Grado Fan Club!
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #61,606 of 65,858
So what are U Tu Be :dt880smile:

Well, that highly depends on the colour pill that I take before listening :)
blue or red pill choice.gif

In case of the blue pill: WOW, this must be the only existing Dynaudio (known for their high segment speakers) tube amp in the world and they probably invested millions of dollars in this unicorn prototype to make sure that it has the best components inside and tubes that must have been imported from another galaxy. How else could it sound this mindblowing good?

In case of the red pill: Wake up, time for a reality check! Somebody clearly took the effort to remove all information on the back and front of this (not that expensive after all) amp. Painted the front panel black and assembled a fake Dynaudio plate on top, to make it look more expensive. Mr. T probably pities the fool who would buy that amp. Oh wait... I guess that was me :unamused:

Anyhow, although I clearly got scammed at a certain degree, I still do enjoy the synergy of this amp with my current headphones. It does not deliver the best resolution and transparency, but it has quite an analogue (slightly warm, which I like) signature with impressive (sub)lows and a huge holographic soundstage. Oh, and it gets freakin' hot after an hour or so. So I might better check that 'burn the house down' part in my insurance papers again one of these days :sweat_smile:

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #61,607 of 65,858
Howdy everyone,
I just noticed an ad in the Desktop Amp Classified section that anyone here looking for an inexpensive but very good quality amp to run their Grados needs to check out.

There is a MUSICAL FIDELITY M1HP1A headphone amp for something like $250 or possible trade. When this was current it got good notice and retail was $895.

It is an excellent match sonically with Grados. I know as I used to own the same piece for a number of years and tried it with all but my newest Grados. The amp also happens to be powerful which comes in handy for most of the high impedance low sensitivity phones. Lastly it has preamp out, a handy plus.

If I had not owned one for several years I might have passed this by without a thought.

Well, I meant this to be a short heads up but sometimes I can’t avoid adding some last moment factoid.

**The seller also has great feedback.**

I hope this might be a fit someone’s needs, it is a really great deal.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.png
    IMG_8492.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8491.png
    IMG_8491.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #61,608 of 65,858
Just want to add something to the thread, in the endless search for pad rolling alternatives I came across these from China. They are cheap, comfy and amazingly don’t change the sonic character to the original G-cush that I can tell. Maybe they slightly smooth out the highs but that’s it, they’re almost identical sounding to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354613913619?hash=item5290a2e813:g:sH4AAOSwW-Zj~GPN

Edit: so just a bit more time spent listening, definitely sound 90% close. They tone the highs down and bring the lows up but just slightly, not a major sacrifice of the best qualities of Grado though like a lot of other pads I’ve tried which makes things overly hollow sounding or completely kill the treble.

Attachments

• IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #61,609 of 65,858
Enjoying A&K sr35 (streaming ROON), Cayin C9 as power amp (tubes, class A) and GH1 (such a great headphone).

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #61,610 of 65,858
Just want to add something to the thread, in the endless search for pad rolling alternatives I came across these from China. They are cheap, comfy and amazingly don’t change the sonic character to the original G-cush that I can tell. Maybe they slightly smooth out the highs but that’s it, they’re almost identical sounding to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354613913619?hash=item5290a2e813:g:sH4AAOSwW-Zj~GPN

Edit: so just a bit more time spent listening, definitely sound 90% close. They tone the highs down and bring the lows up but just slightly, not a major sacrifice of the best qualities of Grado though like a lot of other pads I’ve tried which makes things overly hollow sounding or completely kill the treble.
Unfortunately, like a lot of people here, 90% is nowhere near close enough.

Like many, the money I have spent trying to find cheaper alternatives to the (stupidly expensive) grado G cush's, I might as well as just coughed up the money in the first place.

My grado pad "drawer of shame" overfloweth!

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #61,611 of 65,858
My grado pad "drawer of shame" overfloweth!

Same here. Some third party pads sound ok or even good but if I switch back to the original pads I notice what you have been missing. In most cases the nice Grado treble magic is gone with non-original pads.

Getting a Mojo 2 solved those problems for me, i keep the original pads on and adjust the sound slightly with the lossless EQ of the Mojo 2. Usually there's only 2-3 (of 10) notches of treble or bass missing to make the respective Grado sound awesome.

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #61,613 of 65,858
If you really like the RS2e for its speed/attack and listen to a lot of modern jazz, would you go for a RS2x/RS1x or would you just keep the RS2e? The newer models appear to have less distortion, but maybe that's there the RS2e magic happens.
I'm not sure that distortion = magic, but I can say that the rs2e is magnificent with jazz (and many other genres)

The only x-series I have owned was the 325x, very bassy / very un-grado. Sold it after 2 weeks.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #61,614 of 65,858
I'm not sure that distortion = magic, but I can say that the rs2e is magnificent with jazz (and many other genres)

The only x-series I have owned was the 325x, very bassy / very un-grado. Sold it after 2 weeks.
I agree 100%, I have not heard any of the X series, but I can say the RS2e is awesome for jazz also.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #61,615 of 65,858
Hi, I ve bought an old sr60 for about 50€, I haven't listened a grado for several years but for sure these are more light and comfy than sr80i and hf2 that I had

IMG_20230712_183127.jpg

Also boxed and in very good condition.
The sound is much better in new series X?

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #61,616 of 65,858
00453AF9-DDF1-4B71-8027-E894D5A70CE2.jpeg

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #61,617 of 65,858
The zipper on the third from the bottom Grado case is slightly askew and not totally in line with the other red zippers.

We will let this go as a warning since it is your first infraction.
Please be aware that this is a serious issue. Many members are quite addicted and do not handle sudden changes well.

Try to remain focused, I am confident that you can do better.

This official warning will not be put into your dossier at this time.

** Should you persist in this flagrant disregard there will as yet unnamed ramifications that I assure you is not something you want to go through.**

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #61,618 of 65,858
To state the obvious!! (just in case😂🙄): there is a Grado headphone in each … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #61,620 of 65,858
Your inventory is greater than a lot of dealers.
Thank you - and I listen via all of them. Each may not be perfect, some are close, but each is surely special 😍 !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back