Grado Fan Club!
Dec 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #11,191 of 65,841
A sound card usually has a DAC on it. But they also can have amps, DSP, digital in out, etc etc. depends on the type, level, and brand of card.  There are lots of feature rich cards and stripped down cards to choose from.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #11,193 of 65,841
This might help a little:

A typical sound card has: 
a digital signal processor (DSP) that handles most computations
a digital to analog converter (DAC) for audio leaving the computer
an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) for audio coming into the computer
read-only memory (ROM) or Flash memory for storing data
musical instrument digital interface (MIDI) for connecting to external music
      equipment (for many cards, the game port is also used to connect an external MIDI adapter)
jacks for connecting speakers and microphones, as well as line in and line out
on older ones a game port for connecting a joystick or gamepad

WAAAY back in the day I had a friend that wrote some of the first sound blaster drivers, I was his guinea pig to test them out on my PC that we built for me to use in College.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #11,194 of 65,841
  This might help a little:

A typical sound card has: 
a digital signal processor (DSP) that handles most computations
a digital to analog converter (DAC) for audio leaving the computer
an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) for audio coming into the computer
read-only memory (ROM) or Flash memory for storing data
musical instrument digital interface (MIDI) for connecting to external music
      equipment (for many cards, the game port is also used to connect an external MIDI adapter)
jacks for connecting speakers and microphones, as well as line in and line out
on older ones a game port for connecting a joystick or gamepad

WAAAY back in the day I had a friend that wrote some of the first sound blaster drivers, I was his guinea pig to test them out on my PC that we built for me to use in College.

Thanks for the detailed illustration and explanation on how this works.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #11,195 of 65,841
  My LD1+ came with a 1/8 or 3.5mm terminated end to L/R RCA jacks. Didn't yours? 

Didn't get it in time for christmas so i'm not sure yet :frowning2:
Although it's now in the country as of this fine christmas morning :) so hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days and I can try it out!

Also, I was going to make some custom cable for custom length, as well as wanting to keep myself busy whilst i'm off uni :)

EDIT: MERRY CHRISTMAS 
gs1000.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #11,196 of 65,841
Not to rub it in your face but dang it's nice to have a proper amp again...boy this LD1+ makes the Bushmills SIIIIINGGGGG!!!!!

Thanks joseph69 for the hookup on the amp!

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #11,197 of 65,841

Didn't get it in time for christmas so i'm not sure yet :frowning2:
Although it's now in the country as of this fine christmas morning :) so hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days and I can try it out!

Also, I was going to make some custom cable for custom length, as well as wanting to keep myself busy whilst i'm off uni :)

EDIT: MERRY CHRISTMAS 
gs1000.gif

Your LD1+ will come with the cable you need to plug into your sound card.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Not to rub it in your face but dang it's nice to have a proper amp again...boy this LD1+ makes the Bushmills SIIIIINGGGGG!!!!!

Thanks joseph69 for the hookup on the amp!

Your welcome, enjoy it.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #11,199 of 65,841
Well I got my 325is's today and there's no good news... the right side driver doesn't work, and the rod keeps twisting out of the gimbal.  There's very little silver lettering left, and one of the plastic rings is very lopsided :frowning2:

Gimbal twisting out? Welcome to the club. Happened to my 225is, 325is and rs2is multiple times. Finally had the shop glue them in. The build quality is soooo bad. But the sound is worth it.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,200 of 65,841
So the LD1+ I got from jay was put up so it could be gifted for Xmas. Let's just say that I've had my 225s one my head for about an hour all ready and haven't even checked out the flatscreen we got for dad. 

The OPA2107 and Telefunkens ain't no joke!

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11,201 of 65,841
Gimbal twisting out? Welcome to the club. Happened to my 225is, 325is and rs2is multiple times. Finally had the shop glue them in. The build quality is soooo bad. But the sound is worth it.

Most just use a dab of super-glue and move on...
Also, Grado will send you a new gimbal/rod blocks for free so you don't have to have the "shop glue them in" for you.
I have 25+ year old Grados still going strong so I can't fault the build quality.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11,202 of 65,841
Most just use a dab of super-glue and move on...
Also, Grado will send you a new gimbal/rod blocks for free so you don't have to have the "shop glue them in" for you.
I have 25+ year old Grados still going strong so I can't fault the build quality.

Yea they are really good about sending out replacement gimbals. Every time they slipped out, they would send me new ones. But I love grados. I'm on my third pair.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #11,203 of 65,841
  So the LD1+ I got from jay was put up so it could be gifted for Xmas. Let's just say that I've had my 225s one my head for about an hour all ready and haven't even checked out the flatscreen we got for dad. 

The OPA2107 and Telefunkens ain't no joke!

i kinda stopped buying tubes after i got those babies !!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #11,204 of 65,841

i kinda stopped buying tubes after i got those babies !!!

I certainly can see why! 

The only ones I've been curious to try are the Voskhods that are raved about in the tube rolling thread. Picked up a NOS pair from audiofanboy across the pond. Should be here next week sometime.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #11,205 of 65,841
  I certainly can see why! 

The only ones I've been curious to try are the Voskhods that are raved about in the tube rolling thread. Picked up a NOS pair from audiofanboy across the pond. Should be here next week sometime.

AF know's his tubes ! ,  i never get around to the voskhods for the little dot, i did get some voskhods  for the lyr, '77s,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back