Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #496 of 2,110
Congrats on your purchase of the RS2.

If anybody in this thread gets the PS500 and does not like them....please pm me...I would be interested.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #497 of 2,110
They are in fact fairly close to the HF-2s. I can't do traditional Grado's anymore. The treble energy just leaves my ears ringing after an hour or so. I really enjoyed my RS1/RS1i's when I owned them, but I prefer the more laid back PS500s.

You have a lot of great gear. If the PS500s get any any head time at all amongst that lot, surely that's a testament to how good they are :)

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #498 of 2,110
Quote:

They are in fact fairly close to the HF-2s. I can't do traditional Grado's anymore. The treble energy just leaves my ears ringing after an hour or so. I really enjoyed my RS1/RS1i's when I owned them, but I prefer the more laid back PS500s.

i liked my RS1i alot, i've been considering re-buying them (or maybe a ps1000, but i do miss having a grado around). i like the aggressive grado sound at times, though with tubes to make them a little smoother.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #499 of 2,110
Yep, even something like the Little Dot I+ that basically just has a tube buffer stage in lieu of being an actual tube amp, can really tame the edge that some find objectionable on the Grados. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #500 of 2,110
Quote:
You have a lot of great gear. If the PS500s get any any head time at all amongst that lot, surely that's a testament to how good they are
smily_headphones1.gif

They get some head yime...not a whole lot, but they're my favourite Grados.
Quote:

i liked my RS1i alot, i've been considering re-buying them (or maybe a ps1000, but i do miss having a grado around). i like the aggressive grado sound at times, though with tubes to make them a little smoother.

I've had the RS1i/RS1 paired with the MAD Ear+HD, WA2, and WA22....still too bright for me. The MAD Ear+HD is the mac-daddy amp for them IMO.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #501 of 2,110
Jul 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #502 of 2,110
Awesomes. I have a tracking number 

gs1000.gif
 Soon....

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #503 of 2,110
I'm. Really thinking about buying these really soon. What will I expect ? Are they very accurate ? Are they bright or warm ? I have a alo continetal v3 amp,, does anyone know if this amp will be a good fit with these or should I look somewhere else in the line up.?? Thank for all the advice in advance :) I'm really looking forward to my first pair of grados:)

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #504 of 2,110
Quote:
I'm. Really thinking about buying these really soon. What will I expect ? Are they very accurate ? Are they bright or warm ? I have a alo continetal v3 amp,, does anyone know if this amp will be a good fit with these or should I look somewhere else in the line up.?? Thank for all the advice in advance
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm really looking forward to my first pair of grados:)

Pacman 46.  I bought mine about 10 months ago and still love them.  These are tremendously clear to me but they are also bright.  However I happen to like bright, so it is fine for me.  They are an extremely up close and personal presentation.   I was listening to Clutch's new album Earth Shaker today.  Simply massive!  I also feel that they have good bass presentation.  I drive them with an ipod touch and a Ray Samuels Intruder amp.  That is a great pairing.  I have not heard the Continental, but from what I read, it should be a great combination with the Grados.  A warm amp should go very well with the grado top end.  I would be extremely interested to hear your impressions when you get them.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #505 of 2,110
Quote:

Congrats! Please post your impressions after you play around with 'em a bit :)

So, I've had these for just over a month now, giving them a lot of listening time.

I love them. Their sound is just about perfect for my ears! As I've mentioned in other threads, every time we move up on the Grado ladder, we think simultaneously that nothing will ever sound better, but also that it is definitely a step up from the one before. And that's exactly how I feel about the RS1i vs the SR-225i that I have.

The best way to describe the overall presentation and sound between the RS1i and the 225i is that the RS1 is like sitting next to the fireplace enjoying a quiet evening on a cold winter's night, while the 225 is going to the concert in the middle of the summer. They are warmer and cozier than the 225, and a good bit more detailed. Dave Brubeck and his band are really something else on the RS1. Guitars are typical (ie fantastic) Grado sound, and they don't disappoint. I actually prefer electric guitars coming from the 225, but acoustic strings are exponentially better on the RS. The bass seems more abundant from the 225, but is better extended and tight on the RS1. The mids to my ears are a little more recessed on the RS1, or probably more accurately, just less forward than the 225 - and thus I think sound better balanced. The highs are less piercing on imperfect recordings (and boy do I have some imperfect recordings!) which is very welcome. The soundstage is certainly wider, and instead of a wall of sound, you can pick out and isolate instruments a lot better on the RS1s.

Now, my first week on them, I was worried about my sources because my iPhone playing through a cMoy sounded, well, really awful on the RS1, which was discouraging. But after a month, they actually sound really good. Not nearly as good as my desktop rig, for sure, but I don't dislike it anymore!

But, are they worth two and a half times as much as the 225s? Maybe, maybe not. I'd pay it again in a heart beat knowing what they sound like, but I think they are just slightly overpriced. Are they as good as, say, HD800s? I think they're just as good for a lot of what I listen to.

Down the road, I might see myself selling my 225i's (and maybe my Q701s) to get a pair of PS500s. It's good to have a choice in Grados!

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, because my audio path is Modi->Fiio E09K or iPhone5->cMoyBB

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #506 of 2,110
Quote:

So, I've had these for just over a month now, giving them a lot of listening time.

I love them. Their sound is just about perfect for my ears! As I've mentioned in other threads, every time we move up on the Grado ladder, we think simultaneously that nothing will ever sound better, but also that it is definitely a step up from the one before. And that's exactly how I feel about the RS1i vs the SR-225i that I have.

The best way to describe the overall presentation and sound between the RS1i and the 225i is that the RS1 is like sitting next to the fireplace enjoying a quiet evening on a cold winter's night, while the 225 is going to the concert in the middle of the summer. They are warmer and cozier than the 225, and a good bit more detailed. Dave Brubeck and his band are really something else on the RS1. Guitars are typical (ie fantastic) Grado sound, and they don't disappoint. I actually prefer electric guitars coming from the 225, but acoustic strings are exponentially better on the RS. The bass seems more abundant from the 225, but is better extended and tight on the RS1. The mids to my ears are a little more recessed on the RS1, or probably more accurately, just less forward than the 225 - and thus I think sound better balanced. The highs are less piercing on imperfect recordings (and boy do I have some imperfect recordings!) which is very welcome. The soundstage is certainly wider, and instead of a wall of sound, you can pick out and isolate instruments a lot better on the RS1s.

Now, my first week on them, I was worried about my sources because my iPhone playing through a cMoy sounded, well, really awful on the RS1, which was discouraging. But after a month, they actually sound really good. Not nearly as good as my desktop rig, for sure, but I don't dislike it anymore!

But, are they worth two and a half times as much as the 225s? Maybe, maybe not. I'd pay it again in a heart beat knowing what they sound like, but I think they are just slightly overpriced. Are they as good as, say, HD800s? I think they're just as good for a lot of what I listen to.

Down the road, I might see myself selling my 225i's (and maybe my Q701s) to get a pair of PS500s. It's good to have a choice in Grados!

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary, because my audio path is Modi->Fiio E09K or iPhone5->cMoyBB

Very nice! It's so funny cause as much as I'm infatuated with the looks and comfort of my Beyer T1s, something about the Grado woodies just makes me stare at them in awe. Of course there are phones that have more impressive styling and/or construction, but the Grados are so damn classy and retro that I find them to have such an endearing uniqueness about them. 

I loved the way you described the sound...and I tell you what, I know there are many of us who are starting to feel that the true flagships of the Grado line are the PS500s and the RS-1s. I need to audition the RS-1s again since the only time I had with them was with a bum pair, but enough people whose opinions I trust and respect also feel that the RS-1s are Grados best phone. 

Anyway, great pics...and I wish you much enjoyment out of those beauties!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #507 of 2,110
Pacman 46.  I bought mine about 10 months ago and still love them.  These are tremendously clear to me but they are also bright.  However I happen to like bright, so it is fine for me.  They are an extremely up close and personal presentation.   I was listening to Clutch's new album Earth Shaker today.  Simply massive!  I also feel that they have good bass presentation.  I drive them with an ipod touch and a Ray Samuels Intruder amp.  That is a great pairing.  I have not heard the Continental, but from what I read, it should be a great combination with the Grados.  A warm amp should go very well with the grado top end.  I would be extremely interested to hear your impressions when you get them.
Thanks buddy. Yes I will deffinatly let you know what I think when I get them in a month or two I hope. Lol anyways my amp isn't the most warmest amp that's for sure. But what it is is very very very very clean,, did I mention it's very clean. Lol not a lot if any color to it at all. I bought it thinking , huh a tube amp it should be warm sounding. I was actually going to sell it a while ago cause it wasn't as warm as I thought it should be. But either I got use to it or whatever but rite now I'm loving how good it sounds with my iems,,, w4r ,, 535's,, er4p's,, eq5's. it just sounds so clear and detailed I can't ever part with it. I'm hoping it will do the same with these grados. I'm defently going to audition them and other grados with it before I buy them. I'm a detail junkie so I'm hoping these have loads of detail. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers mate! :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #508 of 2,110
If my ps1000 doesnt improve in the next few days of burn in. They will go back and i will rejoin the rs1i club :
I think besides the hp1000/ps-1/unobtaninium grados, the rs1i is the true grado flagship

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #510 of 2,110
If my ps1000 doesnt improve in the next few days of burn in. They will go back and i will rejoin the rs1i club :
I think besides the hp1000/ps-1/unobtaninium grados, the rs1i is the true grado flagship

You should try the PS500 too. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

- or you can have the 500 and the rs1 as I do for about the price of a ps1000. I would not want to part with either one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back