700
I just realized there is the hydra Z and it looks great on paper. I don't know where to buy it or how much it costs. I hope I made a good choice with the u12.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,070 of 3,700
I just realized there is the hydra Z and it looks great on paper. I don't know where to buy it or how much it costs. I hope I made a good choice with the u12.

Here is the link to Audiobyte's website.  The Z is way more expensive then the U12.  There is a used one on the classifieds I believe.

Good luck with the U12.  It's a great choice for the money.

http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back