Got myself an MB Quart QP805 HS 100 Ohm for 30 bucks. Wow...
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received these cans today. Bought them from a fellow head-fi'er for only $30 US shipped in the for sale/trade section of the forum. I was very surprised that nobody bought them before me. I guess most members here are not aware how great these are.
biggrin.gif
I owned German Maestro GMP 8.35 D which uses similar (or maybe even the same) drivers and really liked the sound, but those cost me over $200 US. I had to sell them within a few months to fund the purchase of another can since even though the sound was awesome, the coiled cable was very heavy and cumbersome and the headphones kept on sliding off my head. I read about the QP805 HS and knew that it uses a straight cable, which was exactly what I needed. Alas, the QP805 is out of production and is very hard to find nowadays. Thus, when I saw the FS add on the forum a couple of weeks ago for the QP805 HS selling for a ridiculously low price of only 30 bucks, there was no way I could pass on the deal.
biggrin.gif

The regular straight cable on these cans use is much lighter and a real pleasure to deal with compared with the one on GMP 8.35 D. It's much more suitable for moving around and thus for portable use. The plug is 1/4 inch though, which is the only complaint I have. When I received them I was expecting the sound to be about the same as GMP 8.35 D, but these actually sound even better to my ears!
biggrin.gif
Amazing. They also look almost brand new and the seller included also included two sets of earpads in perfect condition, which I think are Beyer pads.
biggrin.gif
They change the sound signature quite significantly. The thicker pads make the sound similar to that of GMP 8.35 D - warm, rich and enveloping with nice punchy bass. The thinner pads on the other hand, create a thinner, sharper and more analytical sound with better sense of speed, clarity and more treble energy. The treble is smooth and never harsh or sibilant when it is not supposed to be, but it is very revealing. Midrange are very natural - vocals sound spot on with these and crystal clear. Lows are tight, fast, punchy on demand and very, very detailed, arguably more so than on GMP 8.35 D, which are among the most detialed headphones I've heard in the low end.

At 100 Ohms these definitely need an amp. I am currently running them straight out of my Audigy 2 ZS and the bass sound a little mushy. I will pull out my MiniBox E+ and AMP3 tomorrow and will give these a more serious listen. First impressions are very, very positive though. I think I prefer these over sure SRH840 and the GMP 8.35 D with the stock pads even unamped. More impressions coming soon.
biggrin.gif

Note: The closest headphone to these that is currently in production is the 300 Ohm GMP 8.300 D, which can be bought on amazon for $229 + shipping if I am not mistaken. I am pretty sure that they share the same driver.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 12
got a qp 805 on the way!

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got a qp 805 on the way!

Great! Where did you get yours? Is it 100 Ohm or 300 Ohm version?

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 12
coming from another headfi-er. think its 100 ohm version

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 12
Ahh you were the one that grabbed the FS here
smily_headphones1.gif
, I put a bump on that ad as I knew that its such a good headphone and the price was a steal. Yes its a headphone worth in the hundreds. Congrats.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Congratulations Pianist.
I deeply regret letting these headphones go for this ridiculous price.
How is the clamping force of the earcups?

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations Pianist.
I deeply regret letting these headphones go for this ridiculous price.
How is the clamping force of the earcups?

Just right for my medium sized head. Good enough to provide nice isolation, but not so much that the cans become uncomfortable.

Anyways, I still haven't had a chance to amp them. Unamped, I only like these out of my Audigy 2 ZS. With my portable players, the sound is a bit muddy/diffuse and the bass is weak. However, I can sense that these cans have great potential. The soundstage is huge, detail is great and dynamic range is very wide. And the mids are, oh, so sweet.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 12
I like MB Quarts.
I have 55x. They sound alot like my 650.

Ill give ya $35!
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 12
Damn, I've always wanted a pair, but bailed on the last pair I saw in the forums because I had decided to focus more on Stax and whatnot.

Drag0n: I have the 55x too and they sound nothing like a 650!
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I've always wanted a pair, but bailed on the last pair I saw in the forums because I had decided to focus more on Stax and whatnot.

Drag0n: I have the 55x too and they sound nothing like a 650!
wink.gif

eek.gif

I have them both here....i think theyre similar. The 650 is certainly not $500 better than the 55x.

Maybe because i listen to them rightside up, and youre down there listening to them upside down?

LOL!!!

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks to the German Maestro EU loan program, I have now the GMP 8.300 D Profesional.
My listening impressions mirrors a lot of what Pianist wrote about his QP 805. Though I wouldn't call them warm, not overly bright either. Natural is maybe a better word for the 8.300 D.
I wrote some things about them here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...ml#post6585955
These are definitely one of the best closed headphones I heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back