Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #511 of 2,110
Quote:
You should try the PS500 too. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

I agree....I have a feeling DG would enjoy the 500s. I'd really be interested to hear her comparison of those beauties to the PS1000s. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #512 of 2,110
She could return the PS1000, buy PS500 and still have change for the Burson Soloist she's been after for ages. I've not heard PS1000 but I've read plenty about them and they seem grossly overpriced. If her assertion that SR325is offers 95% of their performance is anything to go by she should send them back ASAP.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #513 of 2,110
10 minutes into listening tonight, seems like the PS1000 are sounding a little better, gonna have to give them more time. i really want to give them a chance, since i think they can sound great, they have potential, maybe they just have a long burn-in, i have been noticing less grain and brightness now. 

its not that the PS1000 are a bad phone, cause they're not, they just don't feel like they're worth the $1700 since the rest of the grado line is quite impressive already and at $1700, the T1, HD 800, LCD-2, LCD-3, HE-500, HE-5LE, TH-900, and just about every other flagship out there really are better all rounders and offer more impressive bass and coherency. also these have beautiful chrome cups, but the same crappy headband with the loose rods just like all the other grados, its more of a problem here cause of their weight.

and when compared to RS1i, RS1, GS1000, PS1000, RS2, and RS2i, the 325is really hold their own quite well. the 325is are extremely close when it comes to detail retrieval, in fact the 325is are some of the most detailed headphones in their price range i think, mostly cause of their treble, but umm i think the 325is come really close, the ps1000 just have more bass and soundstage, and a small improvement everywhere else, but the 325is actually come really close in performance with the upper grados. it was almost more of a preference rather than a "oh these are better, the 325is are clearly the cheaper pair". 

if the ps1000s can lose just a bit more of the grain and brightness, i think they would actually be a very good headphone, and one even worth keeping for their unique engaging experience, since the separation and detail over the RS1i would be nice. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #514 of 2,110
Quote:
She could return the PS1000, buy PS500 and still have change for the Burson Soloist she's been after for ages. I've not heard PS1000 but I've read plenty about them and they seem grossly overpriced. If her assertion that SR325is offers 95% of their performance is anything to go by she should send them back ASAP.

i might hold off on the soloist (i almost jumped on the F/S one that was like $690 or so though), if i returned the PS1000 and didn't save the money. it would be either a 65 inch samsung led, or save up and buy the zana deux and WA22 later.

Quote:

I agree....I have a feeling DG would enjoy the 500s. I'd really be interested to hear her comparison of those beauties to the PS1000s. 

wink.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #515 of 2,110
Quote:

So, I've had these for just over a month now, giving them a lot of listening time.

I love them. Their sound is just about perfect for my ears! As I've mentioned in other threads, every time we move up on the Grado ladder, we think simultaneously that nothing will ever sound better, but also that it is definitely a step up from the one before. And that's exactly how I feel about the RS1i vs the SR-225i that I have.

The best way to describe the overall presentation and sound between the RS1i and the 225i is that the RS1 is like sitting next to the fireplace enjoying a quiet evening on a cold winter's night, while the 225 is going to the concert in the middle of the summer. They are warmer and cozier than the 225, and a good bit more detailed. Dave Brubeck and his band are really something else on the RS1. Guitars are typical (ie fantastic) Grado sound, and they don't disappoint. I actually prefer electric guitars coming from the 225, but acoustic strings are exponentially better on the RS. The bass seems more abundant from the 225, but is better extended and tight on the RS1. The mids to my ears are a little more recessed on the RS1, or probably more accurately, just less forward than the 225 - and thus I think sound better balanced. The highs are less piercing on imperfect recordings (and boy do I have some imperfect recordings!) which is very welcome. The soundstage is certainly wider, and instead of a wall of sound, you can pick out and isolate instruments a lot better on the RS1s.

Now, my first week on them, I was worried about my sources because my iPhone playing through a cMoy sounded, well, really awful on the RS1, which was discouraging. But after a month, they actually sound really good. Not nearly as good as my desktop rig, for sure, but I don't dislike it anymore!

But, are they worth two and a half times as much as the 225s? Maybe, maybe not. I'd pay it again in a heart beat knowing what they sound like, but I think they are just slightly overpriced. Are they as good as, say, HD800s? I think they're just as good for a lot of what I listen to.

Down the road, I might see myself selling my 225i's (and maybe my Q701s) to get a pair of PS500s. It's good to have a choice in Grados!

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, because my audio path is Modi->Fiio E09K or iPhone5->cMoyBB

That's helpful to me as I have the 225's and debate getting an RS1, PS500 or HE 500 as my second pair of cans. I listen to a range of music including jazz, but a large percentage of my music is aggressive and/or blues based electric music. Based on your post, I'm thinking that for my "less refined" punk/metal/blues rock, the 225i are hard to beat. But, a more detailed set of cans might be nice for my more nuanced jazz and classical.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #516 of 2,110
Quote:
That's helpful to me as I have the 225's and debate getting an RS1, PS500 or HE 500 as my second pair of cans. I listen to a range of music including jazz, but a large percentage of my music is aggressive and/or blues based electric music. Based on your post, I'm thinking that for my "less refined" punk/metal/blues rock, the 225i are hard to beat. But, a more detailed set of cans might be nice for my more nuanced jazz and classical.

Rs1 would be great for your less refined punk/metal/blues/rock as well as jazz and classical.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #517 of 2,110
Quote:
Rs1 would be great for your less refined punk/metal/blues/rock as well as jazz and classical.

Yea, they shine at those particular genres........listening to some blues right now and the guitar is , well it is just spectacular to say the least......Clapton....Muddy Waters....B B King

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #518 of 2,110
Quote:
Yea, they shine at those particular genres........listening to some blues right now and the guitar is , well it is just spectacular to say the least......Clapton....Muddy Waters....B B King

Cool-off topic, but just saw BB King with Peter Frampton at Wolf Trap in Northern Virginia and Frampton....surprisingly to me-blew me away! He puts on a great show...63 years old playing like someone half his age. Big recommend on my part
regular_smile .gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #519 of 2,110
Quote:
Cool-off topic, but just saw BB King with Peter Frampton at Wolf Trap in Northern Virginia and Frampton....surprisingly to me-blew me away! He puts on a great show...63 years old playing like someone half his age. Big recommend on my part
regular_smile%20.gif

one of my live show highlights was seeing B.B. years ago, still standing up the whole show, he came to macon, AWESOME !!!

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #520 of 2,110
one of my live show highlights was seeing B.B. years ago, still standing up the whole show, he came to macon, AWESOME !!!

oh man B.B. King! My all-time greatest live show was B.B. & Freddy King in the 70's in Phoenix - after their sets they took the stage together and jammed! and Leon Russell on piano! he toured with Freddy and produced some albums at the time-a show for the ages.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #522 of 2,110
Took this shot today, using it as my desktop background!

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #523 of 2,110
Nice....could you post a link to that picture in 1920 x 1080....it is awesome....great job.....I want it!

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #524 of 2,110
Here ya go:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/9587784894_f38cd19fd4_o.jpg

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #525 of 2,110
Quote:
Here ya go:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/9587784894_f38cd19fd4_o.jpg

killer pick !
i see from your sig, a modi and e09k , thats a pretty good combo, i had it myself at one time, in fact just sold the e09k today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back