Grado Fan Club!
Jul 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,631 of 65,586
Quote:
OK Grado fans, help me out.  I've had some 125s for a year or two now and really like them.  So of course I'm starting to get curious about the rest of the line.  Should I go with the 225s or 325s?  My budget maxes out at around $300.

Stuff I like- vocals, soundstage, detail, clarity.  Bass is also nice.

Thanks.

I dont think the 225's or 325's are going to offer that big a difference from where you are now. An RS1, RS2, PS500, or HF2 are what you want to consider if you are looking for something different IMO.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3,632 of 65,586
Quote:
OK Grado fans, help me out.  I've had some 125s for a year or two now and really like them.  So of course I'm starting to get curious about the rest of the line.  Should I go with the 225s or 325s?  My budget maxes out at around $300.

Stuff I like- vocals, soundstage, detail, clarity.  Bass is also nice.

Thanks.

Well... I'd agree... you may just want to save up and get the PS500's (my favorite), or RS-1's... IF... you can wait that long.

If not... then... I prefer the SR225's - which sound very much like the RS-1's.  They have a richer sound than the SR125's - with stronger bass and mellower highs.  The SR325's have great bass, and great detail, but can be strident - though, I must admit I didn't have them long enough to burn them in properly, or try the tape mod on them, which might have tamed them enough to enjoy.  I'd probably be tempted to get the Grado / Alessandro MS-2's (SR325's with a bit mellower sound)... IF... I was going to try the SR325's.  

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,633 of 65,586
Yeah I saw the post. Thanks! I love the idea of a full alum headphone. (I recently did a mod on some HE-6's and was horribly disheartened to find they are made of plastic). So it's the main reason I like the Sr325's since it's the cheapest full (partial) metal headphone with great sound. [I would get some alum sleeves to make it full] Anyone think that if I put a foam cover on the driver face it will tame the highs a little bit (with a little detail lost I'm sure) [given that I don't like them]. I just want to avoid piercing treble, and just to clarify, I'm not a bass head. I'm not like "BASSSSS TROLOLOLLLOLOL". The Se215's are too bassy for me and can give me a headache. I also already have BassBoost on my cMoy BB, so that gives me options.

I love clarity, just not needles.

The 325s are the brightest Grados I've ever heard, and I wouldn't suggest them if you dislike bright cans. The 225 is a better choice, especially for the price. And I wouldn't worry too much what the headphone is actually made out of, unless you have an unlimited budget. :xf_eek: Anyways, the 225 are lighter, and imho more comfy than the 325 as a result - so if anything I prefer plastics. :)

In terms of bass, I'm not sure what to tell you - the 225 are tighter/more refined than the 60, and the 325 (imho) are just gobs of treble on top of that. FWIR the MS-Pro and PS-1 are supposed to be good for low extension and impact, but I have no idea if this is true or not (and I'm not buying either of them to find out).

Regarding putting comfies on the 325s; I tried it on the 225 and it was not for the better. It muddles up the mids/highs, drops the top-end, and makes them generally less awesome. I would not think it would be an improvement for the 325. It might kill the highs, but it's got an equally good chance of killing the midrange. If you have the 60s at home though, you could try it out and see what you get. Do realize that adding fabric/foam/felt/etc in front of a driver is the same idea as the Sony Acoustic Bass Lens - and that if you do it "right" (or "wrong" depending on what you want) you'll increase bass response pretty substantially (this is the premise of the Germania Mod for the ESW9 too).

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3,634 of 65,586
Quote:
The 325s are the brightest Grados I've ever heard, and I wouldn't suggest them if you dislike bright cans. The 225 is a better choice, especially for the price. And I wouldn't worry too much what the headphone is actually made out of, unless you have an unlimited budget.
redface.gif
Anyways, the 225 are lighter, and imho more comfy than the 325 as a result - so if anything I prefer plastics.
smily_headphones1.gif

In terms of bass, I'm not sure what to tell you - the 225 are tighter/more refined than the 60, and the 325 (imho) are just gobs of treble on top of that. FWIR the MS-Pro and PS-1 are supposed to be good for low extension and impact, but I have no idea if this is true or not (and I'm not buying either of them to find out).
Regarding putting comfies on the 325s; I tried it on the 225 and it was not for the better. It muddles up the mids/highs, drops the top-end, and makes them generally less awesome. I would not think it would be an improvement for the 325. It might kill the highs, but it's got an equally good chance of killing the midrange. If you have the 60s at home though, you could try it out and see what you get. Do realize that adding fabric/foam/felt/etc in front of a driver is the same idea as the Sony Acoustic Bass Lens - and that if you do it "right" (or "wrong" depending on what you want) you'll increase bass response pretty substantially (this is the premise of the Germania Mod for the ESW9 too).

Wow, great help! What do you think about the Ms2i's then? As gradofan2 puts it "SR325's with a bit mellower sound". I know it's probably stupid, but the idea of a metal headphone is infatuating.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3,635 of 65,586
Wow, great help! What do you think about the Ms2i's then? As gradofan2 puts it "SR325's with a bit mellower sound". I know it's probably stupid, but the idea of a metal headphone is infatuating.

Never heard the Allesandros - sorry. :xf_eek: Just recalling (perhaps even incorrectly) a comparison review between the RS-1 and MS-Pro, and the MS-Pro's bass came up. The PS-1 used to be a "basshead" suggestion a few years ago.

While I like metal headphones as an idea, I'll say that there's only one set of metal cans that I really like - the MDR-F1. All of the others have some flaw (usually they weigh a ton, some of them sound bad). IMHO the 325 are just too awkwardly weighted and bright (this is all based on the 325i, the goldies - perhaps the last few revisions have changed them up substantially, I don't know). Try the 225, I think you'll like them. Alternately, there's always the AluMod if you're adventurous (I have no idea how it sounds, but they look like a fun project); I'd probably use a pair of 125s or 225s for them.

If your goal is just to have a metal headphone, have you consider any of the AT's with aluminum cups, or a mag-frame Sony? I know, huge departure from Grado, but they're metal and probably a bit less polarizing.

Unrelated,
UPS is showing my RS-1s moving on schedule, so Thursday looks like a winner. Will try to at least post initials against the ESP by the weekend. :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,636 of 65,586
Yes... forget about... using any other cushions than the stock bowl pads (except for the PS1000's / GS1000's)... all the rest just ruin the sound of Grados.  

And yes... if you don't like a pretty bright sound... then forget about... getting the SR325's.  

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,637 of 65,586
-Really- enjoyed listening to my RS1i with the Little Dot 1+ last night (with the stock tubes, the sylvania gold 408 haven't arrived yet...).
Faint buzzing in the left earpiece at times, which I'm hoping is just the stock tubes and will disappear when I replace them with something a lot better.  It's not really noticable when any music is playing, but if I just hook up the headphones you can just hear it.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #3,638 of 65,586
Quote:
-Really- enjoyed listening to my RS1i with the Little Dot 1+ last night (with the stock tubes, the sylvania gold 408 haven't arrived yet...).
Faint buzzing in the left earpiece at times, which I'm hoping is just the stock tubes and will disappear when I replace them with something a lot better.  It's not really noticable when any music is playing, but if I just hook up the headphones you can just hear it.

as a LD owner I can attest that this is PROBABLY due to interference with the tubes from some sort of phone/piece of technology sitting by. I place my LD a foot or so from my laptop and all background noise ceases. This is probably the case. Also, placing books/setting something under the LD helps too. Cheers!

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #3,639 of 65,586
Quote:
as a LD owner I can attest that this is PROBABLY due to interference with the tubes from some sort of phone/piece of technology sitting by. I place my LD a foot or so from my laptop and all background noise ceases. This is probably the case. Also, placing books/setting something under the LD helps too. Cheers!

Ahh, thanks...  It's sitting on top of my desk (so about 30-40cm above my tower) and right next to my dac, so maybe some interference around.  I'll try out moving it around a little when I get home and see if it goes away.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #3,640 of 65,586
lemme know if you still experience a problem, I found out that this is usually the cause. also, my DAC incessantly buzzes prior to me playing any sound out of my laptop, perhaps this is the same thing you are experiencing? it is annoying but unnoticeable 99% of the time as I am usually always listening to SOMETHING if I have my cans on.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,641 of 65,586
Moving it around seems to have fixed that problem... :)

Also got some extra tubes this afternoon, so it's now with some sylvania gold 408As which sound awesome. Sounds like a bit more bass there with these tubes, and a little more warmth and smoothness.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #3,642 of 65,586
Well ... I'm now waiting upon my separate deliveries this week or next of both a Joe Grado HP-1 (HP1000) with the polarity switches and a Joe Grado HP-2 (HP1000) with nearly intact lettering - both in outstanding condition.  I've been looking for these for awhile, and being as particular as I am for quality both physically and aurally, and then both turn up here on Head-Fi at the same time - fortuitous luck for an aufiophile, yet not so financially - - - geez, if only I had listened to the famous Head-Fi conjecture ...."sorry about your wallet".  I'll attempt to get a comparative review put together after some careful A-B'ing.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3,643 of 65,586
Quote:
Well ... I'm now waiting upon my separate deliveries this week or next of both a Joe Grado HP-1 (HP1000) with the polarity switches and a Joe Grado HP-2 (HP1000) with nearly intact lettering - both in outstanding condition.  I've been looking for these for awhile, and being as particular as I am for quality both physically and aurally, and then both turn up here on Head-Fi at the same time - fortuitous luck for an aufiophile, yet not so financially - - - geez, if only I had listened to the famous Head-Fi conjecture ...."sorry about your wallet".  I'll attempt to get a comparative review put together after some careful A-B'ing.

Congrats! 
Actually you are making a sound investment (I know you are doing it as a music lover and collector. but....) since the HP1000 have been increasing in value and WILL go up further. 
Don't feel sorry about your wallet in this case. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back