Grado GS1000 GS-1000 GS1 GS1K [ Official Customer Satisfaction/ Appreciation Thread ]
Jan 30, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #121 of 189
I like all the appreciation the GS1Ke's are getting over here.  I had a chance to hear a pair and I'm thinking about them.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the "L" cush pads on them?  I know it sounds like going backwards but I also wonder if they'd keep their sound signature and sound like super-RS1(is/e)s...

Dont think about it. Just do it. A word of warning though.... If you have a Fonzi complex, then Grado headphone are not for you. If you have a Fonzi-Audiophile complex, you have a major delema on your hands. In no way shape or form does Grados scream coolness. Grados only scream performance.

When it comes to the GS1000e headphones, there is no "thinking" about purchasing them. Just do it. The same goes for the PS1000e.
The GS1000e does have the same sound signature as the RS1i. It just does everything better.

Good luck on your decission.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #122 of 189
I just had my first listen to a GS1000e, I have to say that the soundstage and detail far surpasses other models maybe besides the PS1000 that I didn't get a chance to listen to. It might just be that I much prefer the G pads over the L or the ones on the SR60e that I have.

If you are deciding thetween the GS1000e vs. the PS1000(e), they have different sound signatures. Both are worth owning. If it comes down to one or the other, I would say to audition them both before deciding.

If you were contemplating on the Sennhiser HD800 vs. the PS1000e, I can easily say that although both are winner headphones, I would go with the PS1000e hands down.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #123 of 189
I think the biggest thing about the GS1K is how awesome they are at low volume. Bigger soundstage, excellent detail: they are my favorite Grado's that I've heard so far.

GS1000i's for me, together with my ALO Island, are absolutely end game.

I do like to listen at low levels.....nonetheless I get the whole experience

- absolutely state of the art sound for me. 

Listening to the first four tracks of McCartney's Tug of War album
(or any other music I have great fondness for) gives me the type of experience
Chord Mojo users often report - effortless detail, soundstage, tonality but perhaps the most important
thing to me is how well all of the qualities are balanced -  giving me an utterly natural /effortlessly musical experience 

Like listening to full size, high end Quad electrostatic speakers
backed by an excellent system

(by comparison my SR325e's are more like an excellent pair of mid-priceed but excellent bookshelf speakers).

...YMMV as always folks

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #124 of 189
My journey into Gradoland started with snagging a GS1000i, the sound is truly spectacular. I have recently coming out by admitting I'm something of a treblehead, the GS1000i has nice treble energy.....in spades! But the one thing that stood out about the GS1000i, for me anyway, is how good the bass sound. It has the speed and attack that I find lacking in other cans.....even high end ones. I have the PS1000 as well, its bass is nowhere close in terms of quality compared to the GS1000i, though the former has great bass, it is thick (?) and lack the speed of the GS1000i bass. Besides, the PS1000 sounds a tad dark compared to the sparkly GS1000i. Both of these badboys are keepers for me....

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #125 of 189
I started with SR125e and then moved on the RS1i, the most recently I got a used pair of GS1000i. The wider soundstage did it for me as I listen to classical mostly. I love how the GS sounds paired with ALO Continental V3 and Meier Quickstep. 

I tried a PS1000 before and I find the bass extends deeper. However the GS is so much more comfortable and light!

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #126 of 189
If you are deciding thetween the GS1000e vs. the PS1000(e), they have different sound signatures. Both are worth owning. If it comes down to one or the other, I would say to audition them both before deciding.

If you were contemplating on the Sennhiser HD800 vs. the PS1000e, I can easily say that although both are winner headphones, I would go with the PS1000e hands down.

Why does it say ''PS1000e Signature Edition'' in your sig?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #127 of 189
Trade secrets my friend. 
rolleyes.gif

Because my PS1000e came with the Black Dragon Cable.  The cable also allows to be switched from balanced to unbalanced cable.

I have yet to use my headphones in balanced mode.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #128 of 189
  Trade secrets my friend. 
rolleyes.gif

Because my PS1000e came with the Black Dragon Cable.  The cable also allows to be switched from balanced to unbalanced cable.

I have yet to use my headphones in balanced mode.

Just out of curiosity, did you consider calling them ''Special Edition'', instead of ''Signature Edition'',?
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #129 of 189

Just out of curiosity, did you consider calling them ''Special Edition'', instead of ''Signature Edition'',?
confused.gif

Because the mods were made by Moon Audio (or any other reputable establishment that modifies audio equipment that I own), I call them Signature Edition.

If the modifications are made by me, in which I use high-end components to replace the component in question, I call them either Special Edition or Signature Edition.  I don't have any set rules on which I call it when I perform modifications on my own audio equipment.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #130 of 189
*ahem* so then, getting back on topic

Is there a term in hifi, for when a pair of headphones grab you by the scruff of your neck, and rubs your nose forcibly into what you are listening?

Its not soundstage, or maybe its something like soundstage, but whenever I go back to my gs1000e's (and even more so after a brief hiatus), its like..

Well Im in the middle of it all, and the music is like a wet rag and its being rubbed into my face. In my eyes, in my nose and down my throat. Hard. All around. And I am loving it cos Im a thirsty bitch hahaha!

Not quite sure if this is signature or special to be honest. It definately feels like a happy ending though!!

Yes Ive been drinking.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #132 of 189
Ambience may also be the word you want to add when describing open back headphones like the Grado GS1000e and the PS1000e.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #133 of 189
Thanks, ambience to me suggests liveliness - which gs1000e certainly has lots of!

But I think the term I was searching for last night has more to do with positioning. I always feel that the statement series has me right in the centre of my music. It feels very dynamic, very close, and enveloping. "In my face" is about the best I can come up with.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #134 of 189
Just bought a pair of GS1000e home today. I think in my almost 10 years in this hobby I have finally found the headphone that just seems to hit all the right buttons for me. I've owned and auditioned a whole gamut of headphones (HD800, HE560, LCD2, T1, HE1000X..etc) but have never really been entirely satisfied with any of them. These come pretty damn close. I've owned a few Grado's in the past but wrote them off after a few months due to sibilance and comfort issues and never thought of coming back to them. I can honestly see myself being content with these for a long time!

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #135 of 189

Welcome to the league of happy GS1000x owners. I feel the same way about my GS1000i -
end-game for me. I do find that the GS1000i's like a small amount of eq in the mids -
I've posted about this earlier.

I've heard the GS1000e's for about an hour, and they sounded very close, I could live happily with either.
The GS1000e may be different in their liking mid eq; they may not need it (haven't listened enough to be sure).

Qualities:

Amazing detail together with natural, addictive smoothness throught the entire spectrum.
Effortless, natural, full-size soundstage, depth and imaging
Amazing coherence - lesser headphones - including the SR325e's -
sound like the mids/highs and the bass are coming from different drivers
(the 325e have very nice imaging/soundstage in the mid/highs but in the bass,
while the weight/impact and tonality is excellent, the bass imaging isn't as great
as the rest of the spectrum - still a fantastic headphone and a budget alternative to the GS1000 IMHO)

the GS1000i's is as effortless, naturall, life-like and addictive as high end electrostatic speakers (think modern Quads)

above all, the GS1000i (lightly eq'd) just sound so RIGHT
in every way, plus they are so light and comfortable.

My vote for Best of Grado!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back