Grado Fan Club!
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #11,386 of 65,788
  Not those girls again! They weren't at the last meet I went to.
happy_face1.gif

wasn't there a D.C. meet this weekend mark ??

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #11,388 of 65,788

I believe there's a meet in Northern VA on 1/18.

that must be what i was thinking about
i'd love to be able to go to a meet someday

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #11,389 of 65,788

oh i already bought them, used , from a head fi'er, i got them before he ever put an add up !
the HE-5LE's i haven't bought, they are the one's i got in a swap from swspiers, he's got my rs1i's.
i do like the gs's, i'm very happy with them

Oh, I didn't realize, I thought you swapped for these also.
When you get the RS's back are you going to sell one off, or keep both the GS and RS?

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #11,390 of 65,788
  Oh, I didn't realize, I thought you swapped for these also.
When you get the RS's back are you going to sell one off, or keep both the GS and RS?

that's the $64,000 question ! lol
it all depends on what happens with the HE-5LE and the rs1i, it looks like i'm liking the 5LE more than swspiers is liking the rs1i
i wouldn't think i'd keep both the rs1, and gs1000, just kinda up in the air now

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #11,392 of 65,788
two ortho's, two grado's , that has a nice ring to it i think

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #11,393 of 65,788
  well thanks to head-fi i found a great set of RS1i at a great price (thanks dgcrane), they should arrive here in 3-4 days so i'm pretty excited.  i hope they are what i want, meaning a more refined SR80

even if i love the RS1 i won't sell my 80's, those will probably follow me around forever.  probably no more grado upgrade path for me unless i can't stand the RS1 and then i'll try one of the other ones, but next on my upgrade list is a tube amp and some LCD-X...probably in 2 years when i can justify that $$$

Congrats, you are going to be a very happy man
smile.gif

Well guys I attended the Seattle Head-Fi meet and finally got to hear some RS1i's after all this time. Here is what I think, and this should probably come as no surprise to any of you, I need to sell both of the Grados I have now (325i and 225i) and buy an RS1i. It does everything both of those phones do and does it better. It wasn't my favorite phone from the meet, but I know that there will be times no matter what, when I am going to be needing a Grado fix and for those times, I am going to have to have 1 with me so why not consolidate everything that is Grado, into one phone. So my advice to anybody who is really really sure they like the Grado sound and comfort (which has never been an issue for me) is avoid all the upgrading and just get an Rs1i and be done with it. If anyone is interested in my impressions of the other phones I heard there I'd be happy to post, but as this is the Grado topic I thought I'd keep it restricted to just Grado. For what it is worth, nobody brought any other Grados, I was hoping to hear some PS500 or 1000, maybe even a GS1000i but none of that happened. Maybe next time.

Sounds like a great plan, I eventually got rid of my 325i also, after getting my RS1i....I kept it for awhile, but it never got any head time, so I finally sold it and stashed the money for a future amp purchase.

As of right now, it is very hard for me to unplug my RS1i from my MAD EAR and plug in another headphone.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #11,394 of 65,788
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #11,395 of 65,788

that must be what i was thinking about
i'd love to be able to go to a meet someday

Yes, there is at the end January....I'll look for them
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #11,396 of 65,788
So, due to a faulty headphone output on my Macbook, I found myself in need of a USB audio solution. I decided to pick up the Dragon based on the portability and rave reviews ( not to mention the huge price drop from $250 down to $99 ) to power my PS500s.

Full disclosure, I don't have any interest in diving too deep into the world of amps and DACs at this point. In fact, one of the reasons I've always loved Grados is their ability to sound great out of just about anything. With that said, I'm pretty psyched about the Dragonfly. The first thing available when I plugged the Dragonfly in was Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine via Spotify Premium - a good but not exceptional source...Whoa. The bass line, the drums, I don't remember this sounding like this. 

With Grados especially, I remain a firm believer that headphones make the biggest difference ( after source). But, maybe there is something to all of these DACs and amps you guys are always talking about. 

The only downside is that for the same hundred bucks the amp that really piqued my curiosity would have been the Schiit Vali, but the real driving force here was the need for portability and USB connectivity, so the Dragonfly fit the bill perfectly. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #11,397 of 65,788
Yeah, Grados do not need an amp.....but you will definitely get the most out of your headphones if you do amp them.

You will get more of what their full potential is.

In your case, the PS500 is a very nice set of headphones, so why not let them shine to their potential.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the combo.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #11,400 of 65,788
how has no one bought this yet?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-600-Ohm-Headphone-Amplifier-for-Sennheiser-HD-580-650-AKG-K240-Beyer-DT-990-/331100238783?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item4d171cb3bf#ht_984wt_1082

i want it to come in different colors !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back