Grado Fan Club!
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #12,123 of 66,068
White! 3-4 inches I think. Luckily not too much ice.

Good thing the RS1/LD1 and Stevie wonder is keeping me warm!

we got about 2 and counting, we got some ice to start, gs/mad has the duty tonight !

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,124 of 66,068
I'd love to feel bad for y'all but it's currently - 4F here, so I don't :)
I hope it warms up down there soon, I have some work in Houston and disappointment will be mine if it's not at least warm-ish

My wife took the kids to her sisters for a few days holiday, so the rs1's are sitting on the stand while I take the rare chance to enjoy my hi-fi!

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #12,125 of 66,068
I'd love to feel bad for y'all but it's currently - 4F here, so I don't
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope it warms up down there soon, I have some work in Houston and disappointment will be mine if it's not at least warm-ish

My wife took the kids to her sisters for a few days holiday, so the rs1's are sitting on the stand while I take the rare chance to enjoy my hi-fi!

nice !, stay warm, and yes, we are whimps to the cold winter weather !

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #12,127 of 66,068
I should have realized this earlier, but I have to ask to be sure p, jaywillin'... You must be a little feat fan?

i've been known to dig "the feat" !!

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #12,128 of 66,068
I'd love to feel bad for y'all but it's currently - 4F here, so I don't
smily_headphones1.gif

Mid to high 70s.  
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #12,129 of 66,068
You know headphones and headphone listening is a strange thing. I was listening to an album last night on my 325is and all of a sudden a track comes on and my jaw just dropped, it absolutely sounded like she was 4ft away from me singing right to my face. It was so real sounding it was scary. After the song ended I went back and listened to it with several other headphones, and ONLY the 325is were able to produce that effect. That is just so weird. If I could figure out what the 325 can do that those other headphones can not do I'd be a millionaire.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #12,130 of 66,068
  You know headphones and headphone listening is a strange thing. I was listening to an album last night on my 325is and all of a sudden a track comes on and my jaw just dropped, it absolutely sounded like she was 4ft away from me singing right to my face. It was so real sounding it was scary. After the song ended I went back and listened to it with several other headphones, and ONLY the 325is were able to produce that effect. That is just so weird. If I could figure out what the 325 can do that those other headphones can not do I'd be a millionaire.

I understand Washington state is legal, right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #12,131 of 66,068

I will tell you exactly what it is, as I've pondered the same ever since I heard my first pair of 225's.

Grados are the only cans I've ever heard that seem like they are designed to make you forget you're wearing headphones. Everything else I've ever listen to has some sort of coloration in a way that sounds unnatural or reminds me that it's been digitally enhanced through bass boost or treble peak. My RS1s are a perfect example. First cans out of 50 or 60 that to me sound exactly like sitting in a jazz club. Positioning, timbre, separation, balance. It's all there.

Are Grados the most comfortable? No. Most aesthetically pleasing? No. Although the RS1s are damn sexy. But they do one thing really well which is to me, exactly what all headphone manufacturers should strive for: Reproducing real musical experience.

I tweeted this idea at Grado headphones a few days ago and they responded by telling me this is one of the highest compliments they could ever be paid.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #12,134 of 66,068
Dig the Feat Jay. Your timing is impeccable as usual. Good to find your music now that the other thread just disappeared. Keep it coming. Thanks

i think we ought to talk about  and share our musical taste here more, the gear is great, but its a means to the music !

shared this with whirlwind the other day, its KILLER !!

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #12,135 of 66,068
awesome point Jay...i listen to nearly everything, with a very overkill music collection.  i have some of the basics in blues and jam music but it's not my favorite so my collection there isn't very fleshed out, i try and listen to every single rec in all the threads i frequent and i've found a lot of great stuff! 
i'm more of a metal/post rock/grunge/etc (as far as my grados go!  i have a large EDM/hip hop collection as well but my HE400's get the bulk of that).  i'm getting more into country but seems i only have a taste for the older / outlaw style stuff

right now i'm listening to Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay 
a well recorded drone/doom metal album with heavy overtones of post rock and even country!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back