Grado HP1000 "The legendary Grado"
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #46 of 65
I REALLY wanted mine..HP1 with perfect lettering. I paid $3,000. Then I bought both the Grado amps for it (HPA-1 and RA-1).

Bliss!
Amazing setup 👌

You got one of the best collection sets. Hope you keep it forever 💯

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #47 of 65
74C82A0A-99D7-4FC4-8DD1-45DB3029BC4B.jpeg

As someone who owns a lot of very good "classical" headphones. I have found that the combination of the hp-1000's timber and dynamics, have made them the best I have ever heard right up there with the R10 for Mozart and the alike.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #48 of 65
74C82A0A-99D7-4FC4-8DD1-45DB3029BC4B.jpeg

As someone who owns a lot of very good "classical" headphones. I have found that the combination of the hp-1000's timber and dynamics, have made them the best I have ever heard right up there with the R10 for Mozart and the alike.
Wonderful. Hp1000 is a timeless masterpiece

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #49 of 65
classical
My favorite is beethoven and Wagner, gear like estats, R10 and Hp1000 does them very well.

R10 is technically strictly for classical music. Sounds very nice.

HD800, 009 and Hp1000 are also great for classical. Even the old lambdas are nice and sweet sounding.

I found the 007mk1/hE90 as one of the best all rounder headphones. Which in turn makes it my #1 and #2 headphone of all time.

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #50 of 65
My favorite is beethoven and Wagner, gear like estats, R10 and Hp1000 does them very well.

R10 is technically strictly for classical music. Sounds very nice.

HD800, 009 and Hp1000 are also great for classical. Even the old lambdas are nice and sweet sounding.

I found the 007mk1/hE90 as one of the best all rounder headphones. Which in turn makes it my #1 and #2 headphone of all time.

The 009 for me is not a great classical headphone - the pitch is off with violas and basses.
Agree on other fronts. 007 mk1 71xxx is #1 in my book.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #51 of 65
Yeah, 009 do show some wonkiness 😆
But with my 717 and 313 and a r2r dac I got it to sound pretty good with classical. Got it to be very lively.
Overall, interesting nonetheless

Btw did you end up keeping the X9000? Is it even worth it for let's say strictly classical music?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #52 of 65
Yeah, 009 do show some wonkiness 😆
But with my 717 and 313 and a r2r dac I got it to sound pretty good with classical. Got it to be very lively.
Overall, interesting nonetheless

Btw did you end up keeping the X9000? Is it even worth it for let's say strictly classical music?

I sold the x9k. I think it can be a great headphone on a strong tube amp like the megatron or t2 - as I got a taste for that using the Mjolnir Novem (which I strongly preferred to the Mjolnir carbon).

Relevant to this thread, I went to the LA Phil and then after came home and listened to most of my gear to see which sounded closest. I had a master recording from the previous year’s performance at the same venue/same pieces.
In spite of the soundstage limitations, it was my hp-2i that sounded the most accurate to the experience.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #53 of 65
it was my hp-2i that sounded the most accurate to the experience.
Yeah, Hp1000 is a great neutrality headphone. Just plays the music how it is without coloration. Also, the og pads are the best with it. I try the jumbo pads and the rest and they change the sound.

HE6, 6 and 4 screw and Stax Omega 1993 are other great contender for a neutrality sound.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #54 of 65
I love the HP1000. Hadn't listened to it in a couple months and brought it back into rotation today. Immediately reminded why it's the ultimate WFH accessory. So easy to listen to but still incredibly engaging. I found mine as a Headphile modded atrocity, but I was able to get it for cheap because it lost all collector value. Good for me because I'm a listener, not a collector. The ZMF Grado pads also are my preferred pads to the flats and make it all day wearable.

IMG_2617.jpeg

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #55 of 65
Aug 1, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #56 of 65
@Failed Engineer

Nice, can you take pic of the cups? It's modded right? Wood?

Also, how come you have 2 ECP DSHA-3F? Heard amazing things about this amp. One of the best out.
Thinking about his new creation. Not sure if it is the same person? https://nitschsound.com/en-ca/products/dsha-3fn

The 3FN is a re-issue of the original 3F with non-rollable amorphous transformers. Nitsch worked with Doug of ECP and it is reputed to be a faithful reproduction of the original circuit. It should be more widely owned/heard since for my money it's one of the best, if not best, semi-production SS amp for dynamic headphones. It's not suitable for planars.

I own 2 because I had one for the office and one for home. Now WFH so I have one in my home office and one at my leisure chair. I'm fully done with amp shuffling since I'm also done with planars. The 3F is to my ears perfect for the HP1000, ES-R10, HD580, and the Atrium. I've also gone crazy and put silver transformers in them for the last mile improvement in holography, timbre, and staging.

Pictured is not 2 3Fs but rather ECPs unknown out of production DAC, the Walnut V, alongside the 3F. If there is anything I collect it's those DACs because he's not making them anymore and there's far fewer of them made in comparison to the 3F.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #57 of 65
The 3FN is a re-issue of the original 3F with non-rollable amorphous transformers. Nitsch worked with Doug of ECP and it is reputed to be a faithful reproduction of the original circuit. It should be more widely owned/heard since for my money it's one of the best, if not best, semi-production SS amp for dynamic headphones. It's not suitable for planars.

I own 2 because I had one for the office and one for home. Now WFH so I have one in my home office and one at my leisure chair. I'm fully done with amp shuffling since I'm also done with planars. The 3F is to my ears perfect for the HP1000, ES-R10, HD580, and the Atrium. I've also gone crazy and put silver transformers in them for the last mile improvement in holography, timbre, and staging.

Pictured is not 2 3Fs but rather ECPs unknown out of production DAC, the Walnut V, alongside the 3F. If there is anything I collect it's those DACs because he's not making them anymore and there's far fewer of them made in comparison to the 3F.
Great stuff. Might have to check out this amplifier.
Your headphones are inline with mine so it should be good.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #58 of 65
A basic question for all the HP1000 aficionados here: Was the entire production run of HP1 units produced before any HP2 units, or was there an overlap period during which Grado was building both the HP1 and HP2 at the same time?

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #59 of 65
A basic question for all the HP1000 aficionados here: Was the entire production run of HP1 units produced before any HP2 units, or was there an overlap period during which Grado was building both the HP1 and HP2 at the same time?
Pretty sure hp1/hp2 and hp3 were produced all at the same time between around 1989-1992. The hp3 were the drivers that were found to be less matched.

In 2003~ when Joe started offering his upgrade service he said that the stock hp-1/hp-2 drivers were identical and that if you were to send in a hp-1 he would dismantle the switches because it could only provide sonic interference.

I at one point owned several hp-1000 and found the hp-1 I had to sound the worst of the bunch, but could have been condition related.
IMG_1217.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #60 of 65
Pretty sure hp1/hp2 and hp3 were produced all at the same time between around 1989-1992. The hp3 were the drivers that were found to be less matched.

In 2003~ when Joe started offering his upgrade service he said that the stock hp-1/hp-2 drivers were identical and that if you were to send in a hp-1 he would dismantle the switches because it could only provide sonic interference.

I at one point owned several hp-1000 and found the hp-1 I had to sound the worst of the bunch, but could have been condition related.

Thanks.

Personally, I have only owned the HP2. Maybe the HP1's polarity switches made sense for professional sound engineers when trying to troubleshoot problems, but in all the years I've been listening to music as a consumer, I can't think of a single instance when I would have used them. (I've owned a couple of DACs that had polarity reversal switches, and never used those either.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back