Grado PS-1's news
Mar 9, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #31 of 43
Not really for a small run like this produced for a single customer. It would be nice, but I bet the distributer was worried enough about making his money that the documentation got bargained away in order to cut the cost. It's an interesting question that I would say is open to interpretation as to whether a photocopied spec sheet would have been worse than nothing at all.

Mar 9, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Too bad Todd has to important them from Germany instead of having them shipped from NY. No matter how you look at it, the price IS $1400 US minimum for us North American folks. That is the domestic price. So in comparison to RS-1's which run $695 MSRP, they are still double.

Zanth,

as I have read NY meets threads, it seems that members like Bozebuttons, Todd, etc. have very good connections to John Grado. There're even Head-Fi meetings in Grado Labs. If there would be a demand from Head-Fi, I guess John Grado will manufacture 10-20 or 100 (???) more PS-1's. Am I right?

There has been a legitimate demand from German studios. Why not a legitimate demand from a group of Head-Fi members?

Mar 9, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
Zanth,

as I have read NY meets threads, it seems that members like Bozebuttons, Todd, etc. have very good connections to John Grado. There're even Head-Fi meetings in Grado Labs. If there would be a demand from Head-Fi, I guess John Grado will manufacture 10-20 or 100 (???) more PS-1's. Am I right?

There has been a legitimate demand from German studios. Why not a legitimate demand from a group of Head-Fi members?

haha you wish..

Biggie.

Mar 9, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
Zanth,

Heh, well, there is a legitimate demand for John to reinstate the HP-1000 series. Yet no action. In fact, when asked if ever? The answer is an explicit NO!

nextcube's response was interesting...

HP-1000's really were designed practically as cost no object. Their engineering is something to behold. You step on these babies and you are the one walking away broken, not they
smily_headphones1.gif
The sound, for those that enjoy neutral is second to none.

Oh, and by that I mean second to none, please include speakers there as well
smily_headphones1.gif

So does sticking RS-1 drivers in an aluminum enclosure address resonances like Joe did with his special alloy?

I'm dying to find out
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by nextcube
Doesn't it strike anyone as rather odd that the PS-1s are delivered without sort of
manual/documentation regarding its technical specifications/design etc. They look
a bit off in the their design. Like somebody got the idea of fabricating a number of
aluminium enclusures and refitted original Grado headphones. I seriously doubt that
it's an "ORIGINAL" product.

Another thing, the Original HPs weren't simply made of aluminium, but a special alloy
containing several other metals. So much for enclosure resonance damping...

I guess that HP's, SR-325's, MS-2's and PS-1's, all of them using the same material, as you mentioned the "special alloy". People here used to say "aluminium", the correct name should be "aluminium alloy". Even the Grado Labs website mentions once "special non-resonant hard alloy" and later "aluminium air chamber". In fact it means the same: "aluminium" isn't just "aluminium", it's usually an alloy, containing another chemical elements. E.g. Silumin (as I remember it's an aluminium alloy with 20% or more of Magnesium), Nikon cameras body are made of copper-silumin-aluminium metal alloy, Dural, etc..

I am also interested what kind of aluminium alloy it is. I will contact the material engineering lab and ask them. I will let you know as soon as I get reply.

Mar 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 43
From my experience, the HP-1000 alloy != the 325's material.

So the question now remains:

Does the new PS-1 cup = 325's? HP-1000's? Or something completely new?

I am betting on 325's with the shape of RS-1's.

Mar 9, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 43
If I understand Todd correctly, the PS-1 is an OEM product for a manufacturer in Germany. Grado Labs supplies partially completed headphones, for which final production work is done in Germany. Accordingly, that's the only source for these headphones. If this information is correct, Grado does not produce the finished product, and therefore can't supply it to the US.

Mar 9, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #38 of 43
Oh ho!!! How interesting....

Now then, if these things sound as good as the recent claims...then perhaps an entrepeneur may want to contact Grado and start building a few thousand of these babies for us Head-fiers at a decent price
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #39 of 43
Well I have a rs-1 coming to me so that I can do comparisons when I get my PS-1, so I may be able to offer some insight upon their arrival.

It would be nice to have a hp series to compare with... anyone in the baltimore area?

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
From my experience, the HP-1000 alloy != the 325's material.

So the question now remains:

Does the new PS-1 cup = 325's? HP-1000's? Or something completely new?

I am betting on 325's with the shape of RS-1's.

I see. Anyway, I could be helpful to find the exact material of MS-2's only.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
It would be nice to have a hp series to compare with... anyone in the baltimore area?

I'm about forty miles south.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back