Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,206 of 4,994
I've said it before and I'll say it again..the v5 is amazing and deserves to be regarding as a top of the line flagship. If you havent heard them with tubes then you are sorely missing out!

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,209 of 4,994
Quote:
They are housed in black anodized aluminum chambers that I purchased from Rhydon. It's been a long while so I don't know if he still sells them. The backs are black plastic from a pair of SR80s. You can see a pic of them in my profile
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried him for some chambers a month back, no dice sadly. A cup maker I got in touch with was going to prototype some wooden sleeves, but I haven't heard anything from him. From what I gather making them out of wood is painful to say the least.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,210 of 4,994
Quote:
They are housed in black anodized aluminum chambers that I purchased from Rhydon. It's been a long while so I don't know if he still sells them. The backs are black plastic from a pair of SR80s. You can see a pic of them in my profile
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, those are some great looking headphones! I like the color scheme!

Is that the Onyx Manta headband from Turbulent Labs? What do you think of it?

Where did you get that cable?

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,211 of 4,994
Oh, those are some great looking headphones! I like the color scheme!

Is that the Onyx Manta headband from Turbulent Labs? What do you think of it?

Where did you get that cable?

The headband is the onyx manta but i got it from headphone lounge which i think is the same as what is offered by turbulebt labs, and it's great.

I actually made the cable myself using copper cable from plusSound on etsy and orange paracord.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,212 of 4,994
I believe their are two headbands options from Headphone Lounge/Turbulent, the Manta or Onyx. One is cheaper and less padded. I have the cheaper one, I think Onyx (can't remember which is which) and it is great! I recommend the cheaper $38 option it is totally lux and worth it!

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2,213 of 4,994
I believe their are two headbands options from Headphone Lounge/Turbulent, the Manta or Onyx. One is cheaper and less padded. I have the cheaper one, I think Onyx (can't remember which is which) and it is great! I recommend the cheaper $38 option it is totally lux and worth it!
ohhh ok...i think i have the manta

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,214 of 4,994
I just finished my Magnums yesterday
smile.gif

V5 Drivers> Turbulent Labs woody cups> Sr125 cable. All listening so far has been with my Hisound Studio 3rd Anniv. and I'm very pleased so far. Also, I just checked my mail and I had the Black Manta Headband and a pair of Cabillas' Mahogany mushroom cups waiting for me.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #2,215 of 4,994
Quote:
Do you like the different tone of the highs?

I'm using some Magnum V4's right now, but my Magnum X drivers are on the way! I'll post some impressions when I get them. However, it will be tricky to do comparisons, seeing as I won't be able to A/B the V4's and X drivers. I'll be using the cups and cable that my V4's are using now with the new drivers. But I'll try to describe what differences I hear as best as I can.

Its neither better or worse, just came as a bit of a shock at first but I've just got used to it now. Again, I'm not comparing to other Magnum drivers but low end Alessandro/Grado. Was getting some strange over sensitivity through my tube amp at first (crackling) but that went after a few hours. Not sure who it was that described them as V shaped, but to me they are definitely not V shaped, the mids are as forward as ever (with bowls). With jumbos the highs become sibilant and a bit painful and the mids sit back more. Though, I have my Magnum X's in my low profile walnut cups right now not in my deep aluminiums. I have some of Cabillas GS1000 cups on the way that I will try next with jumbos.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,216 of 4,994
Quote:
I just finished my Magnums yesterday
smile.gif

V5 Drivers> Turbulent Labs woody cups> Sr125 cable. All listening so far has been with my Hisound Studio 3rd Anniv. and I'm very pleased so far. Also, I just checked my mail and I had the Black Manta Headband and a pair of Cabillas' Mahogany mushroom cups waiting for me.
evil_smiley.gif

Nice...I hope you're liking the Magnums....when they popped up the classifieds, I PM'd lostMidrange, and popped off for a snack...twenty minutes later you had beaten me to 'em because I hadn't responded you bugger
rolleyes.gif
...no hard feelings though, mine should be here from Jin any day now
bigsmile_face.gif
...my Cabillas cups are waiting quietly on the shelf...

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,220 of 4,994
Larry at Headphile told me he would only do them with, at minimum, a recable. He said that he threw away more than he kept because the work is so delicate and the wood breaks so frequently while doing it. Makes me wonder how Grado pulls it off with the PS500 though. They have wooden inner sleeves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back