gs1000 vs hf2?
Sep 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Drake22

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I was initially aiming to get gs1000, but some say that the hf-2 is better and much cheaper choice.

Would you be able to compare them guys, because I couldn't find any reviews comparing these 2 cans.

Also, would either be a good upgrade over the sr325i?

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 48
I own the GS1K and HF-2, but I've never heard the other Grados, including the sr325i.

Based on my equipment and recordings, I'd say that the major difference between the two is synergy. The GS1K (w/ Black Dragon) is tough to match up. For me, the SQ is excellent only with the m902 via S/PDIF (coaxial or optical). With my other equipment, the bass is bloated with poor dynamics. With the m902, the entire spectrum, including the bass, is dynamic, warm, musical, fun. It's an SQ that I can't get with any of my other lineups. Thus, I can't let them go.

I haven't had the HF-2 for very very long, but the one thing I'm finding is that it synergizes well with all my equipment.

I tried the HF-2 bowls on the GS1K, and I found that the smaller pads actually made the GS1K sound very similar to the HF-2, but smoother and more refined with a slightly larger sound stage. And it seemed to work well with all my equipment.

When I received the replacement bagels (pads for the GS1K) and tried them on the HF-2, the result was imbalance, with boomy bass and a strange sound stage.

Based on this very informal and incomplete comparison, my guess is that you could emulate the HF-2 SQ with the GS1K using bowls -- but you can't emulate the GS1K SQ with the HF-2 using bagels.

My suggestion would be to get the HF-2 if possible. As an all-around, it's excellent.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 48
To my ears, everything is a clear upgrade to the 325i, but the HF2 is a great headphone, and I haven't heard anyone who prefers the 325 to the hf2.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 48
thanks for the input!

Do both pairs sound good at low volumes? (that's the problem i found with sr325 - they sound very good and rich at high volumes, but if i listen for too long, i start to hear ringing or whistling in my ears
frown.gif
But at low volumes they don't sound good at all)

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 48
if you're a low volume listener, or can't hear treble at all, then you may prefer the GS1000. Otherwise I think the HF2 slaughters and eats it for breakfast. If the GS1000 was cheaper, I'd still get the HF2

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 48
Interesting comparison...I'll be interested in the opinions on this but I've had the GS1000 and the RS1 and I'm waiting for the HF2s, so I'll use the RS1 vs GS1000s for comparison sake. The GS1000s are the low volume level, heavy bass, low mids winner here and the sound is presented in a totally different manner than the RS-1's in your face, on the stage sound that is, imho, much more balanced and less picky to the amp. The GS1000 is a unique woman but does separation, imaging and soundstage much better...it really is a KO by the GS1000 in these categories and you would be hard pressed to get a similar presentation(off topic the hd800s serves the KO to the GS1000 and it's scissors beats paper there).

Having said all that....I'll hopefully have the hf2s in hand by the end of next week according to the Brown Truck Of Happiness tracking information and will come back and add information after a thorough burn in of the phones, of course.

I'll be following this thread with great interest though.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 48
Make no mistake, these are two completely different 'phones. I'd say you're much better off with the HF-2's. They're much more "normal" than the GS-1000's are. Personally, I don't even like the GS-1000's... they're just a different breed of 'phone.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 48
It could be my setup and I can't speak to the hf2's bass qualities but the gs1000 I found very bass heavy...in your opinion fallen angel...does the hf2 have more bass than that of the gs1000s? Is it different or does it steal from the mid and high frequencies?

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 48
Interesting to hear other members opinion on this. In my opinion, GS1000i had more (quantity) bass than HF2 but HF2 had more bass impact. I prefer HF2 over GS1000i but I don't listen to Classical music and just a little bit of Jazz. I think GS1000i were excellent for these two genres but I still like my HF2 better for other genres (especially rock).

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 48
have both at hand now. the hf2 has an accentuated mid-bass that seems to hit as hard
as the gs1k... but certain recordings show that the latter goes deeper into the sub-bass
region. the mids are comparable in smoothness and timbre but the hf2 is slightly more
forward. the highs are not as extended as the gs1k but focused. does show sibilance
with sibilant recordings at this stage. detail retrieval or resolution is not as gaudy as the
gs1k... yet. i have approx. 2 hrs. of burn-in... LOL. i'm still quite impressed with the hf2.

hf2 has narrower soundstage than gs1k and separation of notes is nowhere as good as the
latter at this stage. there's a sense of muddiness at 2+ hrs on the hf2, compared to the
1500+hrs on the gs1k.

vl2_181657.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back