Grado Fan Club!
Aug 2, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #61,906 of 65,858
The RS-1 “wooden button” is the best of the Reference Series - past or present. Their balance, clarity, dynamics, imaging, soundstage are unsurpassed. The only Grado that ‘betters’ the RS-1, in my opinion, is the (discontinued) PS2000e.

So you're saying all we have to do is glue that button on any Grado we want and it will be successful? :D

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #61,909 of 65,858
Probably. I think I might remember that. Sometimes the originals do it right. Like some of the older aad compact discs sound much better than some of the bright and brittle remasters of the same recording. In some ways it makes total sense why most hifi has slowly took a turn for the worse and stop turning out products you can live with long than give a good first impression.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #61,910 of 65,858
And by what I mean about making total sense is they leave a feature missing that costs little to nothing to the manufacturer you are going to want to upgrade. By the time you reach the top though you are bound to switch brands and do it all over again. You keep pumping in the money and they keep pumping out the products. Anti consumer pro market strategy. Not talking about Grado specifically the only one that does this but i think a lot of people buy headphones for other needs not mentioned on this forum just like how people like collecting pewter statues or stamps or art.. it’s about owning something made with something special, not so much the massive sound upgrade always but just for the pride of ownership. That’s all in us.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #61,911 of 65,858
So you're saying all we have to do is glue that button on any Grado we want and it will be successful? :D
Keep it up, gimme! … I’ll kick your button🤣

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #61,912 of 65,858
Yes I've seen that. But you don't know if they really mean certain things or if it's marketing schtick. They say "The GS3000x is our best sounding headphone to date." Not quite yet sure if I agree, we'll see.

One of our favourite woods to work with, not THE favourite.
It is unlikely that Grado would say that a particular wood is the favourite to work with. Wood samples vary in colour, density, grain, irregularities …. in chatoyance.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #61,913 of 65,858
Speaking of wood, even the RA-1 benefits from a regular treatment of Howard’s Feed N’ Wax:
69A9D287-1AC8-46FC-B1AA-12AFB7916A40.jpeg
🥲😎

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #61,914 of 65,858
I’ve been burned multiple times on eBay even by people with good feedback
One should inquire about source of feedback on EBay. Is the feedback from a bona fide buyer or from an affiliate / associate / relative of the seller? 🤔😳😒🖕….

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #61,915 of 65,858
If you can, try the official grado g cushs. They are silly expensive, but unbeatable.

They sound much better than the geekrias on my rs2e's
So I took the advice from jsk ksj: and picked up a pair of official Grado G-cush pads from Crutchfield ($50 with free shipping). I must say I do agree, soundstage is even better now and the bass might not be as thick now but quality is noticeably better. The geekria version now heads to storage for backup duties as they are good for the price but its not the same as the Grado's IMHO. Thanks jsk ksj:

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #61,916 of 65,858
So I took the advice from jsk ksj: and picked up a pair of official Grado G-cush pads from Crutchfield ($50 with free shipping). I must say I do agree, soundstage is even better now and the bass might not be as thick now but quality is noticeably better. The geekria version now heads to storage for backup duties as they are good for the price but its not the same as the Grado's IMHO. Thanks jsk ksj:
Not many aftermarket pads can do what the original grado pads do. Aftermarket pads often sacrifice a bit of sound quality for comfort.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #61,917 of 65,858
It’s a Gradithon …
E9FFF2AF-8D04-4222-9BC8-6CD7149EBF10.jpeg
👂😀👂… quite the ‘fight card’ … no TKO by one over the other … trophies for both !!

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #61,920 of 65,858
The RS-1 “wooden button” is the best of the Reference Series - past or present. Their balance, clarity, dynamics, imaging, soundstage are unsurpassed. The only Grado that ‘betters’ the RS-1, in my opinion, is the (discontinued) PS2000e.
I see a distinct agreement on my part regarding the above statement. Tally Ho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back