Grado e Series
Jul 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #5,281 of 6,729
Well I've been listening to the sr60e and sr80e for the past couple days. I'd really like to see updated graphs because there is no way in heck there is 'more bass' in the sr60e.

If there does happen to be more bass its hidden somehow, because the bass on the sr80e is much clearer, more pronounced, more punchy, and deeper.

Compared to the sr80e the sr60e feels like the mid bass to upper midrange is more prominent but the treble and bass are chopped off. The sr80e seems much more 'open' because of this.

For $20 the sr80e is a definite upgrade and definitely worth paying for. I also agree with those commenting on a tin-sound with the sr60e. Something about the upper mid range makes it sound slightly off.

Just another reason why I cant put any stock in Tyll's reviews for my personal tastes.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,282 of 6,729
Well I've been listening to the sr60e and sr80e for the past couple days. I'd really like to see updated graphs because there is no way in heck there is 'more bass' in the sr60e.

If there does happen to be more bass its hidden somehow, because the bass on the sr80e is much clearer, more pronounced, more punchy, and deeper.

Just another reason why I cant put any stock in Tyll's reviews for my personal tastes.

Wait.....you want to see graphs. But you don't put much stock in Tyll's reviews, which rely heavily on graphs for their appeal imo.

Am I missing something here?

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,283 of 6,729
Wait.....you want to see graphs. But you don't put much stock in Tyll's reviews, which rely heavily on graphs for their appeal imo.

Am I missing something here?

I like to correlate what I hear to the graphs, not staying I rely on them. But I would be shocked if the e series was the same as the current graphs show of the old series.

I'm not questions Tyll's methods of reviews, simply his taste in headphones. For instance the sr60 being on the wall of fame instead of the 80.

I'm a bit jaded. I wasted a lot of money on his recommendations of what 'hi-fi' should sound like and I don't agree. Ha.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,284 of 6,729
I like to correlate what I hear to the graphs, not staying I rely on them. But I would be shocked if the e series was the same as the current graphs show of the old series.

I'm not questions Tyll's methods of reviews, simply his taste in headphones. For instance the sr60 being on the wall of fame instead of the 80.

Well, I mean, to each his own.

If you try to correlate hearing to graphs, then you are relying on graphs to try to confirm the reliability and fallibility of your own perceptions. Period.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #5,285 of 6,729
Well, I mean, to each his own.

If you try to correlate hearing to graphs, then you are relying on graphs to try to confirm the reliability and fallibility of your own perceptions. Period.

Ok so... Your way or the highway? Audio is subjective. A fact I had to learn. I have my methods for trying to figure out what I hear. I'm not sure what your problem with me is.

I think graphs DO have a role. I'm not staying they're the end all but to completely ignore them is ignorant IMO.

In my attempts at finding the holy grail(perfect headphone) I've been able to use EQ and some frequency graphs to make a lot of headphones sound similar. So to say they are useless shows the fallibility of your own perceptions.

I realize there's a lot more than frequency graphs. I had to learn that however.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,286 of 6,729
I am all for subjectivity, and I am not getting personal with you at all. So chill. Clarifying logical gaps in what was written is not a personal attack.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,289 of 6,729
I found the SR60x-SR80x bass quite clearly different. The 80 was better defined slighty, as the headphone was right across the whole spectrum. However I felt the SR60 had something else in the bass. The only explanation I think for which, is the Headroom graph, showing more sub-bass, and slightly more bass over-all. That fits what I heard. The 80 is clearer and harder hitting above the really low down stuff.

There are however two aspects to take into consideration. One, there are claims of difference between same model examples. Also I think you have to have an example that highlights it though. I might never have noticed it in my auditioning, had I not just caught a certain part of a song on a radio in a hi-fi shop while auditioning.

The low down vibrating sort of buzzy sound on Rhianna song Umbrella sounds noticabley different on those two headphones. (It's not really to everyone's taste to say the least. However that is as far from relevant as you can get in this discussion.) The bassy noise comes in at 56sec, and 2.02 on this vid. It is however very unclear on this low resolution audio recording. You would need a good quality version. I found a youtube of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfHwUxHIk&list=RDCvBfHwUxHIk

I can not say for certain I can even hear now what I heard that day. Partly because I using SR225e, which graphs show have the least bass. Secondly it doesn't sound clear on the youtube vid, like it did when I was auditioning the SR60-80. On the SR80 it sounded clearer and slightly more detailed. On the SR60 though it had a warmer rumbling buzzing low down depth on it.

The tone on the SR60 jumped out at me because I am slightly obsessed with that sort of noise. A lot of dance anthems incorporate it in one form or another, (either lighter souding or differently pitched). Anyway I whipped the 80's on and it just was not there in the same way. I was like, "Uh yeah, but where's buzz buzz buzz. Why doesn't it sound the same but better? Yes the sound is closer to my senses but it's not the buzzing me the same".

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5,291 of 6,729

What are the differences between the RS2e and the RS1e in terms of sound signature? Will the RS2 equal the RS1 in detail resolution?

From GradoService, re. diff between 1e and 2e

Hi

would say about 65% (% of 1e from 2e)

the RS-1e will have the 12 conductor cable
as well as the bigger drivers

therefore

more dynamic range
greater extension in the frequency extremes
better stereo stability'
quieter backgrounds

that said good source equipment is important, which goes without saying

Cheers

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #5,292 of 6,729
  how many hours do you consider 'run in'?
I listen to my 500e's regularly, and bought
them about a month ago.

I don't know really. I think the general consensus is about 50+ hours for the e-series. The i-series was about 72 hours, so maybe it's the same. However the e-series sounds mostly run in. People seem to say it's just case of gaining, rounding off, and filling out in the bass. I can't estimate a time for it, even though I own the 225 in the 225i/e form. When I bought them new thinking they were 225i, they sounded (mostly) run-in. I therefor assumed they were and did no analytical listening for burn-in. I did leave them on a gentle sound source overnight, which was before reading the recommendation not to. That recommendation did not come with them, being they were in a '225i-carry case bundle' box.

Quote:
  As have been mentioned in this thread (and other threads) countless times, both the 225 and the 325 are perfect value for the money. The case with the i-series is that a lot of people preferred the 225 than the 325 (which I supposed was the i rather than the is). However on the e-series you can't find a more acclaimed pair than the 325e. Surprisingly I remember barely a head-fi review on 225e so far, except that someone said it was "warmer" than the 325e. But I'm pretty sure the 325e is a solid pair.

Yeah I keep postulating surprise in support for the preference for the 225 series. The original SR225 was only rated 4/5 star review. It was praised for being a good classical music headphone. The 225i was the same with Hi-Fi Choice 4/5 stars. It's on my carry-case bundle box. Yet the 325 always came in at 5/5 stars, as did the 60, 80, 125, (and iGrado). 

It is fact partly why I still feel excited about an upgrade to the 325. The 225e is a good headphone, unquestionably. (Plus I think the 225 series has been given a leg up from the e-series, probably to 4.25/5 star status.) Yet the 325e storms in with 5/5 star reviews, for much more money (in the UK).

Good points. I love the bass of my old 60i. Maybe not cleanest, but hey, it's an entry Grado, and those are fun x 10.

Yes (emotional moment,) I loved my SR60. They come straight out of left-field don't they haha. Being winners of legendary status, and best ever 'hi-fi value for money' awards, it's understandable.

The 125 moved into the legendary status also, and I had and loved the 125i too. They developed a rattle in one ear on bass notes for a few days, which then disappeared. I still had to argue with myself to let them go back to the retailer. I ended up with 225i/e due to lack of 125i stock.

The SR60x does have the flattest response of all the Grado though I think. If the Headroom graph is to be believed. Along with Grado timbre that's a winner.

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #5,293 of 6,729
Strange, but for me, within the Prestige i series, 60i-125i sounded virtually identical out of my iPod Classic 160. With the exception of the bass diff in 60i/80i already posted. I didn't spend much time listening to 60i/80i/125i out of my desktop amps, as I don't believe in using a $600+ amp on a HP that costs $70-90 (CAM). Might hear diffs there, can't say. But these are so easy to drive, and their drivers are sonically constrained (being entry-levelers) it's a bit moot to use heavy-artillery amps. ymmv as always.

But I will say, that the "breakthrough" in sound improvement within the Prestige i bunch was the 225i. From there on up to 325i, I definitely think it was worth jumping onto the TGV! So, my humble advice is, if you're looking to upgrade from a 60i/80i, within the Prestige i series (there are still many around on the used markets), then consdier going for 225i. Of course, there are mods galore you can also try to tweak the SQ, with pad switching and tape mods being the most common and easiest.

cheers

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #5,294 of 6,729
   I didn't spend much time listening to 60i/80i/125i out of my desktop amps, as I don't believe in using a $600+ amp on a HP that costs $70-90 (CAM). Might hear diffs there, can't say. But these are so easy to drive, and their drivers are sonically constrained (being entry-levelers) it's a bit moot to use heavy-artillery amps. ymmv as always.

I agree, out of all of my Grados my 80i's benefit the least with either my WA6/GS-1. I also can't see spending this kind of money on an amp too drive a HP in this price range..HP's first, then the rest! I use my Schiit M/M combo for my 80i's as well as my 325is's, and although they both sound fine with the M/M combo, the 325is's definitely benefits from WA6/GS-1…for sure!

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,295 of 6,729
  I agree, out of all of my Grados my 80i's benefit the least with either my WA6/GS-1. I also can't see spending this kind of money on an amp too drive a HP in this price range..HP's first, then the rest! I use my Schiit M/M combo for my 80i's as well as my 325is's, and although they both sound fine with the M/M combo, the 325is's definitely benefits from WA6/GS-1…for sure!

long time, joseph. I've pared down my Grado crop recently, decided to keep only my PS500. Sold GS1Ki, RS1i. Very satisfied with 3 HPs now.
If you had to keep only ONE Grado below PS1K....which would it be? (older series, not e).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back