Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #916 of 1,016
I don't question how it sounds, I question the quality of the renderer
If I use the 1v43 version the Tidal and Qobuz stream literally sucks, interruptions and interruptions
With firmware 1.42 streaming is fine but it does not accept direct DFF and DSF files but only in DoP

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #918 of 1,016
I don't question how it sounds, I question the quality of the renderer
If I use the 1v43 version the Tidal and Qobuz stream literally sucks, interruptions and interruptions
With firmware 1.42 streaming is fine but it does not accept direct DFF and DSF files but only in DoP
you need to update your system firmware. This has nothing to do with the renderer firmware. 1v43 is the renderer firmware not system firmware.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #921 of 1,016
I've bought A26, but got a problem. When I'm playing files 16bit 44.1khz via Roon - I can hear noise from speakers, on Gustard Volume set to FIXED (in Roon settings - also FIXED), the best way to hear it - put amp volume to 0 and I hear this noise, but in the same time when I'm playing file 96khz or 192khz - there is no any noise. And when Ipaused playback - there is no noise... Maybe someone already met with this problem? Any suggestions?

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #922 of 1,016
I've bought A26, but got a problem. When I'm playing files 16bit 44.1khz via Roon - I can hear noise from speakers, on Gustard Volume set to FIXED (in Roon settings - also FIXED), the best way to hear it - put amp volume to 0 and I hear this noise, but in the same time when I'm playing file 96khz or 192khz - there is no any noise. And when Ipaused playback - there is no noise... Maybe someone already met with this problem? Any suggestions?
Never heard about PCM, but with DSD it is called "DSD idle noise" with the effect you describe. It is also reported on R26 with Direct DSD option On during playing 44.1kHz family, but not 48kHz family.

As 96kHz & 192kHz are a family of 48kHz, it is why I expect you are converting in Roon to DSD.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #923 of 1,016
Never heard about PCM, but with DSD it is called "DSD idle noise" with the effect you describe. It is also reported on R26 with Direct DSD option On during playing 44.1kHz family, but not 48kHz family.

As 96kHz & 192kHz are a family of 48kHz, it is why I expect you are converting in Roon to DSD.
If U are talking about DSP and converting to DSD I'm not usign this option, my settings are default

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #924 of 1,016
If U are talking about DSP and converting to DSD I'm not usign this option, my settings are default
On a second thought, any Delta-Sigma convert PCM to DSD internally after oversampling and noise shaping stage, the same A26. Gustard may bypass the internal chip oversampling stage (implementing it in FPGA) and it is still possible of introducing the same bug that triggers DSD idle noise as in R26. The other cause would be implementation of a clock synthesiser which is also very similar on both DACs.

Wait and see whether other users confirm your finding, it is interesting subject.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #925 of 1,016
I am reading about DSD fix (an exe file) but nobody has mentioned how to install it. Could someone write step by step of installation, please! As for renderer update all is clear. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back