Grado PS-1's news
Mar 5, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 43
So when does Todd open for business?

Omega 2's @ $1800? But you would still need an appropriate amplifier for another $1000? So the total is about $3000?

My wallet is long dead and can't muster the strength to complain anymore.

Hey Todd...............

Mitch

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
specifications.

He said that Grado only produced a limited quantity of these headphones for interested sound engineers in Germany. After all phones are sold, Grado has no plans of ever producing them again.

Methinks that they unearthed a few of the original HP 1000 housings, modded them and put together a few PS-1's. I seriously doubt they manufactured a limited run of "new" housings.

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 43
The PS-1 housing is basically just a metal RS-1 chamber. It's different from the HP-1000 chambers.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB
The PS-1 housing is basically just a metal RS-1 chamber. It's different from the HP-1000 chambers.

That's interesting. IIRC the HP-1000 has the same chamber size as the RS-2. That would make the PS-1 the only metal Grado with the larger chamber of the RS-1, if this is so.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
That's interesting. IIRC the HP-1000 has the same chamber size as the RS-2. That would make the PS-1 the only metal Grado with the larger chamber of the RS-1, if this is so.

Hirsch, PeterR's picture (from his thread) compares chambers of PS-1's, RS-1's and MS-2's. It confirms that the RS-1's & PS-1's chambers have the same length.
wink.gif

grados3.jpg

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 43
More questions.

In reading PeterR's review of the PS-1 Pros and comparison to the RS-1’s he used the Grado RA-1. An amp tuned for the RS-1’s.

I wonder what the results would be like if comparing the RS-1’s to a pair of HP1000’s using the RA-1?

Nik is using a higher end amp and is getting a different impression. Is it possible the colorations of the RS-1 compliment the RA-1 where the PS-1’s show the RA-1’s limitations? Obviously it’s all speculation without actually having the components to listen to and compare.

I should never have read any of these PS-1 Pro threads.

Mitch

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Nik is using a higher end amp and is getting a different impression. Is it possible the colorations of the RS-1 compliment the RA-1 where the PS-1’s show the RA-1’s limitations? Obviously it’s all speculation without actually having the components to listen to and compare.

I'd say the RS-1 and RA-1 surely have colorations that attempt to compliment each other, and while the RA-1 has that, it's far from getting the most out of the RS-1. While still a good match, the RA-1 does limit the RS-1. A better performing amp will better bring out the dynamics, quickness, low level detail, separation, air, and even soundstage (to a small extent) that the RS-1 is capable of. It may be that the RA-1 was the weak link that didn't expose the differences between the PS-1 and RS-1 well enough. It's been my experience that the RA-1 isn't a high end performer, though still a decent match for the RS-1, and I don't think that it necessarily takes the apparently better PS-1 to come to that realization about the RA-1.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #24 of 43
lol $1,400 for the ps-1 ! Umm I wonder were all the money is going.. just look-

You can buy the bowls for $15.00
You can buy a replacement rs-1 headband for around $75.00 ( the rs-2 headband is 50 with the plastic cups)
Replacement rs-1 drivers are around $200 IIRC
That crappy box cost like $5 dollars (prob less lol)
if it's the same cable as the rs-1 your look at $100.00
and Glue/screws less then 50 cents -

So were paying some were around 300 for the rs-1 cups. Seems some what reasonable BUT it also means were paying $1,000 dollars for the ps-1 metal cups lol!
This is even worse then paying 500 for that little wood amp nob.
That sad part about this is i'm thinking about getting the ps-1
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #25 of 43
Brailledrive, because Nik used the EAR HP4 which is supposed to be the best amp for the RS-1's...I figure they would be performing at the top of their game. Since the PS-1's are the same just with a different enclosure, the HP4 should have an equally easy time driving these and should do well to make them shine. I would however like to pair them up on my Melos and see how they perform. This baby was built to output insane current for Grados specifically.

But yeah...I still want to hear them no matter how turned off I am regarding the price.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 43
$1400. Ouch.

I'm still not a big fan of Grado's sound. It's been quite a few years since I've heard the RS-1's. My opinions would probably be different now.

LOL, the PS-1 make the eBay HP1000's look like a bargain.
tongue.gif

I'll admit, I do like the industrial look of the lathed aluminum of Grado's.

-Ed

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 43
Quite a shame. Although I'd never be able to afford such a phone, it would be nice to see a marketable consumer version of the PS-1 (perhaps modified and definitely cheaper). The aluminum chambers definitely seem to impact the sound in comparison to the RS-1 from what I've heard.

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
lol $1,400 for the ps-1 ! Umm I wonder were all the money is going.. just look-

You can buy the bowls for $15.00
You can buy a replacement rs-1 headband for around $75.00 ( the rs-2 headband is 50 with the plastic cups)
Replacement rs-1 drivers are around $200 IIRC
That crappy box cost like $5 dollars (prob less lol)
if it's the same cable as the rs-1 your look at $100.00
and Glue/screws less then 50 cents -

So were paying some were around 300 for the rs-1 cups. Seems some what reasonable BUT it also means were paying $1,000 dollars for the ps-1 metal cups lol!

The PS-1's price tag (1550$ at the current exchange rate BTW) looks awe inspiring, however that's mostly because you guys are comparing it to the US price of the RS-1. However in Germany the RS-1 is about 1250$, so it's not that much below the PS-1. If the PS-1 was a regular US product, you'd be looking at a RRP somewhere around USD 850-900.

Mar 9, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 43
Too bad Todd has to important them from Germany instead of having them shipped from NY. No matter how you look at it, the price IS $1400 US minimum for us North American folks. That is the domestic price. So in comparison to RS-1's which run $695 MSRP, they are still double.

Mar 9, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #30 of 43
Doesn't it strike anyone as rather odd that the PS-1s are delivered without sort of
manual/documentation regarding its technical specifications/design etc. They look
a bit off in the their design. Like somebody got the idea of fabricating a number of
aluminium enclusures and refitted original Grado headphones. I seriously doubt that
it's an "ORIGINAL" product.

Another thing, the Original HPs weren't simply made of aluminium, but a special alloy
containing several other metals. So much for enclosure resonance damping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back