Grado GS2000e Loaner program
Jun 4, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 216
I have spent several hours today listening to the GS2Ke. The first thing I wanted to determine was a comparison to my GH1/G. Since the single-ended out on the LC is only okay, I switched to using the Burson Audio Lycan with a v5D. I have found this really affordable amp performs 2x to 3x times it price as a result of the v5D.

The GH1/G honestly seemed to be shortchanged when compared to the GS2Ke. While I never noticed this before, they stood out after direct comparison. The best example is a snare drum. On the GH1/G, the snap from the strike of the drum stick had a harsher sound compared to the GS2Ke, which just had a better overall tone. Everything just seemed to follow this. The natural presentation and decaying of the notes just enveloped the music drawing you more into the music. The extension of the bass, mids and highs across the spectrum were more refined.

Overall, I would say the GH1/G were maybe 75%-80% of the GS2Ke. At less than 50% of the GS2Ke, they still have to be classified as a bargain.

Next I turned to focusing on the difference between the single ended performance and balanced. This was much harder as I switched to the LC which has a different sonic signature. However, what I heard was an expansion of the soundstage. The music presentation was much wider but the depth was only slightly increased. The notes did have better decay on the LC. Overall a would say the improvement over single-end, while noticeable, was in the 10%-15% range. Nowhere close to the improvement over the GH1/G.

For now, I am going to just listen balanced.

PS
I think the cabling on the GS2Ke is even fatter than the GH1. I have not read anything suggesting that but holding both in hand,they don't feel the same.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 216
  The loaner pair is terminated with the 4 pin XLR.  Included is an adapter to the standard 1/4 inch plug.  Also included is a standard 1/4 inch extension cable from the same Grado wire used on the headphones. 

Congratulations on making the loaner program.
Is Grado using the same material with the new balanced cable?
Also, I can't wait to hear your impressions between the GS2Ke balanced/SE.
I'm waiting for an mk2 to arrive so I'll have a fully balanced system and I'm also going to balance my PS1K  to start…and of course for harder to drive HP's. So I'm real interested in the differences you hear between the two outputs.
Enjoy!

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #27 of 216
Congratulations on making the loaner program.
Is Grado using the same material with the new balanced cable?
Also, I can't wait to hear your impressions between the GS2Ke balanced/SE.
I'm waiting for an mk2 to arrive so I'll have a fully balanced system and I'm also going to balance my PS1K  to start…and of course for harder to drive HP's. So I'm real interested in the differences you hear between the two outputs.
Enjoy!

Your questions made me decide to try the GS2Ke on my main system. It uses the PWD MKII as the source running balanced into a RSA Apache with 4 Burson Audio v5S. In fact, its sonics optimized by Ray for my Grado HP2. Definitely a much more resolving and involving system. The GS2Ke scaled really well in this system.

The Apache has a much better single-ended output. The other comparison was between 2 different amps, now it is the same. In this system, while it is still noticeable, it isn't at the level I originally perceived. I would say it is now more in the 5%-7% range.

As noted, the Grado cable is a 12 wire instead of the 8 used on the GH1. I suspect this helps but it makes the cable fatter, otherwise it has very similar physical characteristics.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #29 of 216
Jun 5, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #30 of 216
Your questions made me decide to try the GS2Ke on my main system. It uses the PWD MKII as the source running balanced into a RSA Apache with 4 Burson Audio v5S. In fact, its sonics optimized by Ray for my Grado HP2. Definitely a much more resolving and involving system. The GS2Ke scaled really well in this system.

The Apache has a much better single-ended output. The other comparison was between 2 different amps, now it is the same. In this system, while it is still noticeable, it isn't at the level I originally perceived. I would say it is now more in the 5%-7% range.

As noted, the Grado cable is a 12 wire instead of the 8 used on the GH1. I suspect this helps but it makes the cable fatter, otherwise it has very similar physical characteristics.

I also have the PWD-ll/Bridge-ll (JRiver MC21) and I'm waiting for shipment on the GS-Xmk2, and I'll be running fully balanced, so I'm glad to hear you heard a 5+% increase which is fine by me, because thats the way Audio SQ usually increases…a little at a time.
Thanks for your input of the SQ balanced and information on the GS2Ke balanced cable which is what Grado is going to use on my PS1K.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back