Grado GS2000e Loaner program
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 216
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in posting the tour roster... there are a number more who signed up and I will add you to the list in the order that the emails came in. I am waiting for some of you to send me your Head-Fi user name so I can post them here. Obviously the number of 6 has been exceeded by many times that amount (I have a large number of requests not listed here and I will tour the headphones so everyone gets a chance to hear them). Here are the first 10 folks who will get to hear the GS2000e! Enjoy and I look forward to your impressions in this forum!

Grado GS2000e loaner program participants

AudioAddict
Wormsdriver
JoeDoe
joeq70
Grizzlybeast
pbui44
Oteil
Daeder
Gunnerwholeife
Kpfeifle

Reddog
Allanmarkus
Ruthieandjohn
Zive
Harry Manback
csdread

Updated list. If you emailed me after this I will contact you when these have had their turn and see if you are still interested.

Todd

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #33 of 216
  Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in posting the tour roster... there are a number more who signed up and I will add you to the list in the order that the emails came in. I am waiting for some of you to send me your Head-Fi user name so I can post them here. Obviously the number of 6 has been exceeded by many times that amount (I have a large number of requests not listed here and I will tour the headphones so everyone gets a chance to hear them). Here are the first 10 folks who will get to hear the GS2000e! Enjoy and I look forward to your impressions in this forum!

Grado GS2000e loaner program participants

AudioAddict
Wormsdriver
JoeDoe
joeq70
Grizzlybeast
pbui44
Oteil
Daeder
Gunnerwholeife
Kpfeifle

Woohoo! Thanks Todd!

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #34 of 216
Congrats to those of you that made the first cut. I look forward to reading your impressions. If anyone has an RS2e to compare it to, I would be very interested in that comparison.

Hopefully, I'll make the list eventually :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #35 of 216
Hi Allanmarkus,

You made the list - I had to wait to post the rest of the names because I did not have complete info from some participants and had to wait to post the complete list...

I am sorry there is only one headphone to go around for this tour. I will try to include those who replied to me after the cutoff.

Just a reminder - it is a pain to have to get more info after the fact and put the info together so please be sure to read the rules and send all of the info requested. Thanks!

Todd

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #39 of 216
INTRODUCTION
Finally did some serious listening of the GS2Ke on my system.  I decided to listen through my main system rather than the Pulse Infinity and Liquid Carbon as the RSA Apache and PWD MKII had much greater synergy with the Grados.  As I mentioned earlier Ray Samuels tweaked my Apache when he was installing the “Revision C”.  He actually tuned it with my HP2.  I used Roon’s latest version to feed the PWD MKII via a WyWires Platinum USB into the ReGEN, which was plug directly into the PWD MKII.  This ran balance into the Apache with the GS2Ke balance.

I changed my playlist when I moved to this system.  Listening note comments I jotted down are below:

Norfolk County Line | Doug MacLeod
Soft passages were distinctly presented with the ability to hear into the emotions being conveyed.  When the female vocalist came in her voice was very natural with defined notes which decayed naturally as she moved onto the next phrase.  The brushes on the snare drum could clearly be recognized with the ability of the GS2Ke to present their textured sound from their unique strike and drag.  You could almost feel the breath going into the Harmonica as its distinct sound came out.  The bass notes were clearly separated with fullness that made you almost feel like you were in the room listening to the original recording.

Different Shades of Blue | Joe Bonamassa
Joe’s guitar runs were very crisp with the ability to hear the individual strings being played.  It really pulled you into listening during those runs.  With the guitar, the notes decayed very naturally with no abrupt ending with the transition to the next run easily defined.  The GS2Ke had the ability to clearly separate the musicians and pull you into the music.  The only thing that seemed to be somewhat missing was a strong depth to the soundstage.  The soundstage was wide left to right but the front to back just wasn’t what I had anticipated.  This was true for most of the tracks I listened to.  Female vocalists were somewhat better but male and the actual instruments were more 2 dimensional.  

Layla | Eric Clayton
Tremendous detail resolution distinguishing the music from the live background noise since this was a LIVE recording.  The GS2Ke allowed you to hear into the music as it was being played.  It was just an overall involving moment so my notes seem to be pretty brief.

Hey Jude |  The Beatles
The GS2Ke allowed you to experience the excellent left to right panning and then coming back to the center.  The cymbals were very clear and distinct with a clear strike and then decay.  The vocals were natural.  Combined everything was just pulling you into the music.  You could almost see where John, Paul and George were standing while Ringo was a little too up front for my tastes.  I suspect George may have felt the same way in this presentation.

Penny Lane | The Beatles
Ringo’s drums were very distinct and crisp.  The Horns had spot on tonality with great extension into the upper treble ranges.

Let It Be | The Beatles
The vocals were just spot on.  Unfortunately Ringo seem to be too close to George again as there just wasn’t the depth to the presentation.  However, the GS2Ke responded instantly to any change in tempo conveying the emotions of the song.  As with other songs, the GS2Ke tracked the panning from left to right.

My Funny Valentine  | Halie Loren
The GS2Ke seemed to take a totally different presentation for this track.  The vocals were just awesome.  There was much more depth and air to the presentation while they retained the soundstage.  The piano was properly placed with each note sounding like a good piano with the right texture to the notes.  The stringed bass presentation was right where I imagined it would be with the notes synchronized with the other instruments.

Stormy Weather | Halie Loren
Halie’s vocals were again fantastic.  Very clear, crisp with so much detail it seemed as if you could almost hear her take that breath between runs.  The GS2Ke responded very fast to any changes in the transients in the music.  The presentation of the instruments from the piano to the bass to the drums was enveloping.  This track and Halie’s other song above were my favorite during this audition of the GS2Ke. 

Little Black Lake | Anne Bisson
Anne’s piano sounded like a piano as she went from soft to loud passages.  The same was true with changes in her vocals.  The presentation was very detailed.  The GS2Ke clearly separated the words in the soft intimate phrasing.  It was clear the GS2Ke clearly can clearly handle any dynamic passages in the music.  However, again as in most other tracks, there was still this nagging feeling the depth of the soundstage wasn’t large enough.

Blue Mind | Anne Bisson
This track’s presentation was very similar to the previous track with natural decaying of the notes, clear and precise piano notes.  The GS2Ke clearly conveyed Anne’s emotion on the track.

CONCLUSION
After spending time with the GS2000e, I must say I am impressed.  I went in expecting a little improvement over the GH-1/G, but what I heard was a substantial step up in performance.  Whether it is worth double the price is a tough decision.  I don’t know at this point if I will purchase or not.  Time will tell.  I haven’t listened to the PS1000e, which are only $300 more. 

I will say with 100% certainty, I would only go with the 4 pin XLR termination.  This is the first Grado to offer that as a standard option.  Thank you Grado Labs for listening.  I only wished that for the XLR termination, the included extension cable was balanced like the GS2Ke termination instead of fully single ended.  That honestly doesn’t make any sense for an XLR terminated pair.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #40 of 216
  CONCLUSION
After spending time with the GS2000e, I must say I am impressed.  I went in expecting a little improvement over the GH-1/G, but what I heard was a substantial step up in performance.  Whether it is worth double the price is a tough decision.  I don’t know at this point if I will purchase or not.  Time will tell.  I haven’t listened to the PS1000e, which are only $300 more. 

I will say with 100% certainty, I would only go with the 4 pin XLR termination.  This is the first Grado to offer that as a standard option.  Thank you Grado Labs for listening.  I only wished that for the XLR termination, the included extension cable was balanced like the GS2Ke termination instead of fully single ended.  That honestly doesn’t make any sense for an XLR terminated pair.

Nice impressions of the GS2Ke. 
smile.gif

And thanks for saying its a substantial step up from the GH1 w/G…that makes it so much easier for me to not want to hear them! 
evil_smiley.gif

So the only thing really holding you back from the purchase is you would like to hear the PS1Ke before deciding on which to purchase? 

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #41 of 216
Nice impressions of the GS2Ke. :smile:
And thanks for saying its a substantial step up from the GH1 w/G…that makes it so much easier for me to not want to hear them! :evil:
So the only thing really holding you back from the purchase is you would like to hear the PS1Ke before deciding on which to purchase? 

I am still torn with the Dharma I auditioned. Also there is some big headphone reveal June 18th. Jude will probably post something before then to increase anticipation. Rumors are pretty strong on substantial improvement. Who knows maybe it is another Grado. :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #42 of 216
I am still torn with the Dharma I auditioned. Also there is some big headphone reveal June 18th. Jude will probably post something before then to increase anticipation. Rumors are pretty strong on substantial improvement. Who knows maybe it is another Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I didn't realize the Dharma was also in the picture.
So as of right now your torn between the GS2Ke/Dharma? 
Can you run the Dharma through a SS/tube amp or does it need an electrostatic amp being it is a hybrid?

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #43 of 216
Oh, I didn't realize the Dharma was also in the picture.
So as of right now your torn between the GS2Ke/Dharma? 
Can you run the Dharma through a SS/tube amp or does it need an electrostatic amp being it is a hybrid?

Dharma does not need an electostatic amp for its tweeter. When I had it Todd included a Cardas Clear cable and I really enjoyed it. I heard it at Axpona with a Kimber Cable and the Gold Questyle mono setup and did not like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back