GR9 iPod Transport???
Jan 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #61 of 131
I like OTC as well but maybe for a cheaper version of the Rx

Rx Amp
Rx Dc
Rx Dac

a step down in the line is the Over the counter stuff.

OTC Amp
OTC Dc
OTC Dac

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #62 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like OTC as well but maybe for a cheaper version of the Rx

Rx Amp
Rx Dc
Rx Dac

a step down in the line is the Over the counter stuff.

OTC Amp
OTC Dc
OTC Dac

Rx Amp

Rx Dc

and Rx Dac all are trying to describe what the unit does but none are describing the unit in a way that really gives you a understanding of what it is. The word transport would be the proper word to use and that is not original. Rather then try to go that route I think Matt would be better off just using a cute/clever name that coincides with the amp but does not affiliate the name "Rx" into it. Realize while Matt and Ken are partners they are not in the same company so Rx should not be included in the name of a product being made by Matt.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #65 of 131
I don't know I don't put so much stress on names of things ultimately it is the least important thing in regards of importance. I would just name it for what it is as a portable ipod transport.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #66 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rx Amp

Rx Dc

and Rx Dac all are trying to describe what the unit does but none are describing the unit in a way that really gives you a understanding of what it is. The word transport would be the proper word to use and that is not original. Rather then try to go that route I think Matt would be better off just using a cute/clever name that coincides with the amp but does not affiliate the name "Rx" into it. Realize while Matt and Ken are partners they are not in the same company so Rx should not be included in the name of a product being made by Matt.

Matt designed the Rx Amp

Yes I can see how someone could be confused on what type of product the Rx amp is....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #67 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know I don't put so much stress on names of things ultimately it is the least important thing in regards of importance. I would just name it for what it is as a portable ipod transport.

What does it transport? I thought it takes the Apple digital output signal and converts it to a digital signal our dacs can recognize. Now I am confused..

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #71 of 131
Quote:

Matt designed the Rx Amp

Yes I can see how someone could be confused on what type of product the Rx amp is....
smily_headphones1.gif

Aided in designing first off there was input from others such as Vinnie at red wine with certain sections and that does not mean he owns the rights to using the Rx name and why would you want to use it? They are two discrete products instead of naming one with the others name either use a different name that complements it or something different. A good example would be RSA and how they give each new product a discrete new name but keep the underlining idea of military vehicles.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #72 of 131
Quote:

What does it transport? I thought it takes the Apple digital output signal and converts it to a digital signal our dacs can recognize. Now I am confused..

Look up the wadia i170 and you will understand why I use transport. As for transporting it is transporting a digital signal INTO a separate higher quality dac that in this case will probably be built into the unit but it may have a port to bypass that. But the conversion is in the dac the Gr9 unit itself is not tricking but telling the ipod to send out a bitperfect digital signal bypassing all internal components pretty much.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #74 of 131
"ALOHA" - dang, that's good! But I still prefer Rx for the ALO Rx amp. We'll have to find a use for that somewhere...

"GR9 IDEA" - pretty cool, too!

townes - I showed a very advanced working proto at CanJam'09 at LA last year. I then showed a much better unit (feeding the ALO Rx amp) at RMAF a few months ago. The pressure is on to have something fully functional at CanJam'10 this year, but we'll see how it goes. This is exponentially more difficult, complicated, and expensive than designing an analog-in/analog-out amp.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #75 of 131
"GR9 IDEA" sounds awesome. That has to go at the top of the list!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back