Grado e Series
Jun 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #6,436 of 6,729
Grado QC is infamously inconsistent... My friend once ordered a ms pro and ended up with the right driver on the left side and vice versa. Grado lost a fan that day, who unfortunately saved up for months so that he can buy his dream cans. And as we don't live in the US it was hard to return the unit

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #6,437 of 6,729
Grado QC is infamously inconsistent... My friend once ordered a ms pro and ended up with the right driver on the left side and vice versa. Grado lost a fan that day, who unfortunately saved up for months so that he can buy his dream cans. And as we don't live in the US it was hard to return the unit

Sorry for being nosy, do you mind if I ask whether he bought it from the US or from the local dealer?

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,438 of 6,729
  So I just received a 325e from Amazon. The right headphone is I'd say is 75% lower in volume compared to the left. Like this isn't something subjective, like oh, the bass, vocals or whatever sounds more powerful on one side than the other. No, it's clear as day there's something defective about the unit I received.  I'm going to send it back and givesome thought in maybe shelling out the extra cash for an RS2e. But this whole thing got me thinking, how is Grado's quality control? What if something less noticeable, maybe not able to be picked up by the average person goes wrong? Like instead of a 75% volume difference, there's a 2%? Or maybe the driver is tuned differently in each ear compared to another unit? 

Just return them and by another pair…schiit happens.
I've had my 325is and some of my other Grados for years with no issues.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #6,440 of 6,729
I have the RS2e. After a few hours my ears physically hurt. I don't think it's the sound; I think it's the clamp of the on ear pads. All my other headphones are over ear. The Grados on the only on ear.

Anyone else have this issue? I wonder if I stretch out the headband to reduce the clamp, it that will help. I love the sound, it cannot stand the pain. Any ideas?

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #6,441 of 6,729
I have the RS2e. After a few hours my ears physically hurt. I don't think it's the sound; I think it's the clamp of the on ear pads. All my other headphones are over ear. The Grados on the only on ear.

Anyone else have this issue? I wonder if I stretch out the headband to reduce the clamp, it that will help. I love the sound, it cannot stand the pain. Any ideas?

Basically the first thing I do to every Grado that falls into my hands.

There are a few other things you might wanna do:
- Put some books in between, leave them overnight. This is if your hands are too strong and you have a worried mind.
- Change to flat pads or Sennheiser HD414 pads. Those big G cushs by Grados are not compatible.
- These:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466406128&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+headband

Have fun and tell us how much you love the RS2e!

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #6,442 of 6,729

Basically the first thing I do to every Grado that falls into my hands.

There are a few other things you might wanna do:
- Put some books in between, leave them overnight. This is if your hands are too strong and you have a worried mind.
- Change to flat pads or Sennheiser HD414 pads. Those big G cushs by Grados are not compatible.
- These:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466406128&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+headband

Have fun and tell us how much you love the RS2e!

To clarify, you are saying stretch the headband, then buy padding for the headband. I'm not clear how padding for the headband will help the pressure I feel on my ears. Can you elaborate on that?

I have the stock L pads now, but I do have some 414s in a drawer. I'll quarter mod them and give them a try.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #6,443 of 6,729

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #6,444 of 6,729
Jut pull the headband into a horizontal position from above the rod blocks a little at a time until the clamping force is relieved.
This will need to be done several times before the clamping force stays were you like it because it is spring steel and will want to return to its original position...that's all you have to do....tis has been posted here many times.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #6,445 of 6,729
To clarify, you are saying stretch the headband, then buy padding for the headband. I'm not clear how padding for the headband will help the pressure I feel on my ears. Can you elaborate on that?

I have the stock L pads now, but I do have some 414s in a drawer. I'll quarter mod them and give them a try.

Not quite "stretch then buy padding". You can do all of these or just one. 

The paddings above do help keep the headband in a more open position as well. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #6,447 of 6,729
Practically anything with a headphone output will have enough power to drive Grados. Even the ODAC with output voltage of 2V will drive your Grados to loud enough volume. 

Sound quality and synergy is another matter entirely. After some very bad experiences with Fiio when I first started this hobby I'd decided to steer clear from their products.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #6,448 of 6,729
One thing great about Amazon is you can send it back!
I own both. My RS2e have retired my 325is. I've heard the 325e and liked them as well. An improvement no question over the "is", but the drastic weight reduction of the RS2e was an additional deciding factor for me! I also will say i haven't had any issues with either, i may add.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #6,449 of 6,729
the fiio may not be high fidelity. i do not know anything it's size that is both an amp and usb dac on battery. it seems to have decent chips in it. i really can't comment though having never seen one. i know people that use them and are pleased with the results. as i always say go with what you can afford, the size you need and what sounds good to you. there is no right or wrong in audio. if you like beats so be it. at least people are listening to music. gear is really secondary because gear is nothing without music.i am no one to talk having very high end equipment on hand but i am not everyone. oh yes, amazon is a great place to shop. if you get into higher end equipment there are places like music direct if you need to mail order too. i think anything from ray samuels would be much better but they all are more money and larger. i have the darkstar sitting here with balanced ps1000 but it takes up a lot of real estate if that is what maters to someone. of course it is better than the hornet. or fiio i would figure. everyone should get whatever they like. that is all that matters. of course solid advice is always welcome. hence this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back