Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #931 of 1,019
Hello
Absolutly not work with Tidal Connect this firmware of wikaudio
Even worse, I can not flash back to factory 1.43 anymore! The second column on the USBimager is blank, with no option to choose. I tried the Etcher but could not see the target drive. even PC showing I successfully mounted the A26. I am stuck.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #932 of 1,019
Even worse, I can not flash back to factory 1.43 anymore! The second column on the USBimager is blank, with no option to choose.
I don’t think either of you understand what you are doing.
These are working for everyone except you two.
Go to the R26 thread and follow the instructions on how to install firmware with balena etcher.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #934 of 1,019
If all fails. Remove the microSD card inside your unit and flash/format it directly. There were cases, the microSD card were the culprit.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #935 of 1,019
If all fails. Remove the microSD card inside your unit and flash/format it directly. There were cases, the microSD card were the culprit.
Thanks for your reply. my A26 still works as a DAC after I flashed it to Wikaudio firmware, however, it does not work for me to use Tidal Connect. I tried to flash it back so I still can use the older Tidal version on Android, but it failed. I will consider your suggestion.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #936 of 1,019
If all fails. Remove the microSD card inside your unit and flash/format it directly. There were cases, the microSD card were the culprit
Pull out the card, I used an endurance 64 GB card and externally flashed the card with Wikaudio firmware, still does not work and can't be seen when in the machine through the USB cable connected. Pulled it out again, flashed the official Gustard 1.43, everything worked again. and can be seen when in the machine through the cable. I guess I will stop here till the next version comes out. Thank you,Mickey!

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #937 of 1,019
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #938 of 1,019
Hello friends, this third party firmware does not work in A26.
Please remove the download link as soon as possible.
Thank you so much
Hi, thanks for the info. I wouldn't think of installing self-help firmware in such a device myself. And that's the problem: how is it possible that with a machine that is not downright cheap we are not guaranteed that it will work fine? Version 1.43 is a year old, and for most of that time it was available surreptitiously through some user links. You advertise the A26 with the words "more protocols to come". When will that happen? When will the streamer work just right (connectivity, reliability..)?

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #939 of 1,019
Hi, thanks for the info. I wouldn't think of installing self-help firmware in such a device myself. And that's the problem: how is it possible that with a machine that is not downright cheap we are not guaranteed that it will work fine? Version 1.43 is a year old, and for most of that time it was available surreptitiously through some user links. You advertise the A26 with the words "more protocols to come". When will that happen? When will the streamer work just right (connectivity, reliability..)?
It’s worked perfectly with Roon and HQplayer since day one. There are tons of different players with their own protocols and special needs so having renderer firmware that meets all of them is a bit unrealistic. So we took matters into our own hands.
@wikaudio can you advise on the functionality. Some are saying it isn’t working, others say it’s perfect .

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #940 of 1,019
It’s worked perfectly with Roon and HQplayer since day one. There are tons of different players with their own protocols and special needs so having renderer firmware that meets all of them is a bit unrealistic. So we took matters into our own hands.
@wikaudio can you advise on the functionality. Some are saying it isn’t working, others say it’s perfect .
As for the firmware, it was improved without uploading to A26. However, I made the same corrections in R26 and it works there. Unfortunately, I couldn't check the operation of the A26 because I have an R26 and both streamers have different firmware. It's very strange that it works for some people and not for others. It should work for everyone or no one. I use MacBook and Balena Etcher for uploading, but for connection I use USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-A to USB-C cable. USB-C to USB-C doesn't work in my case.

If anyone is waiting for additional protocols, I regret to say that it probably won't happen. The A26/R26 streamer is probably designed only for Roon and possibly UPnP support. It has a very weak processor and only 128MB RAM (for comparison, Raspberry Pi 3B+ has 1GB and Raspberry Pi 4 has 2/4/8 GB), so running a new protocol requires disabling another one. What is currently available is probably everything that can work together. In R26, the last update improved reliability (stuttering during playback) but DSD via UPnP stopped working.

Gustard creates very good quality devices, but does not create its own control applications and appropriate operating system. It uses freeware that is not always optimized for the streamer. So if someone expects more, I recommend buying a transporter for which the manufacturer offers its own application with the necessary protocol. Some time ago I wanted to buy a Silent Angel transporter, but in the end I chose Roon and basically I don't need anything else.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #941 of 1,019
Ok. I read through all 63 pages. It is interesting that 90% of the posts are in regard to DDC's and streamers and issues with the internal network connection. And very few posts talking about direct sonic comparisons with other DAC's. And if they were compared, it was with things that cost twice as much (stratospheric in my book). I admit that when contemplating whether to try this DAC, these types of high dollar comparisons made me think that this must be a very seriously good sounding piece of equipment in order to have it considered in such expensive and dialed in systems.

My signal chain at the moment is laptop> Foobar or Qobuz ASIO> USB (Excalibur/ Viborg/ various ebay/ Hosa/ Starteck/ etc.)> DAC> XLR or RCA DIY interconnects of Nordost Silver plated-air insulated cable, (or boxes full of other interconnects from Audio Quest to ebay that I will never care about again now that I am using the Nordost.)> VMV P2 amp> 4 pin solid Silver headphone cable> HiFiMan HE1000SE. The 3 DACs I have to compare are the Gustard A26, Burson Conductor Reference SE with Sparkos Pro opamps fitted, and VMV D2R.
iiwi has the caption on the place holder image for their review of the A26 labeled with the text "This DAC is driving me crazy". I have been feeling a bit crazy myself. I have had the Burson for 4 months and it has served me well. The nice folks at the SMSL CanJam NYC table wouldn't let me walk out empty handed at the end of the day and were dreading lugging all their stuff on the airplane back to China, so I ended up with a good deal on the VMV stack. I wanted another amp as a review tool anyway.

The audiophile grass is always greener up to a price point so I decided to go up one more tier to try the A26.

I test equipment by ear with audiophile recordings. But listen for pleasure to more progressive rock and metal. Now that I have 10.5 million tracks a click away. and many of those are remastered to HiRes, I'm finding that some of the pre digital rock albums were recorded quite well. Early Heart, Jethro Tull, Steely Dan, they finally got the miking for the drums dialed in on Rush Moving Pictures with beautiful reverb decay on the vocals of "Camera Eye".

The Burson took on a big improvement with the Sparkos Pro opamps and is very similar to the VMV in the black soundstage, transparency, snap. But this SE version is single ended from front to back so has that as a disadvantage relative to the other 2 DACs which can run balanced cables. Although I did try them all with RCAs and the differences between them still had the same qualities. The Burson is also USB Type C so is relegated to using a different cable. And the excellent Supra Excalibur is not offered with a Type C. So I am still using an excellent sounding Type A to C ebay cable with the Burson, which is better than the Pro Audio type Hosa for example, so allows me to say it sounds good enough to use, but is still another unknown.The VMV has the slight edge in fine detail retrieval and reverb over the Burson so I can focus the comparison with the A26 on that even as both of these other DACs have excellent speed, snap, and an open, black soundstage. The XLR sounds slightly better.

Being a "cable person" for 30 years, I was very surprised at the difference in sound between USB cables. Bits are bits, right? Wrong! If you can't hear the difference between Cables, DACs, fill in the blank, count yourself lucky. Your audio life is much simpler.

So I can turn the comparison to the VMV D2R versus the Gustard A26 with the identical signal chain. When you get into these nearly state of the art performance levels, the choice almost comes down to flavors, rather than clearly better or worse. Hence the A26 vs R26 choice for instance or me going crazy swapping cables back and forth between these three DACs. On certain noisy live rock arena tracks, I was actually connecting the Burson in favor of the VMV for its cutting clarity. On better recordings the Gustard A26 Is more fleshed out and organic than the VMV, making the D2R sound slightly cardboard in comparison, with each instrument image perceived as bigger with less space in between on the Gustard. iiwi would probably say something like "juicier and more palpable". The VMV has smaller images, although the stage width and height are about the same. Which leaves more room between the precise placement of the instruments for more blackness in between on the canvas. With a fairly major difference that the central images, the vocals, are set slightly farther back into the black stage on the D2R. Which is the one nitpick I have with the A26. Some recordings still separate the vocals in depth from other central images like an acoustic guitar, ie Heart "Nada One" or "Mistral Wind", while on other recordings, "Babylon Sisters", Skating Away" or "Camera Eye", the vocals on the A26 are closer, fatter, and juicier than the VMV, but less separate and less surrounded by a black space compared to the D2R. Which starts to make them slightly more congested and harder to pick out on dirty, main stream recordings. The A26 does have the last word on fine detail of reverb decay and is slightly more resolving and coherent out to the far edges of the stage so will be my keeper, but makes me wonder if the very full sound of the Excalibur cable might be a bit too much of a good thing in pairing with this DAC. The Gustard has deeper bass, making the other DACs sound cool. The Viborg USB cable can't match the organic, natural sound of the the Supra though, sounding more cardboard even if it is slightly snappier and brighter. So the Excalibur is my choice for now. As is the A26.

And I am really trying to avoid the added expense and complexity of a DDC to I2S, and am definitely not looking forward to building a whole new network mesh for a streamer and overpriced subscription player. I would however consider a more cost effective, but still high end, USB card to the high dollar JCAT ($400 seems like it should be plenty for a card) since I need to build a more powerful PC in order to start upsampling with PGGB. If there was one.

And as a mad modifier with a soldering iron, I wonder what the Gustards might sound like with the op amps in the I/V stage replaced with the amazing black and deep Sparkos 2590 Pros. And with foil caps bypassing any possible signal coupling caps? in the output stages. Could there be a link to a schematic?:relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #942 of 1,019
And as a mad modifier with a soldering iron, I wonder what the Gustards might sound like with the op amps in the I/V stage replaced with the amazing black and deep Sparkos 2590 Pros.
With this I would be careful. You need to make sure that these opamps do not work in a nested feedback configuration. If work standalone, then yes, but nested feedback has to deal with a hell of open loop gain and real-time non-linear delays, it has to be modeled using computer simulation. Small changes in the layout, it will run unstable. Different opamps, a bigger chance.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #943 of 1,019
I've recently bought A26 and I am already sorry for doing this. I am using Gustard X20 (modified) with Singer SU-1 (modified) via HDMI (I2S) connection. I also use dual PC with JPlay Femto Net cards, JPlay Femto Usb card for streaming and JPlay app. as a control point. I was very disappointed of the performance of the new Gustard DAC. I did A to B for 3 weeks and can truly say that the old X20 performs much much better than the new A26. Seems to me that Gustard have neglected their products despite the fact that their prices gone up twice.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #944 of 1,019
With this I would be careful. You need to make sure that these opamps do not work in a nested feedback configuration. If work standalone, then yes,
It appears from the photos that there are only 4 opamps. 1 for each balanced I/V stage. What would be the critical considerations that might lead to problems? Band width/ slew rate/ Unity gain stable?

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #945 of 1,019
and am definitely not looking forward to building a whole new network mesh for a streamer and overpriced subscription player.
What would make you think this is needed or somehow difficult.
You haven’t even used the best input of the A26. Don’t waste money on a usb card or High frequency polluting PGGB. Plug in a LAN cable, Buy HQplayer and Roon lifetime membership (waaaay less than a Jcat card and PGGB) and actually experience how good the A26 is.
Youre really missing out otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back