Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 23, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #511 of 2,153
Looks like the drop is back!

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #512 of 2,153
intending to use this as a soundcard for my PC.  what's the best way to switch between speakers and headphones ?

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #513 of 2,153
  intending to use this as a soundcard for my PC.  what's the best way to switch between speakers and headphones ?

You will still need either an amp for you speakers, or active speakers. The Grace has a line out that you run to your amp. You can either leave the headphones plugged in all the time in one of the headphone jacks, or use the other jack that disconnects the speakers when the headphone is plugged-in.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #514 of 2,153
Welp, just went in on the hifiman $299 400i sale and then this. Time sell off my hd650

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #515 of 2,153

You will still need either an amp for you speakers, or active speakers. The Grace has a line out that you run to your amp. You can either leave the headphones plugged in all the time in one of the headphone jacks, or use the other jack that disconnects the speakers when the headphone is plugged-in.

Exactly.  That's the setup I have in my office.  I've got a set of Klipsch powered speakers connected via a 3.5mm Female to Male RCA adapter to the line out of the m9XX.  When I plug my headphones into the right 1/4" headphone jack, it mutes the line out and therefore the speakers.

- Dave

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #517 of 2,153
Has anyone tried the m9xx with planner headphone? LCDs or Ethers?

Sorry - no LCD or Ether. I can try tonight with HE1K or EL-8C - I've been using dynamic drivers to date.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #518 of 2,153

I have used my M9XX with my Oppo PM-1 planars and the combo sounds superb.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #519 of 2,153
Interestingly enough, the PM-1, HE1K, and EL8 are all fairly efficient planners! I mean it's great if the Grace drives those well, but generally speaking, more power is needed for the Ether and LCDs. If anyone has an opportunity to test, that would be great. 

I think there will be an m9xx at the Nashau meet, so hopefully someone will test there.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #520 of 2,153

I've tried LCD-2, LCD-3, HE-1000, HE-500, HE-6, and probably more that I'm forgetting right now. All sound great with the exception of HE-6 (no surprise there). 

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #521 of 2,153
  Interestingly enough, the PM-1, HE1K, and EL8 are all fairly efficient planners! I mean it's great if the Grace drives those well, but generally speaking, more power is needed for the Ether and LCDs. If anyone has an opportunity to test, that would be great. 

I think there will be an m9xx at the Nashau meet, so hopefully someone will test there.

Not sure I follow you 
blink.gif

HE1K requires 0.297 Vrms and 2.60 mW for 90dB.
Ether requires 0.071 Vrms and 0.21 mW for 90dB.

I don't know which LCD to quote, but I know HE1K can consume significant power reserves - nothing like HE-6, but it'll suck down some juice 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #522 of 2,153

Apologies if these are dumb questions, I'm at work and can't dig around properly for answers. Currently with my Meier Classic/Daccord combo, the volume on the Daccord can control the volume out the RCA jacks to my NAD receiver, just how I like it. 

1. So if I don't have headphones plugged in, will the m9XX do the same?
  2. Are you able to switch the crossfeed on and off? 
  3. Can it drive two headphones at once?

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #523 of 2,153
Apologies if these are dumb questions, I'm at work and can't dig around properly for answers. Currently with my Meier Classic/Daccord combo, the volume on the Daccord can control the volume out the RCA jacks to my NAD receiver, just how I like it. 

• So if I don't have headphones plugged in, will the m9XX do the same?
  • Are you able to switch the crossfeed on and off? 
  • Can it drive two headphones at once?

Yes, the volume control also controls the RCA output level.
Yes, the crossfeed is switchable via menu setting.
Yes, it can drive 2 headphones at once, but if you have a phone plugged in to the #2 jack, it will mute the RCA output.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #524 of 2,153

1. So if I don't have headphones plugged in, will the m9XX do the same?
  2. Are you able to switch the crossfeed on and off? 
  3. Can it drive two headphones at once?

Yes, the volume control also controls the RCA output level.
Yes, the crossfeed is switchable via menu setting.
Yes, it can drive 2 headphones at once, but if you have a phone plugged in to the #2 jack, it will mute the RCA output.

That's interesting.  I was about to clarify that crossfeed only works on headphone outputs, as it does on the m920, but this isn't the case on the m9XX.  On the m9XX, "CROSSFEED Activates crossfeed on all outputs."  This would actually be preferable to me on the m920 since I'm feeding the unbalanced outputs to a Little Dot MK III and would love to take advantage of Grace's advanced crossfeed algorithms through the OTL tube amp.

Maybe they'll add this feature to an update to the m920?

- Dave

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #525 of 2,153
Thanks, sound very promising! How is the menu accessed -- does volume knob push down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back