Grovers, Bogdans, Nitrogens, Cardas....
Mar 28, 2004 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Grovers MKIIIs, Bogdans Silver Spirit, Erics' Nitrogens or Cardas NR? All of these cables have recently received rave reviews here and a substantial number of members own one of these cables. Now..which one gets the final vote or nod of approval? Best bang for the buck? Best overall IC?

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 40
I know, I know, you just want the answer.
smily_headphones1.gif
But best is so subjective. Of all the sonic impressions you have read about these cables which one appeals to you most? I know the NR is highly revealing and transparent with ultra detail. The Nitrogen's are supposed to have a little warmer signature with big bass, great detail and smooth highs. Lot's of comments to be found on the Grover's here and many impressions of the Bogdan Silver Spirit at Audio Asylum. Based on what you hear now in your system, how the tonal quality of your system sits with you and such, what would you like to see in an IC? Lot's, more, better? Of course. But what if the tonal balance shifted one way or the other, or what if your source was revealed even further? What are your goals?

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 40
Sean H,
here's the problem: I was using an ipod as the source but just decided to get a highend CD player, which turned out to be the Arcam FMJ CD 33T. My PPA hasn't arrived yet...another 5 weeks....
frown.gif
Before it arrives I want to decide on a good IC and am trying to figure out what I need.
I have the Senn HD 650s and Cardas v2 cable. I figured being as I went for the Cardas instead of the Zu, I might go for a more revealing IC. See what I mean?

If I had my system setup and in front of me I could listen and define where to go.....but I figure that being as I have to get ICs anyways and will surely upgrade after a while
very_evil_smiley.gif
I might as well take a stab at a decent one now, without going OTT on the price.

I know this sounds a bit daft but the only ears I have right now are the ones that post here
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 40
The Nitrogens are a unique cable. I think it's a secret what they do, but the end result is that you'll end up turning your amp up higher. They really sound unlike any other cable I've heard- brutally revealing, great mids, huge bass.

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
The Nitrogens are a unique cable. I think it's a secret what they do, but the end result is that you'll end up turning your amp up higher. They really sound unlike any other cable I've heard- brutally revealing, great mids, huge bass.

Brutally revealing yes, however I'm gonna disagree with the 'huge bass'. It has deep impactful bass, but this should be a feature of all decent cables IMO.

I don't think it's really a secret why you have to turn your amp up higher - there's simply resistors in the cable. This causes you to turn up your volume control (most likely a pot), and pots function better sonically when closer to full open.

-dd3mon

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 40
Yep, I'm quite tempted by these and will certainly get a set at some stage to try. Just can't quite decide which to get first...
confused.gif
I like the idea of the LAT Int. IC-200 MK IIs, as well....and the Silver Spirits...and agghhh!!
mad.gif
redface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 40
I've used the original Grover cables, Lat IC100 MKII & 200 MKII, Cardas Cross, Kimber silver streak, Kimber KCAG, and Bogdan Silver spirit reference in my present headphone system. Next to the KCAG I like the Bogdan's the best.
There will be some new Bogdan Silver spirit ref. coming out in the next week or so that are even better according to Ben at Bogdan. They are a sand filled version. You might want towait on them before deciding on the Bogdans. I'm going to try a pr. of the XLR version. Not sure what the new prices will be.
The Bogdans are very hard not to like. Not really any flaws in there sound with my system. All the cables you mentioned are good, it will come down to personal taste.

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 40
Hmm...be interesting to hear the thoughts on the new Bogdans. What did you like more with the Kimbers?

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 40
Speed, clarity, impact, and more speed.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 40
Hmmm...those Kimbers sound nice..not too expensive, either. I'll bear those in mind.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 40
$460.00 for one meter pr.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 40
Sorry if you see this as thread jacking...

How would a DIY cable made up of Homegrown Audio silver DIVA braid cable stack up to these cables?

(JMT's cables use homegrown DIVA if you are not sure whether or not you have heard the DIVA)

thanks for any help.
Dan

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 40
Not at all...I do it all the time without even realising
biggrin.gif
it's all interesting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back