Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,921 of 4,994
Quote:
Quote:
You mean MS2i cups? Anyway I think the inner chambers matter a lot more to the sound than the cups/outters.

Okay let's do that!

Yup, ms2i cups indeed.

I had the aluminum inners too, but I think you knew that.. and I agree, the inner chambers matter more.

Quote:
I would imagine that the glue that holds the inners and outers together would matter more than the outers. I know Rhydon uses some insane anaerobic glue that is supposedly harder to break than the metal in the gimbals (I wanted to remove the tips and change the rodblocks). I would imagine that Grado's hot glue likely has some interaction between the plastic inner and metal, plastic, or wood outer. I would bet that the effects/resonance of the wood effects the inner, which would effect the sound more than the outers.

I'm pretty sure Rhydon doesn't use glue at all. I think he pressure fits them somehow. I've never quite understood the process, but from what I understand, they'd be mighty hard to get apart.. Maybe I'm wrong though, it's been a while.

FWIW, I used a piece of electrical tape on the inner to make the outer shell secure on my aluminum magnums.

You may be right. My magnums looked so nice, I couldn't bare to tinker too much, then I listened and the desire to tinker entirely faded. We all know for sure though, that Grado uses hot glue.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,922 of 4,994
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Rhydon doesn't use glue at all. I think he pressure fits them somehow. I've never quite understood the process, but from what I understand, they'd be mighty hard to get apart.. Maybe I'm wrong though, it's been a while.

I remember reading that he used a 1-3-5-10-X ton(s) press in the process... at the time though I simply thought that it was to insert the rods into the annular part of the gimbals. Kind of like Grado does for its metal gimbals:

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,923 of 4,994
I just wanted to stop by to post some impressions of some various Magnum setups,  namely, the different pad options available. I've tried my all-black v4 drivers (in a Symphones black anodized chamber) with bowl pads, bowl pads with sock covering, G-Cush, "Ultimate" mod with g-cush, and TTVJ flat pads.

Here are some simple descriptions with each pad setup:

Bowl pads-- nice sound: good soundstage and bass and amazing mids
Bowl pads with sock mod: same as bowl pads, but slightly warms the sound (or maybe the socks are just making my ears a little warm haha) Seriously, though, this has the benefits of the bowls with extra smoothness and comfort. However, funny as it is, the type of sock and number of folds you use affects the sound.
G-Cush: Great soundstage, but sounds too thin, lacks bass and mid presence.
Ultimate mod with distancers and G-cush: Better than just G-Cush. The sound is more neutral than thin and brings back some of the bass presence. However, this mod takes away the rich sound that makes magnums sound distinct and special, IMO.
TTVJ Flat pads: Nice bass, but congested and lacks soundstage and depth

Winner: Bowls + socks, no contest. However, 2nd place belongs to just bowls.

I have HD414 pads on the way and I'm curious about them, but I doubt they'll be able to overcome the greatness of the bowls+socks.

One last note...I took some blue tack and spread a thin ring around where the driver meets the aluminum shells to fill in the little crack. I think it may have made a positive difference, but I can't be bothered to undo it to A/B. At the very least, it keeps the bowl pads from slipping off, which alone makes it worthwhile.

That's all folks! I love me some Magnums! 

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,924 of 4,994
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Personally I love taped bowls the most for the John Grados (for Joseph Grados too, but they are less of a lifesaver)... for reasons similar to those that makes you like sock bowls. It's been a while since I've used unmodded, stock bowls. I just did yesterday, using my Magnum, and I quickly went back to put the taped ones.

I realized they are the biggest reason why I've never had a clear preference for my HP 1000, and always liked to alternate between the two makers of headphones.

Still, I remember when I discovered this thread last Christmas, I had a clear preference for the HP 1000 (in form a SR100-0) and I was already in my quest for buying my HP2, and I wouldn't listen to my 2001 RS-1 or 2005 SR325i at all. (Parenthesis, both these two John Grados and/or years sounds very alike).

Funnily enough, when I first tried my SR100-0 they sounded blank, in the middle, tasteless, and I was deceived. All I wanted was to be the least bit impressed by them, especially for the price that I had paid, 750 – one of the most expensive sum I had ever spent in one shot; and I'm a cheapskate mind you, I've been saving up all my life (never went to the restaurant, cinema, bars etc.), and Grado headphones had me break my bank for the first time, so psychologically it was huge. I was on a down, and this time, clearly done with it (three Grados, Head-Fi, not that bad).

I took the following week to return to my very first headphones and enjoyed each of them thoroughly for a day, in the chronological order they appeared in my life. RS-1 and SR325i finished the cycle, I focused a lot on them; they were great and better than the preceding ones: Sennheiser CX-300, Razer Carcharias and Koss KSC-75.

Finally I took back this darned Red Grado from its box under my bed. I had lusted on them so much, red paint, black star drivers, etc. Well long story short, you already know the ending, I liked them; and it made me what I am; and I've never re-used my two John Grados after that... UNTIL I DISCOVERED TAPED BOWLS!

Back to the topic...

They are magical with most John Grados, and the Magnums too. I'm so happy that this was discovered, and that the physiology of the Grados allows it.  

What taped bowls create (for the John Grados, my HP 1000 ) is a cavity for sound to resonate, and I love this added fluidity of the highs and the fullness provided by the bass that is now retained by the tape (think about it, Grados are the only open-back serious headphones that are also "open-(on the)-side" [except maybe the K1000] – because of the peculiar fact that use foam, airy material, as earpads; so the sound bounces off your head and escapes).

People complain that taped bowls loosen with the bass, maybe, but so does the flats (with taped bowls you get to keep the soundstage), all of holes people punches with a pen behind their Grado drivers and the ultimate mod. Actually, most if not all of the Grado mods are aimed towards either enhancing bass or taming the highs; 3M Scotch tape around bowls does both for me, without the need to open the headphone up.

I always want to listen to music louder and longer with taped bowls. My pads in order of the ones I use the most: taped bowls (most of the time) > flats (SR325i, HP2i) >> bowls. Sound quality-wise the taped bowls edges out the flats, but the taped bowls are a considerably more ergonomic and comfortable (especially with Sennheiser PX100 pads under them).

Maybe they look silly, but without them I would have never listened much again to and probably would have sold half of my headphone collection.

(oh and yeah, and they do also turn off the "harshness" switch of the John Grados, and the "shoutiness" switch [much less worst] of the Joseph Grados)

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,925 of 4,994
Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Personally I love taped bowls the most for the John Grados (for Joseph Grados too, but they are less of a lifesaver)... for reasons similar to those that makes you like sock bowls. It's been a while since I've used unmodded, stock bowls. I just did yesterday, using my Magnum, and I quickly went back to put the taped ones.

I realized they are the biggest reason why I've never had a clear preference for my HP 1000, and always liked to alternate between the two makers of headphones.

Still, I remember when I discovered this thread last Christmas, I had a clear preference for the HP 1000 (in form a SR100-0) and I was already in my quest for buying my HP2, and I wouldn't listen to my 2001 RS-1 or 2005 SR325i at all. (Parenthesis, both these two John Grados and/or years sounds very alike).

Funnily enough, when I first tried my SR100-0 they sounded blank, in the middle, tasteless, and I was deceived. All I wanted was to be the least bit impressed by them, especially for the price that I had paid, 750 – one of the most expensive sum I had ever spent in one shot; and I'm a cheapskate mind you, I've been saving up all my life (never went to the restaurant, cinema, bars etc.), and Grado headphones had me break my bank for the first time, so psychologically it was huge. I was on a down, and this time, clearly done with it (three Grados, Head-Fi, not that bad).

I took the following week to return to my very first headphones and enjoyed each of them thoroughly for a day, in the chronological order they appeared in my life. RS-1 and SR325i finished the cycle, I focused a lot on them; they were great and better than the preceding ones: Sennheiser CX-300, Razer Carcharias and Koss KSC-75.

Finally I took back this darned Red Grado from its box under my bed. I had lusted on them so much, red paint, black star drivers, etc. Well long story short, you already know the ending, I liked them; and it made me what I am; and I've never re-used my two John Grados after that... UNTIL I DISCOVERED TAPED BOWLS!

Back to the topic...

They are magical with most John Grados, and the Magnums too. I'm so happy that this was discovered, and that the physiology of the Grados allows it.  

What taped bowls create (for the John Grados, my HP 1000 ) is a cavity for sound to resonate, and I love this added fluidity of the highs and the fullness provided by the bass that is now retained by the tape (think about it, Grados are the only open-back serious headphones that are also "open-(on the)-side" [except maybe the K1000] – because of the peculiar fact that use foam, airy material, as earpads; so the sound bounces off your head and escapes).

People complain that taped bowls loosen with the bass, maybe, but so does the flats (with taped bowls you get to keep the soundstage), all of holes people punches with a pen behind their Grado drivers and the ultimate mod. Actually, most if not all of the Grado mods are aimed towards either enhancing bass or taming the highs; 3M Scotch tape around bowls does both for me, without the need to open the headphone up.

I always want to listen to music louder and I can do it for longer with taped bowls. My pads in order of the ones I use the most: taped bowls (most of the time) > flats (SR325i, HP2i) >> bowls. Sound quality-wise the taped bowls edges out the flats, but the taped bowls are a considerably more ergonomic and comfortable (especially with Sennheiser PX100 pads under them).

This post is in honor of the taped bowls. I don't care if you look silly, without you I would have never listened again to and probably sold half of my headphone collection.

(oh and yeah, and they also turn off the "harshness" switch of the John Grados, and the "shoutiness" switch [much less worst] of the Joseph Grados)

I believe I said I would try this one day a LONG time ago....got caught up in school work and forgot, so silly (pulling out the tape dispenser as I write this).

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #1,927 of 4,994
Quote:
For most people it's a dramatic change :wink:, especially for a two minutes mod

I like it, I think. I'm listening to material I'm not as familiar with. It sounds good, but well, it always sounds good :). After this album, I'll try something I know a bit better. The tape doesn't seem to stick very well. I can only imagine a store selling "Grado Mod Tape". I tried it once before with electrical tape and hated it, which is so weird. Also, I wonder if those silicone bracelets (think livestrong) would work and stay on better.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,928 of 4,994
Quote:
Quote:
For most people it's a dramatic change :wink:, especially for a two minutes mod

I like it, I think. I'm listening to material I'm not as familiar with. It sounds good, but well, it always sounds good :). After this album, I'll try something I know a bit better. The tape doesn't seem to stick very well. I can only imagine a store selling "Grado Mod Tape". I tried it once before with electrical tape and hated it, which is so weird. Also, I wonder if those silicone bracelets (think livestrong) would work and stay on better.

I did some listening to some stuff I know a bit better. It's certainly different. At first blush, I prefer it, but now I'm finding some things I like a tad less. The V4 Mag is a great can all around, and the tape mod certainly hurts nothing, but it does change it up a bit. And it makes it excel in a lot of ways. There is a bit more texture, I dig that. But, for some tracks, I do miss some of the edge in the top end. Either way, I'm keeping the tape on for a while, until I get used to it, then I'll probably remove it again.

I definitely need better tape though, I currently have the satin finish stuff, and it's more rigid and falls off. Have you played with tape widths at all? Maybe I'll experiment with electrical tape again.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,929 of 4,994
Quote:

3M Scotch Tape (red package color, avoid the "Magic Tape", similar to Scotch but you can write on it, in the green package color) is easy to remove and I can confirm that it stays on nicely. Mine has been used and the pads exchanged many times, the tape is still holding strong.

Some prefer to use electrical tape (though it's a lot harder to remove, and could leave glue residue behind), I haven't tried it. Some punch holes in it to diminish the magnitude of the effect.

I wonder if it sounds as detailed as 3M's Scotch :p, which is more rigid. Those concerned by the reflective look of 3M Scotch tape on their pads can put electrical tape on top of it.

Listen to stuff you're familiar with.

Like we say all the time: I am only one guy telling you (passionately) "I really like them" (that implies "with the kind of audio material I'm into", which is metal and video game music), so your mileage may vary. And like when I first listened to the HP 1000 (my SR100-0), first impressions are not always reliable (because your brain needs to adapt, by default he doesn't like change).

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #1,930 of 4,994
Quote:
Quote:

3M Scotch Tape (red package color, avoid the "Magic Tape", similar to Scotch but you can write on it, in the green package color) is easy to remove and I can confirm that it stays on nicely. Mine has been used and the pads exchanged many times, the tape is still holding strong.

Some prefer to use electrical tape (though it's a lot harder to remove, and could leave glue residue behind), I haven't tried it. Some punch holes in it to diminish the magnitude of the effect.

I wonder if it sounds as detailed as 3M's Scotch :p, which is more rigid. Those concerned by the reflective look of 3M Scotch tape on their pads can put electrical tape on top of it.

Listen to stuff you're familiar with.

Like we say all the time: I am only one guy telling you "I really like them" (that implies "with the kind of audio material I'm into", which is metal and video game music), so your mileage may vary. And like when I first listened to the HP 1000 (my SR100-0), first impressions are not always reliable (because your brain needs to adapt, by default he doesn't like change).

I was just going to go to the office products store and ask for the tape that makes headphones sound best!

I had the magic stuff. I tried the electrical tape and hated it. I hated it so much that it prompted me to put velour pads on my closed cans, think that it would have a similar effect and make them even clearer (didn't really work). I read some people had a hard time removing the tape, that it damaged the pads. Have you had any problems with that?

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #1,931 of 4,994
Good question

Nope, 3M's Scotch Tape (which is made to be more adhesive than the Magic one [made to be easily removed]) removes itself smoothly and easily. It leaves nothing behind nor it lift pad particles (unless your pads are really old or have been washed very often).

From my experience, you can press it quite a lot to stick against the pad, and even up to one month it will be easy to remove. More than that I don't know, I'm not trying it :p.

I was just going to go to the office products store and ask for the tape that makes headphones sound best!

A bit like asking for audiophile shampoo at the drugstore. Lol

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #1,932 of 4,994
Quote:
Good question

Nope, 3M's Scotch Tape (which is made to be more adhesive than the Magic one [made to be easily removed]) removes itself smoothly and easily. It leaves nothing behind nor it lift pad particles (unless your pads are really old or have been washed very often).

From my experience, you can press it quite a lot to stick against the pad, and even up to one month it will be easy to remove. More than that I don't know, I'm not trying it :p.

A bit like asking for audiophile shampoo at the drugstore. Lol

Been there done that, Walgreens always knows what I need, CVS always seems confused.

So you change it monthly? Hmmm, wish there was a more permanent solution.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #1,933 of 4,994
Hey there,

Not to derail the conversation or anything, but I was just wondering what the general preference is regarding cables with the Magnum V4 drivers: silver, copper or hybrid? My first thought is that since they were designed as a mod for 325i/is Grados, a copper one would be the obvious choice...

Aside from the "cable is placebo" school of thought, any opinions out there?

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,934 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey there,

Not to derail the conversation or anything, but I was just wondering what the general preference is regarding cables with the Magnum V4 drivers: silver, copper or hybrid? My first thought is that since they were designed as a mod for 325i/is Grados, a copper one would be the obvious choice...

Aside from the "cable is placebo" school of thought, any opinions out there?

Copper, the difference is small (if there is one at all). I think I prefer copper.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,935 of 4,994
Thanks Chris...good to know. I was ready to assume as much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back