Grado RS-1 Forwardness Improve After Break-in?
Apr 2, 2002 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

alexerwu

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've just purchased a pair of Grado RS-1 headphones along with an RA-1 amp last week and have been using them on and off for about 10-15 Hrs. at the time of writing.

My initial reactions to the combo is that they provide excellent detail along with a really marvelous mid-range but is rather strident/piercing on the top end (especially apparent when listening to strings/certain vocals). The strange thing is that the top end forwardness is largely ameliorated when listening to SACD's?!

My questions are as follows:
1)Is the forwardness a function of break-in time?
2)If not, then is it accurately producing the source material (e.g. CD vs. SACD)?

The source used for the Grado setup is the Sony DVP-9000ES SACD/DVD/CD player. Interconnects are TMC (the music company -- Austrailian maker) yellow/white cables

Thanks in advance for any insights/opinions.
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by alexerwu
My initial reactions to the combo is that they provide excellent detail along with a really marvelous mid-range but is rather strident/piercing on the top end (especially apparent when listening to strings/certain vocals

It's those damn bowl pads that Grado insists on using
mad.gif

You might try my "hockey tape" tweak (based on Tyll Hertsens tape tweak). Put a piece of black hockey tape around the outside edge of the pads. This makes the bass a bit more present while toning down the harshness in the upper mids/treble.
http://head-fi.com/forums/showthread...s&pagenumber=2

Or you can "work in" the pads by squashing them, squeezing them, kneading them until they soften up a bit, then they will be more flexible and your ear will move closer to the driver.

Apr 2, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 27
...with the RS-1s, the "squishing the pads" thing didn't do much of anything. And believe me, I squished for a long time.

I ultimately got rid of my RS-1/RA-1 combo for the very reason you stated: they were too strident, pronounced and even harsh at the top end. Frankly, it was uncomfortable as hell and I was getting tinnitus.

One thing I have found from listening to other cans is that if they are harsh, they are probably not meant to be played that loud. If they are hurting at all, don't "dull down" your high-freq. response by bearing a few listens. Your ears will ring. I know, I did it and I wish I hadn't. My hearing has largely been restored, but after days and days and weeks of listening to Grados, I was going to bed with ringier and ringier ears. Very bad, in my opinion.

I think you either need to upgrade your transport/dac/cables to a warmer and/or tubier setup or ditch the Grado rig and look elsewhere. That's what I did and I don't regret it at all.

- Matt

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 27
i owned two pairs of rs-1s and a pair of allesndro/grado pros.

i found all to be too bright and foreward even with a wheatfield ha-2.

I tried the rs-1s with flat pads but i didnt like that either. everything is pushed foreward, like there is no depth to the stage.
Unless your willing to buy a cary 300 sei, i think you might have to try a different headphone or at least try flat pads.

k.s.

Apr 3, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 27
...to qualify the statement(s) I made, the RS-1s sound amazing with certain material (techno), but on other stuff (big band) they are unbearable.

I guess it's just a matter of what you want. If you want to be "in the disco" or "at the club," then Grados are great. It depends on what you like to listen to.

Best,
Matt

Apr 3, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 27
I would say it has to do with the pads primarily. As an owner of the RS1/RA1 combo as well as having 7 different versions of pads, I have to say those bowl pads are the worst things to happen to Grados EVER!.

You need the flat pads period. This gets rid of the harsh treble and completely tightens the bass up revealing truly what the RS-1s can do.

I am sorry you had to have your initial experience tainted by the crappy bowls...

My suggestion would be to try out some comfies with the center cut out of it before you make your final impression. Or hunt down some old flats
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 27
I'd say the RS-1 isn't worth trying any further. The only good recourse is to sell them. Since no one else would probably want them, I'll do you a favor and buy them from you for $50. Deal? No?
wink.gif

I'm sure you'll get it worked out. Congratulations on your purchase.

Driftwood

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 27
Strange, my RS-1s sounded great from the beginning. I guess everyone's ears are different though.

I agree that you shouldn't listen at too high a volume. I've noticed that with Grados it is very easy to turn it up too loud.

Apr 3, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for all the responses so far. I will let them continue to break in and then decide if I want to keep them or not. So far, I use them mainly for vocals or solo instruments. They give me seemingly more detail than my HD-600/X-Cans V2 setup. Anyway... another, another toy.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, due to the number of favorable posts on the Audio Technica ATH-W100 headphones, I've placed an order w/ Mr. Chan of AT Singapore. For the price, I think they are worth a shot.

Thx

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 27
Grados are pretty much renowned for their signature sound: 'bright,' 'foward,' 'fatiguing,' 'harsh' and 'unrefined' are some of the less pleasant things said about them; 'exciting,' in-your-face' and 'detailed' are some of the compliments. But whether good or bad, from these descriptions you can roughly guess the general character of all Grado phones, from the SR60 right through to the RS-1. One thing's for sure: if you hate one Grado, you hate them all. Browse through Head-Fi and you'll see.

However. the converse is not true: just because you like one Grado, doesn't mean you'll like them all. There's a good chance you will, but it's just not necessarily true.

I personally own only an SR60 and an RS-1, but I'm pretty much hooked onto the Grado sound (translation: I'm gonna get more!). I just can't seem to love the Senns or anything else as much. I think the amp also plays a great part. You might try JMT's CHA 47 (I'm also trying to get him to build one for me...sigh... no news). According to him, it's engineered with Grados in mind.

Anyway, glad to hear you're keeping the Grados... at least for now. If not, I don't mind taking the RA-1 off your hands.

Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 27
If it is any indication, the treble of my SR60 seemed to soften up after use (or did I just get used to it?). In any case, I do believe in Grado break-in. They "open-up" with time, they sound more relaxed. But it takes time. Months.

I love the Grado sound. I can't wait until I can afford some 325...
mad.gif
I demoed them at a store with a good CD player and a nice pre-amp: the sound was Gradorgasmic.

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 27
mmmmm.... SR325...... that's also my gonna be my next Grado, together with the 225s.
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, I've had my SR60 for about a couple of months now, but the sound still seems to be changing... for the better, of course. Maybe our ears are imagining things, or maybe the headphones are really changing, but given time, good headphones of any kind should get better with time and proper maintenance, just like good wine.

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Grados are pretty much renowned for their signature sound: 'bright,' 'foward,' 'fatiguing,' 'harsh' and 'unrefined' are some of the less pleasant things said about them

I could never describe the Grado sound with any of these terms. But again, I use the flat pads. I find Grados warm, detailed, smooth, full. If you want 'bright,' 'foward,' 'fatiguing,' 'harsh' and 'unrefined', use the bowl pads
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

It is amazing how much the pads change the character of the headphones.

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 27
Well, yeah, but how many people can realistically get their hands on some flat pads? I sure couldn't find any when I had Grados.

I agree about the Grado sound (bright, harsh, etc.) because of the above. Grados are definitely AuditionPhones (meaning, they sound great and exciting during the audition, but then you take them home and try to listen for an extended period of time and end up with severe ringing in your ears. Oy.)

- Matttttt

Apr 4, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 27
I use the bowl pads since I just ordered my RS-1's new a few months ago...but the posts I have read about the modded comfy pads (and by looking at the pics DarkAngel has posted), has caused me to order a pair and experiment some to see what difference it will make. Considering I spent about $550 on the phones, an extra $15 to see if the sound improves, even if only by a small amount, is chump change. I am by no means unsatisfied with the bowl pads, though...just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back