Guide to ReCable (Dual Entry) BeyerDynamic DT (with pictures!)
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BassThor

100+ Head-Fier
Since the reason for me signing up for this forum being my DT 770's cable being ripped off I thought I should post how I got this fixed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Caution! Being a student with very little money, true audiophiles might be offended by tools and parts used, this is do it yourself, AT HOME STYLE. Caution!
wink.gif

First off, here is a list of what I bought to get my DT's back in buisness:

Monster Stereolink 3.5mm Jack to RCA 2m
monster_stereolink_042307.jpg

Why? Well I have used monster cable with my Xbox before and the quality was good, plus I got it for 18$ incl ship from ebay. I also like the DT's to have a thick, durable cable. The quality of this cable was also surprisingly good, each channel is isolated with something that resembles aluminium paper, about 10 stings of thread, and some very thin paper. Thumbs up!
beerchug.gif

5x 1m heatshrink in different sizes from DealExtreme. (2$)

1x Soldering Iron (30w) from DealExtreme. (4.5$)

Some super glue from the nearest shop. (1$) Also some soldering tin from the same shop. (1$)
img2323.jpg

So that puts my entire budget on 26.5$..!

So here we go!

First off, cut off the Y-split on the new cable, and strip off the outer rubber down to where you want the new Y-split to be and you should have something like this:
img2324l.jpg

Then cut off the rubber coating of the tip of the cables that will transfer our beloved music.
img2336m.jpg

Here is a little trick to how you can minimize the accident of cutting the copper/silver threads inside, cut the rubber just a little bit on one side, then bend it out, and cut inside the bend. Do this carefully and you will have a nice result.
img2336f.jpg

Finally cover the cables with heatshrink. You should have one fat (large diameter 0.7 to 1cm) one on at the Y point so you can form a split before you heat it, and one for each of the cables going into the headset.
DO NOT HEAT THE HEATSHRINK JUST YET! We'd hate to cut it open to find any errors before we are done won't we?
img2341.jpg

(Optional? Depending on cable used) Wrap the two grounds together. Not all cable have separated ground cables. (Like the stock ones for example..)
img2339i.jpg

OK! So now our new cable is ready for action, lets move on to the DT's.

First off take off the cushions , these come off quite easily, but don't use force, they can tear, and cost 40$ for a new pair...
img2327q.jpg

Now, I prefer to take the cans off the headthingy as well, this will make it a lot easier to work on at the later stages of our operation.
Just unscrew the 2 screws and take out the cans, and don't drop the screws or parts anywhere...
img2328.jpg

With a small screwdriver (or something similar, I would not recommend a sharp knife since right under this lies the speaker mounts..!) flip up and out the ring securing the speaker mount.
img2330.jpg

img2331g.jpg

The actual speaker mount is not screwed/glued to anything and should fall out of the can when you hold it upside down. Have one hand ready under to catch it.
wink.gif

Since we are going for a dual entry (one cable into each can/side) we not going to use the cable that transfers the signal to the right speaker from the left can, so just cut and pull it out. You now have your sweet babies in front of you.
img2332oh.jpg

Next, somehow open a hole in the bottom of the right can, most people use a drill (doh!) but my tools are all back in Norway I had to use a scalpel...
img2343l.jpg

Everything going smooth so far? Ok, then its time to shrink that heatshrink, shrink the two thinner cables that will go into the cans first, then pull the thicker one up over the Y-split and over the two thinner ones, using a pair of clams pinch the thick one between the two thin cords so that it will actually make a Y before you heat and shrink it. I used a lighter, just keep the flame moving up and down the heatshrink and it won't catch fire. If you have a heatgun, I envy you...
devil_face.gif

Here is a little tip; since I didn't prepare any stress reliever for the two new cables going into the cans, and the cable is way to stiff to make a knot inside the cans that will absorb any sudden pulling etc, I used the clips that were inside the cans on the stock left-to-right cable. To do this measure where the aproximate exit point is on the cable by comparing the soldering points on driver mount with the new cable when it is mounted in the can. Then make sure you clam em good so they don't fail.
You should also do some means to make sure the stress from the cable does not lie on the soldering points.
img2346.jpg

Before you start soldering take this precaution:
Make sure the cable is not abnormally twisted according to how the final result will be, hint: take the cable from the Y split, follow it up through the can and to the driver soldering points. Find the way where the cable has the least twist, and the ground is on the left and signal on the right inside the can when looking down inside the can.

Now, drivers lying face down, take off the white cotton and the black plastic ring the cotton surrounds. You have 3 pins in front of you. The one on the right is ground, the one on the left is signal so solder the cables accordingly. These three pins are GLUED to the driver mount, so try to be accurate and quick when soldering off the old and the new cables on.
If its your first time (like me) take your time and try to keep the attachment points as cool as possible.

CAUTION!!! While soldering, should one or more pins fall out, do not pull, or try to separate them from the mount!! On the underside of where we are soldering our new cable on is a super thin copper cable that goes into the driver, if this tears off (mine actually did!
frown.gif
stupid, stupid, stupid!) you have to sold this 0.00001mm thin cord back on. It took me an hour, one of the most hellish hours I've had this year.. So if one of these 3 pins fall out, just carefully put it back in its place and apply some superglue, wait until it hardens and continue soldering.
img2348h.jpg

Now: TEST DRIVE!! Plug it in to something and turn the music on. If you have sound on both, try to carefully jiggle the cable a little just to hear if the solding is good enough, if sounds starts to become "unstable" (on, off, on, off, on, off) you should redo the soldering job on that side. Also try to carefully place the speaker mount into the can with the music on. If there are any errors that needs adjustment, now is the time.

If there is no sound you have to check that the signal and ground cables are separate! Especially where we pulled the rubber off. I actually had to take one of the cables off and put more heatshrink on one side to keep signal and ground separate. (You can see this on one of the pictures..)

And there we go! Finish! Job well done! Just carefully place the speaker mounts back into the can, put the black cover on before you start screwing the cans to the headthingy again.
Put on the cushions back on and enjoy your renewed DT!
img2351d.jpg

Hope you guys find this useful, I searched this forum for a detailed guide but the ones that are have only a few pictures..

Things that needs (should have been) done:
Close the holes where the left-to-right cable went.
Get a better stress reliever for the two cables going into the cans.
Nylonhosing? Although the microphonics are zero, nylon would look cool and protect the cable.

SO! Opinions, tips, etc will be much appreciated! If anyone feels like they have gotten a wish-come-true, please consider making one of my wishes come true!
dt880smile.png

AudioLove from Japan!

Edit: Typos and the link to the pictures... Album links from imageshack were no-go..

Edit: Regarding sound quality (the monster cable is of remarkably better quality compared to stock) I feel the DT's are more forgiving when used on my laptop's crap integrated soundcard. I don't know if they need burn in or not (anyone know?) but on my Cowon D2 I can't notice any huge difference (as of 10 hours of use). I'm after all a junior audiophile (the best I have tried is UE superfi 5 pro) with the DT 770 being my "best" headset.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm surprised no one has commented on this! Great guide, and great pics! I wasn't thinking about recabling my dt770, but now I am!

Question, do you feel there is any major sound difference in dual entry, vs using the existing single entry on the left?

thanks

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 17
For a single entry one may have to worry about the extra length of wire going into the right speaker. Unless you want to keep the wires equal length and wind the leftover wire into the cup with the entry (which I think will have a bigger (negative) impact on acoustics on the left side). Whether you will detect the difference as a volume or channel imbalance with the extra length of wire is another thing. Personally I don't think it will matter whether you single or dual entry. I prefer single because the extra movement freedom is good.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 17
Excellent guide, I recabled my DT880 using mogami cable and I also made the cable connections balanced to use with my Little Dot MKV11 balanced headphone amp, I actually left the original overhead cable inplace and used a single cable entry soldering two conductors to the earspeaker terminals and the other two conductors I spliced into the original cable which comes over the head, this cable over the head is different to the original main cable being much thicker, the main cable is ultra thin and very flexible how the sounds travel down such a thin cable I don't know, the change in sound quality was fanstastic, with the original cable setup I didn't like the treble at all, but with the cable changes this changed considerably being much smoother but just as detailed and now I listen to my music with this headphone setup more than my main speaker system as the sounds are quite superb, when using a cable like the mogami bear in mind that it is stiffer than the very flexible original cable, this doesn't worry me but it may be relevant to some people, so choose your cable carefully, I think the cardas cable may be a little more flexible.

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 17
Beyer Dynamics uses the marker pen mark to denote the positive connector on their drivers. Holds true for their other headphones as well.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 17
Nice guide with enough pictures. You are also easy to follow. Thanks for your effort!

Mikeb, how is the DT880 with the MKVII and what source do you use?

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elwappo99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question, do you feel there is any major sound difference in dual entry, vs using the existing single entry on the left?

thanks

Hi, thanks for commenting! I'm not sure how a single entry upgraded cable would sound vs the original single entry, all I can say is that these cans really grow with a new cable, be it single or dual entry I guess.
wink.gif

But if you go for single entry I would suggest you also swap out the cable going from the left to the right can. The stock cable on the DT is really basic, low quality compared to a good copper or silver coated cable..

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 17
My source is Asus motherboard with E7400 intel > RME 9632 pci soundcard with Word Clock module > Behringer SRC2496 with word sync back to pci card and using balanced outputs (other dac options are Stello and Benchmark Dac 1 using balanced outs) > Little Dot MKV11 balanced inputs > Beyer DT880 recabled for balanced, using latest Foobar and WASAPI and Vista.

Above sounds excellent playing back mainly flac files, all three dacs sound good but different, not in any order, behringer being used at present.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is Asus motherboard with E7400 intel > RME 9632 pci soundcard with Word Clock module > Behringer SRC2496 with word sync back to pci card and using balanced outputs (other dac options are Stello and Benchmark Dac 1 using balanced outs) > Little Dot MKV11 balanced inputs > Beyer DT880 recabled for balanced, using latest Foobar and WASAPI and Vista.

Above sounds excellent playing back mainly flac files, all three dacs sound good but different, not in any order, behringer being used at present.

Nice. After hearing some very expensive equipment I still love my DT880 and of course I am wondering how they sound balanced.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back