Gunners do it again
Apr 25, 2004 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
Who's undefeated? oh yah, Arsenal

thank god those Man U muppets failed so miserably
same with the Red Romans' blues.

best team, hands down. if they had been given a reasonable schedual, they would have swept the treble.

and it's offical, Thierry Henry is the greatest striker in the world currently playing.

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Haha even though I'm a Man Utd fan, I cannot agree more with you.

This year's Man Utd and Chelsea squads just haven't gelled together whilst Arsenal played like the Complete team. Just look at today's goal for Vieira, 1 2 3 touches and it's in. Just that simple.

2-3 years ago Man Utd played like that too, it wasn't that pretty but their football was still of supreme class too. When I watched them back then I never worried about them losing, same goes with the current Arsenal side too.

With tremendous wealth for both the Blues and the Red devils, however, next season could prove to be a completely different story. Just look at all of the young stars coming through for Man Utd, ie Ronaldo, Fletcher, Bellion, Brown, Saha etc... the future can't be brighter for them.

Arsenal has got Reyes and Toure and maybe Aliadere, but Bergkamp, Parlour and Keown are getting old and Pires is now into his thirties. Arsenal have better get themselves more young stars and a better goalkeeper too IMO.

Henry has been sensational on numerous occasions this season (most recently vs Leeds, and as early in the season as vs Inter) but unless he proves his worth in this summer's European championship and the next World Cup against the biggest teams in the biggest tournaments, you can't be TOO sure yet. His free running style of play was, IMO, always against poorer sides.

Afterall, the "unbeatable" Arsenal side this season were nonetheless beaten by both Chelsea and Man Utd, so I believe Henry, too, must prove himself on the biggest stage (international) before the statement HE IS THE WORLD'S TOP STRIKER can come to a close. But don't get me wrong, I agree with you that he is absolutely sensational.

I fancy either him or Francesco Totti to be crowned Europe's best player this summer.

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 10
I think Henry's subpar (if you want to call them that) performances against ManU and Chelsea during that stretch must be put into perspective. That was a lot of high demand games in a week stretch and he performed magnificantly against Leeds.

Totti is up there, but is he the team player that Henry is? Henry is consistently a threat because he is the team player. Pires' goals are almost always from brilliant Henry passes, or start with an Henry run that breaks everything down. Fact of the matter is, i cannot think of a time when he is actually STOPPED during a run.

His choice of runs is why you don't see him making them against the likes of Ferdinand or Makelele, he knows he doesn't have to. Perhaps, next year he will be more willing to take those chances and get stopped once or twice.

but ask any coach, they want the striker who is more Henry (willing to lay off the pass then chance the run) than Ruud (no pun intended
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I guess, maybe he is not the most brilliant striker, but certainly the most complete.

i think Arsenal has been the most entertaining team to watch that i've ever seen. They are definitely the most fluid team i've seen in while

Reyes and Toure, Adelairde (sp?), Clichy, and Lauren will grow into their strengths, Keown and Parlour are already bench players.

Reyes has shown he can shine and fill (well not really, but who can) Bergkamp's shoes.

when Viera is healthy he is one of the top 10 midfielders and Pires is so essential in his utility that he wins my vote for most underrated.

Man U will be strong, they always are, but they lack leadership, Keane is too old, Giggs is brilliant but NOT a leader, same with Scholes.

Forlan is awful no matter how talented he is, and Fletcher to me is very poor.

can't argue with Ronaldo.

fact of the matter is, Man U needs Beckham, not for his skill, but for his leadership.

Chelsea has too much talent (think dallas mavericks) and not enough Frank Lampard
biggrin.gif
, their best players are the guys who've been there all along.

tho adrian mutu will be brilliant.

Apr 26, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Im a ManU fan myself. I think this is one of their most disappointing seasons as far as I can remember. Have they ever finished lower than 2nd in the last ten years? Anyway, I think injuries & suspensions really hurt them midway in the season. But even at full strength, it would have been difficult for them defeat Arsenal the way the Gunners has played this year. I like ManU's future though, their recent acquisitions like Howard & Ronaldo will really bear fruit in the seasons to come. I just wish they could get at least 1 or 2 proven defenders next year. Their defense really needs an upgrade, although that might just naturally happen with the continued improvement of Ferdinand & Brown. They also need to find another future replacement for Keane as Bellion has been a bust.

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Just what is it with Arsenal?
biggrin.gif

I think it's cos their whole team runs at the same time most of the time, ie Pires or Henry or Ljungberg making those runs down the flanks, whilst for teams like Man Utd, most players just sit and wait to receive crosses in the box, this is epitomised by Ruud's plays.

In fact, even big guy like Vieira runs! Just look at today's goal.

But which style of play is more effective? I still think that as pretty as Arsenal's plays are to watch, if their opponents are defensively strong enough to close down their runs (a team from Serie A I guess), the more "boring" plays of Man Utd (the crosses and longer balls) are more effective.

The fact is, though, with the departure of Becks, no one can really deliver the brilliant crosses for United anymore. Gary Neville keeps crossing with his left foot, which beared no fruit, Giggs can't cross much better either.

Nevertheless, much credit has also to be given to Arsenal's defence. Without them, no counter-attack would be possible.

Again, as I said earlier, unless both Arsenal and Henry (for France this summer) can prove to me that the fluid running and through-passes style of play can beat the World's biggest teams on the biggest stage (I guess Brazil is an example), I will only crown them as the World's Most Exciting Team to Watch.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 10
need i remind you of their absolute deconstruction of inter?

they're for real, i think their fluid style will beat the boring english long ball anyday.

you don't see world cup champion brazil playing kick and run, you see them playing like arsenal (or is it the other way around?)

600smile.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Chelsea has too much talent

Not enough talent to beat an injury-stricken, but passionate Newcastle side on Saturday to allow Arsenal to claim the title early
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Who's undefeated? oh yah, Arsenal

thank god those Man U muppets failed so miserably
same with the Red Romans' blues.

best team, hands down. if they had been given a reasonable schedual, they would have swept the treble.

and it's offical, Thierry Henry is the greatest striker in the world currently playing.

what in the HELL are you talking about?

tongue.gif
that is so confusing but i suppose is football
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 10
you know it's the Flyers year...

sorry man, the Leafs ain't gonna do it

from espn.com:

Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals series is Wednesday night in Toronto. The Flyers have never lost a best-of-seven series in which they won the first two games, going 16-0.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Sod Arsenal and 'The Scum'.

Hull City are almost certainly going to be promoted fromt he 3rd division this season. Come on you Tigers!

Oh yes, and just for giggles, Grimsby Town are going down from the 2nd and York City will be joining the conference along with Leeds United!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back