Grado SR225 Thread
Dec 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #466 of 831
hey guys.. what a nice customs 225s.. i have my 225i for 8 months using it with bowls with black tape and im in love, of course SR225 are my first HP and intro to the Audiophile world. i choose them because most of my music taste involves acoustics guitars, gypsy jazz, blues, and some grunge/rock. and the sound its incredible. 

Now i was looking for an amp that improve the sound even more and choose the Little Dot i+ that i've been reading alot about it and it seems that are really good for grados. Also i got nice sets of tubes. like the VOSHKOD 6ZH1P-EV, Sylvanias GB408a and the user Gibosi seems that knows alot about tube rolling the little dot i+ recommended me RCA 6DT6 and  GE 6HM5. Also got the OPA muses02 that it seems to be the best for the amp, and to complement the LD was used and it did came with a OPA2107.
I will let you know when i test all the tubes and OPA's with my music taste. so i can help people with the same problems and doubts.

Now my question is about the DAC i currently have a asus xonar d1, and i dont want to spend 100$ in a basic DAC if im going to buy one it should be a really good one when i get a 600$budget next year for it and thinking in buying my next HP maybe a rs1. But the question is that if my current soundcard is enough for my 225i? or im missing alot if i had a DAC even if is the schiit MODI or similars.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #467 of 831
  hey guys.. what a nice customs 225s.. i have my 225i for 8 months using it with bowls with black tape and im in love, of course SR225 are my first HP and intro to the Audiophile world. i choose them because most of my music taste involves acoustics guitars, gypsy jazz, blues, and some grunge/rock. and the sound its incredible. 

Now i was looking for an amp that improve the sound even more and choose the Little Dot i+ that i've been reading alot about it and it seems that are really good for grados. Also i got nice sets of tubes. like the VOSHKOD 6ZH1P-EV, Sylvanias GB408a and the user Gibosi seems that knows alot about tube rolling the little dot i+ recommended me RCA 6DT6 and  GE 6HM5. Also got the OPA muses02 that it seems to be the best for the amp, and to complement the LD was used and it did came with a OPA2107.
I will let you know when i test all the tubes and OPA's with my music taste. so i can help people with the same problems and doubts.

Now my question is about the DAC i currently have a asus xonar d1, and i dont want to spend 100$ in a basic DAC if im going to buy one it should be a really good one when i get a 600$budget next year for it and thinking in buying my next HP maybe a rs1. But the question is that if my current soundcard is enough for my 225i? or im missing alot if i had a DAC even if is the schiit MODI or similars.

First of all...congrats on your purchases...you have a great combo there.

I would just use my soundcard for the dac and see how that goes, if you don't like it grab a Schiit modi for $99

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #468 of 831
SR225i Impressions:

Short listen today. I really liked them.

First off, they definitely don't feel like $200 headphones both on and off the head. That is a somewhat good thing, since they are rediculously light, so they were very comfortable.

Sound wise, I honestly don't understand how people can call these overly bright. The highs seem flat to me. Granted they have more treble than a ton of other full sized cans but that's only saying something about the others.

Whenever I buy headphones, I try to eq them to as close to flat as possible, then I add some personal flavor. The frequency response of the sr225i basically has THAT frequency response. They are what I have strived for. The bass is very tight...very tight, and it is substantial enough for me at least. The mids are very clear, a perfect distance away from the listener. I have always wanted a headphone that is relatively close and livlely, while at the same time keeping the vocals from yelling right into my ear canal. These fit that need.

Now lets compare them to the MDR MA900 (direct competition):

MA900 is better built, and that's saying something. Ma900 is also more comfortable. Those two things were expected.

Sound wise, I definitely didn't have enough time. I can say the MA900 has slightly more bass and they extend a little lower. The sr225i is brighter, airier, but the sound stage is definitely not as large or deep. SR225i is a little bit faster, really meaning the instrument separation is still really good when the music gets faster, and when the volume is increased. The ma900 has more warmth and lower mids overall.

As for genres: the SR225i did well with everything I played except with hip hop and r&b. Simply to thin and bright sounding. Definitely not enough bass extension, but I wasn't disappointed since I knew this coming in. Utterly fantastic at rock and really good with PSY (don't even know what genre he is).

The ma900 is just really good all around but not as great at rock without the assistance of eq (even then it's not as good).

One thing that stood out to me was the vocals. Perfectly represented with warmth and air side by side. In addition, the drivers are matched very well, so the vocals sound like they are coming perpendicular to you.

Not sure if I'll get them though. I liked them but they are really in the same class as the MA900. Ill sleep on it.

Loved them though!

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #469 of 831
 PSY (don't even know what genre he is).

PSY is K-POP or Korean pop

And i am debating this for my GF she likes my Bushmills x Grado and likes a brighter headphone I guess i will see.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #471 of 831
SR225i Impressions:

Short listen today. I really liked them.

First off, they definitely don't feel like $200 headphones both on and off the head. That is a somewhat good thing, since they are rediculously light, so they were very comfortable.

Sound wise, I honestly don't understand how people can call these overly bright. The highs seem flat to me. Granted they have more treble than a ton of other full sized cans but that's only saying something about the others.

Whenever I buy headphones, I try to eq them to as close to flat as possible, then I add some personal flavor. The frequency response of the sr225i basically has THAT frequency response. They are what I have strived for. The bass is very tight...very tight, and it is substantial enough for me at least. The mids are very clear, a perfect distance away from the listener. I have always wanted a headphone that is relatively close and livlely, while at the same time keeping the vocals from yelling right into my ear canal. These fit that need...

That was one of the better reviews I have read on Head-fi. And I agree with virtually everything you wrote- especially about the FR.  I also tend to EQ very close to the Grado 'house' sound.

Anyway- thanks for the write-up!

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #472 of 831
Yeah spot on.  I hated the 80i's, and loved the MS1's, then found the 225i's to be that perfect balance.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #473 of 831
I wonder if my SR225's need break-in time. I've had them now for about a month and have played them everyday. I like the mid-range and high-end but still finding them inadequate in the bass. I've ordered a new DAC/amp (the Modi/Vali respectively from Schiit). I'm hoping that will have what required to drive them and that I may get more lower-end thump out of them. For the record I listen to mostly jazz, some European classical, a bit of electronia/drone/ambient and on rare occasions hip hop but 95% of my music collection is jazz/bebop.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #474 of 831
  I wonder if my SR225's need break-in time. I've had them now for about a month and have played them everyday. I like the mid-range and high-end but still finding them inadequate in the bass. I've ordered a new DAC/amp (the Modi/Vali respectively from Schiit). I'm hoping that will have what required to drive them and that I may get more lower-end thump out of them. For the record I listen to mostly jazz, some European classical, a bit of electronia/drone/ambient and on rare occasions hip hop but 95% of my music collection is jazz/bebop.

try the tape mod , it'll improve the bass just enough, it did for me anyway
take some electrical tape, and wrap the outside of the pad, where its flat, a single layer on each side

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #475 of 831
  try the tape mod , it'll improve the bass just enough, it did for me anyway
take some electrical tape, and wrap the outside of the pad, where its flat, a single layer on each side

What you are doing is blocking the air from escaping from the sides of the pads which increases the bass.
I suggest starting with thinner scotch tape first or 1/2 width of electrical tape as some find the electrical tape to be too much of a change.
The other reversible option is to purchase TTVJ Flats.
Even quarter-modded comfies will have more bass but less soundstage.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #476 of 831
  What you are doing is blocking the air from escaping from the sides of the pads which increases the bass.
I suggest starting with thinner scotch tape first or 1/2 width of electrical tape as some find the electrical tape to be too much of a change.
The other reversible option is to purchase TTVJ Flats.
Even quarter-modded comfies will have more bass but less soundstage.

which i'm listening to on my rs1i's, adds just a touch of warmth, a little more bottom , and still has detail like crazy

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #477 of 831
I did not like the flats with my RS1.....was too much bass for me .

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #478 of 831
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #479 of 831
seriously though, as for the flats, sometimes they can be a little too bassy, i'm finding it can depend on the music ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back