Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #3,362 of 4,994
So yesterday I finally got in a pair of Magnum V4. They came in some Vibro RS1-style cups with (of all things) a Sennheiser cable modded (ie: ends cut off) and soldered direct to the drivers. The Sennheiser cable was a first for me. Kudos to whoever did that. Its less obtrusive than the stock Grado.

The sound is very appealing. I can see why so many loved the V4 and call it the best work that Rhydon did. There's less bass reach than the Turbulent X (AKA the V5), but not much less. They are able to convey just enough of a the lower reach rumble to not be deficient, and they have better-than-average levels of detail.

I can only hope that the discontinuation of the Turbulent X means a new Magnum driver is on the horizon...the SennGrado is fun and all, but it shouldn't be the only option out there...

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,364 of 4,994
I just got a Turbulent Labs made Magnum V5, and I have an all aluminum V4 already in possession (SR325i cups, self-made aluminum inserts).

Unfortunately, I have been very busy lately and do not yet have the time to compare these cans.

I also recently bought the GS1000e and the ATH-W5000.  The GS1000e is sold as I found myself listening to the V4s more than them, and I am looking to sell the ATH-5K for the same reason.  I just felt the magnums have a lot to offer for the price.

I find the v4 (again, really haven't spent much time with the v5s yet) to be more balanced than the GS1Ke, but doesn't have the same level of extension on either side of the spectrum.  The GS1Ke has a wide soundstage, and I felt it's the function of the pads more than anything, I felt the GS1Ke has a better build.  But even not taking into consideration the price of the two headphones, I find the v4s to be more musical and enjoyable, and about as comfortable.  I admit that part of that may be due to the fact that I built the v4s and will likely never part with it, but when you take into account the price differences (cost me about $350 to build my own, not counting the hundreds I have tied up with the unused/unsold aluminum inserts I have on hand), and the GS1000e goes for about $1k new and $700 used, I felt the v4s is the easy choice between the two.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3,366 of 4,994
  Is the driver seated in aluminium or is the bottom part of the enclosure plastic? 

Pictures.

The drivers are seated in aluminum, there are no plastics in the enclosure itself.

You can see my signature for pictures and more information about what is right and wrong about them.  I am trying to sell those off at cost (I ordered 50 as that was the minimum order ... when I only needed 2), and you can see how they work.  Essentially it's just an aluminum version of those plastic Grado inserts.  I actually sent the plastic inserts to the shop and asked them to make replicas.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,367 of 4,994

Is the driver seated in aluminium or is the bottom part of the enclosure plastic? 

Pictures.

The drivers are seated in aluminum, there are no plastics in the enclosure itself.

You can see my signature for pictures and more information about what is right and wrong about them.  I am trying to sell those off at cost (I ordered 50 as that was the minimum order ... when I only needed 2), and you can see how they work.  Essentially it's just an aluminum version of those plastic Grado inserts.  I actually sent the plastic inserts to the shop and asked them to make replicas.

Very very nice! Great work!

Love the pics!

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,368 of 4,994

Pictures.

I've been meaning to do the same with the Aluminum inserts I got from you. Except I want them in wood. I don't know about the magnum drivers, but I suspect the Grados drivers would do better in wood inserts with metal outer cups, than an all aluminum enclosure.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,369 of 4,994
I've been meaning to do the same with the Aluminum inserts I got from you. Except I want them in wood. I don't know about the magnum drivers, but I suspect the Grados drivers would do better in wood inserts with metal outer cups, than an all aluminum enclosure.

I actually did a set of wood inserts with metal cups a while back for another member. Even though I wouldn't have built it if he didn't want them (I reached out to him because I wanted to just build some phones but didn't have the cash), I really regret selling those.

I would still run into those phones once in a while during meets as I would ask him to bring them, and those things are great. Of all the track style headphones I've heard, I would say they are the second best after the HP1000. They were that good.

It was a cocobolo wood inserts with the sr325 goodies, the sound was smooth and musical. The aluminum inserts were more analytical and detailed, but some may find it too cold. The full woodies are nice and smooth, but they are too smooth for my tastes. I haven't tried the aluminum I with wood cups yet, but would love to one day.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #3,370 of 4,994
I actually did a set of wood inserts with metal cups a while back for another member. Even though I wouldn't have built it if he didn't want them (I reached out to him because I wanted to just build some phones but didn't have the cash), I really regret selling those.
I would still run into those phones once in a while during meets as I would ask him to bring them, and those things are great. Of all the track style headphones I've heard, I would say they are the second best after the HP1000. They were that good.
It was a cocobolo wood inserts with the sr325 goodies, the sound was smooth and musical. The aluminum inserts were more analytical and detailed, but some may find it too cold. The full woodies are nice and smooth, but they are too smooth for my tastes. I haven't tried the aluminum I with wood cups yet, but would love to one day.

I've been wanting to get back to messing with these two...

I currently have the Sr325 with it's plastic inserts in the heavier aluminum cups and the Sr225i back in it's stock plastic sleeves/cups. I want to get some wooden sleeves for the sr325 before I fully liberate it's drivers...

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,371 of 4,994
Things have been quiet on the Magnum front of late. Finished these yesterday morning though...

The cups were a intended to carry on the spirit of the @thelostMIDrange's work, specifically this pair:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665094/v4-5-magnum-must-see-cups

I switched it up a little and made the driver seats from Rosewood, the body from Mahogany, and the outside faces from Paduak. The drivers are Magnum V4, the cable was made by @PETEREK. Its a simple, Mogami effort, sleeved in black paracord and terminated with a 1/8th Amphenol plug. The headband is from a pair of Sony MDR7502.

The result is a super-light pair of headphones with that fantastic Magnum sound. Interestingly enough I am finding it doesn't play as well as I would like it to with my Pono player. The sound is too cold, bordering on harsh. Plugged into my old iPod 1st gen though or a Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), and its right where I want it. Going to experiment with pad-rolling a little, try some S-Cush and few other options I have been exploring...

I plan to keep expanding on this theme if I get time and tweak the design a little more (increase the cup length a teeny bit, experiment a little more with the driver seat and pad lip, try some denser wood for the driver seat, etc, etc...)

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3,372 of 4,994
  Things have been quiet on the Magnum front of late. Finished these yesterday morning though...

The cups were a intended to carry on the spirit of the @thelostMIDrange's work, specifically this pair:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665094/v4-5-magnum-must-see-cups

I switched it up a little and made the driver seats from Rosewood, the body from Mahogany, and the outside faces from Paduak. The drivers are Magnum V4, the cable was made by @PETEREK. Its a simple, Mogami effort, sleeved in black paracord and terminated with a 1/8th Amphenol plug. The headband is from a pair of Sony MDR7502.

The result is a super-light pair of headphones with that fantastic Magnum sound. Interestingly enough I am finding it doesn't play as well as I would like it to with my Pono player. The sound is too cold, bordering on harsh. Plugged into my old iPod 1st gen though or a Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), and its right where I want it. Going to experiment with pad-rolling a little, try some S-Cush and few other options I have been exploring...

I plan to keep expanding on this theme if I get time and tweak the design a little more (increase the cup length a teeny bit, experiment a little more with the driver seat and pad lip, try some denser wood for the driver seat, etc, etc...)

Nice work!

Is that Indian Rosewood? 

It's getting hard to find the Magnum drivers.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,373 of 4,994
Nice work!

Is that Indian Rosewood? 

It's getting hard to find the Magnum drivers.

It is indeed. Not sure how I feel about Rosewood. Liked how it worked out on this pair though. I had to buy a build off someone else for those drivers. They are indeed getting scarce (like my other favorites, the SR60 pinks)...

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #3,374 of 4,994
I wish I could get the chance to hear a pair of Magnums with TLM's cups and compare them to my aluminium models.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,375 of 4,994
I wish I could get the chance to hear a pair of Magnums with TLM's cups and compare them to my aluminium models.

For a little while I saw a few pairs surface in the classifieds. His work is pretty distinctive. Haven't seen any in a long time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back