Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,246 of 2,110
Thanks, they are quite lovely, easy to look at, super comfy and sound great.  Only problem is that I'm looking at / admiring them while listening the HD800 ('nuff said)

Quote:
MickeyVee, great looking set of headphones, especially with the Martin Custom Audio additions. I swear if I already didn't have a pair I'd be all over them. As you've presented them they would make an awesome gift.

MickeyVee....seems we are both in identical spots......exact same situation for me.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,247 of 2,110
MV, does your significant head-time with HD800's have anything to do with their ginormous soundstage and detail presentation? I like the way both the RS1's and 800's sound a lot. Apples and oranges in my opinion, but I can tell that the Senn's are twice the price when I listen to them and look at their better construction. Are they worth twice as much? Not sure. Personal preference man.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,248 of 2,110
Hey bpcans.. it's the soundstage, detail, smoothness and extended bass.  Love the forwardness of the RS1i, especially the vocals.  IMHO, they are worth more than 2x the price PLUS consider the supporting equipment.  It doesn't take much to make the RS1i sound good.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,249 of 2,110
Sorry, to jump in here but I think that the HD800 are worth the price considering they are an engineering masterpiece.
Whereas the RS1i are more "stone age" but funnily enough I prefer them over the HD800.
As often stated before and elsewhere, they are just more fun and let me enjoy the music the way I like it most.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,250 of 2,110
Silversurfer and MickeyVee, when I was listening to kvtacos HD800's I found myself listening to what they, the 800's, were doing and not the music for its own sake. Does that make any sense? Can't argue with the Senn's technical superiority though.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,251 of 2,110
Silversurfer and MickeyVee, when I was listening to kvtacos HD800's I found myself listening to what they, the 800's, were doing and not the music for its own sake. Does that make any sense? Can't argue with the Senn's technical superiority though.

So when your listening to the RS1i's your enjoying the music more, in other words more than when you listened to the HD-800's?

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,252 of 2,110
So when your listening to the RS1i's your enjoying the music more, in other words more than when you listened to the HD-800's?
Yeah, so far the RS1's are probably the most fun of all the hp's I've tried. But I still want some Senn's and a pair of Audeze X's too. Oh and don't forget some Stax-009's as well. And a pony!

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #1,255 of 2,110

I think this is what happens at first....there is alot going on and with the great imaging...well, it sort of makes one do what you describe.

That eventually goes away and you really do just get lost in your music.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,256 of 2,110
Yeah, so far the RS1's are probably the most fun of all the hp's I've tried. But I still want some Senn's and a pair of Audeze X's too. Oh and don't forget some Stax-009's as well. And a pony!

I wonder what genres sound good through a pony. But anyway, I find myself analyzing the sound a lot through my PS500 more than simply enjoying the music, however I am getting away from that habit. I enjoyed listening to the RS2i's, I wonder what it feels like listening to RS1i's :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #1,257 of 2,110

I wonder what genres sound good through a pony. But anyway, I find myself analyzing the sound a lot through my PS500 more than simply enjoying the music, however I am getting away from that habit. I enjoyed listening to the RS2i's, I wonder what it feels like listening to RS1i's
smily_headphones1.gif

It feels pretty good  
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,259 of 2,110

Another great choice is the Aune T1 with the RS1i. A superb sounding combo that won't break the bank.

The Aune T1 interests me as it's a cheap and simple device with a tube rolling option. I imagine the right tube could give a little warmth and synergy with the RS1i. What was your, or anyone else's experience?

I have never used it, but I know someone who has and said it is pretty good with the HD650.

The tube is on the dac part of the unit......sounds like it could be fun

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,260 of 2,110
It's the other way around for me.  Most things just sound right on the HD800 and I'm lost in the music. It's like being surrounded by music versus music in my head.   At times, the RS1i can get screechy (organ in Partrica Barber's Black Magic Woman) and it throws me off. Other than that, the RS1i is a great HP.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back