Grado modders go Magnum
Apr 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,441 of 4,994
Doesn't someone do that already? I know the guys over at goodcans have what appears to be a fairly standard pad that sits around the stock L-pads. Also, someone, I forget who has those vented wood ones that allow it to fit into Beyer pads.

That said, anything circumaural seems to effect the sound, and many feel that it does so negatively. It may not be able to increase the driver distance and not hurt the sound quality.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,442 of 4,994
The mods are more forward on the V4s, reducing the perceived soundstage too.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,443 of 4,994

Quote:
 You are totaly on point.
What we need is an adapter that will widen the base of the Grado lip so that it is possible to fit other after market pads such as the Fischer, Hi-Fiman, Shure, LCD-2..... This would allow us to pad roll and piggy back the work already done in the T50rp threads.
Even more so than other headphones, the grado/magnum sound is dependent on the pad choice.

I do not think an adapter would be the solution to the problem as most of the after market pads are huge to accomodate all ear sizes. Plus it has been tried before with an adapter for the Beyerdynamic pads and according to the majority, the sound quality dropped (i suspect because the space in the pads increased much like using G cushes thus affecting the sound) not to mention it looks goofy on the head. The only way to keep the grado sound sig would be to use foam and even with that there are major preferences over which foam is the best hence the debates between the senn hd414 pads, flats, bowls and comfies. I think i have in mind a design for a pad. Will visit foam suppliers next week to see if they can get a pair done for myself under my specifications. =) I have not seen the fairly standard pad that sits around the stock L-pads. could you post a link? thankss guys =)

May 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,445 of 4,994
Hey guys. Long time no talk 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Any of you have SR225(i) drivers for sale?  I just busted one of mine while liberating them. PM me if you do. Thanks!

May 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,446 of 4,994
Hey guys as some of you might know I re-purchased LCD-2's recently..

Survey says...

Hang onto your Magnums for dear life boys.

May 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,447 of 4,994
Wow. So you think the Magnums beat out the LCDs? I would think that the LCD beat the pants off the Magnums in certain areas like clarity and extension of mid to lower bass. I'm saving my pennies for a pair of LCD-2 Rev2s. Hrrrrrmmmm.

May 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,450 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey guys as some of you might know I re-purchased LCD-2's recently..

Survey says...

Hang onto your Magnums for dear life boys.

Hey Chris, I see you still have the RS2i so do you prefer them to the Magnum and why? if you don't mind me asking. 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,451 of 4,994
Quote:
I don't think I agree with Chris on this one..... My LCD-2s rev2 take a good chunk of my headtime now :)

Darren

+1

I listen to the LCD-2r2 a great deal more than the Magnums as well, although they are so different I can see someone preferring the Magnums based on sound signature alone. And we all know Chris is a huge Gradophile. :wink:

Chris -- what happened to your Hifimans?

May 3, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,454 of 4,994
Quote:
Wow. So you think the Magnums beat out the LCDs? I would think that the LCD beat the pants off the Magnums in certain areas like clarity and extension of mid to lower bass. I'm saving my pennies for a pair of LCD-2 Rev2s. Hrrrrrmmmm.

Quote:
The LCD's FR certainly look flatter and to have greater bass extension

Quote:
I don't think I agree with Chris on this one..... My LCD-2s rev2 take a good chunk of my headtime now :)

Darren

Quote:
Hey Chris, I see you still have the RS2i so do you prefer them to the Magnum and why? if you don't mind me asking. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

+1

I listen to the LCD-2r2 a great deal more than the Magnums as well, although they are so different I can see someone preferring the Magnums based on sound signature alone. And we all know Chris is a huge Gradophile. :wink:

Chris -- what happened to your Hifimans?

Dude. I have no idea why. My Magnum build is also with a silver recable and it's in an RS-2 cup so it's a lot tighter in there than a lot of the widemouth cups yalls been using. I have a rev 1, but apparently it's not that much of a difference...

I'm also using a fairly janky cable on this so who knows. 

And yeah Questhate, I am a gigantic Gradophile, thats why I have a library of them and I won't sell them off even if I have to do questionable acts for money on the street for Chipotle money

May 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,455 of 4,994
Hmm wonder if anyone has actually tried those comfort rings haha .... thanks for the link mate =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back