Google Android and free software (split from Schiit Happened)
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 41
I say clean this thread up for Jason's chapters only; and create a new reaction thread for members' comments.

I'll second that suggestion. Google's Motorola deal pros/cons and other superfluous conversations can be conducted in another thread.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 41
I say clean this thread up for Jason's chapters only; and create a new reaction thread for members' comments.

+1 the Schiit story has been interesting to follow and would be exception if much easy to follow in a more formatted  and cohesive form.

Having comments in this thread is not helpful at all for anyone who has an interest and just wishes to follow the stories progresses. Having to wade through all the fan boy posts is just as annoying as off topic discussion.

Mods can you please address this.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #33 of 41
Wow. I log out for two days, and when I wake up, I've got a brand new thread.

I am still trying to decide if I'm going to take that as a compliment, or just unsubscribe from it.

More interesting, people are still over in the Schiit Happened thread, having miscellaneous discussions.

So I guess the haters got their way. Oh well.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #34 of 41
  Wow. I log out for two days, and when I wake up, I've got a brand new thread.

I am still trying to decide if I'm going to take that as a compliment, or just unsubscribe from it.

More interesting, people are still over in the Schiit Happened thread, having miscellaneous discussions.

So I guess the haters got their way. Oh well.

Personally I thought the decision to do it was a bit silly. The main purpose of writing a book as an open thread, must be to ignite discussion and comments to what was written in the chapter. I can't fathom that Jason himself would like to see an ocean of "I wuv you Jason", "This is some goood Schiiitttt" etc. Those are thoughtless, childish and a bit dumbening, comments to an otherwise great idea. I can't tell what Jason wants, I can however tell what I would want if I did the same thing, and that is thoughtful commenting. I wouldn't even call this discussion off-topic or hating, or even critisizing. Oh well, I'm not an admin or moderator here, so my opinion is quite worthless in this context, but yeah, I thought I should tell it anyway.

I mean, it's not a blog. It's a discussion forum. We don't just read here, we read AND discuss.

Also, I'm not supporting the idea that the TS "owns" the thread and what being discussed. TS sets the topic, but we all "own" the thread.

That's the great thing with discussion: It evolves, and we have to evolve with it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #35 of 41
  Personally I thought the decision to do it was a bit silly. The main purpose of writing a book as an open thread, must be to ignite discussion and comments to what was written in the chapter. I can't fathom that Jason himself would like to see an ocean of "I wuv you Jason", "This is some goood Schiiitttt" etc. Those are thoughtless, childish and a bit dumbening, comments to an otherwise great idea. I can't tell what Jason wants, I can however tell what I would want if I did the same thing, and that is thoughtful commenting. I wouldn't even call this discussion off-topic or hating, or even critisizing. Oh well, I'm not an admin or moderator here, so my opinion is quite worthless in this context, but yeah, I thought I should tell it anyway.

I mean, it's not a blog. It's a discussion forum. We don't just read here, we read AND discuss.

Also, I'm not supporting the idea that the TS "owns" the thread and what being discussed. TS sets the topic, but we all "own" the thread.

That's the great thing with discussion: It evolves, and we have to evolve with it.

Indeed.

"Iron sharpens iron, as one man sharpens another."
-Proverbs 27:17

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #36 of 41
Jason is running a business and can't insult anyone, no matter what he feels. Ooh the self control.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #37 of 41

I would probably argue that *Jude* owns that thread, and every other thread on head-fi. We all post at his forbearance.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 41
  Jason is running a business and can't insult anyone, no matter what he feels. Ooh the self control.
biggrin.gif

The post was not meant as an insult. Really. I did not mean for it to come off that way.

I do feel strongly about software. I do think that people who take the time to make it, ought to be paid for that work.

What I actually feel bad about is raining on Jason's parade. Being right isn't the issue. Poor timing, probably is the issue.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #39 of 41
I would probably argue that *Jude* owns that thread, and every other thread on head-fi. We all post at his forbearance.

Yeah, that's correct.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 41

I put quotation marks there because I couldn't find a better word for what I mean. I don't mean pure ownership or intellectual property or anything like that.

I mean that if I start a thread, it's not "mine", so to say. I don't think I should have elevated rights to the thread. I can set the topic, but I don't think it's my decision where the topic evolves. The point is that discussion evolves rather chaotically because we're all individuals involved, and that the TS should more or less just accept it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #41 of 41
I put quotation marks there because I couldn't find a better word for what I mean. I don't mean pure ownership or intellectual property or anything like that.

I mean that if I start a thread, it's not "mine", so to say. I don't think I should have elevated rights to the thread. I can set the topic, but I don't think it's my decision where the topic evolves. The point is that discussion evolves rather chaotically because we're all individuals involved, and that the TS should more or less just accept it.

I don't disagree with you - I'm just saying that when Jude or a Mod makes a decision (like splitting a thread or saying to stay on topic), then the desires of the posters becomes second to the desires of the forum mods. That's what a moderated forum is all about. Neither the thread starter nor the thread posters have any real say in the matter. So - it's anarchy up until the point that it becomes a dictatorship...

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back