Good Tube Amp for Denon D2000/D5000?
May 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #77 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Psst... hey... don't tell anybody... but..." the X-CANv8 is quite possibly one of the best amps you'll ever find for the D2000/D5000s - at least for <$1,000.

It just seems to be the "perfect match" for their low impedance, and huge current requirements.

And... the plus... with it... you don't really need the "Markl Mods."

Hmmm ... markl has a multi-$1k RudiStor amp, and helt he needed the mod. Why should that change on a sub-$1k amp?

Well, I'll be using an Apogee mini-DAC as my amp for a long time, I think. Wife and me are on the brink of buying a house or flat.

May 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #78 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm ... markl has a multi-$1k RudiStor amp, and helt he needed the mod. Why should that change on a sub-$1k amp?

Well, I'll be using an Apogee mini-DAC as my amp for a long time, I think. Wife and me are on the brink of buying a house or flat.

Its not the cost of the amp that makes the difference... its how well it matches the requirements of the phones (e.g. current, voltage, watts, impedance, etc). Moreover... the Rudistor amps carry a 50% price premium because of the unfavorable exchange rate.

The X-CANv8 matches the D5000s requirements exceptionally well - and controls the drivers so well, that it goes a long way towards clearing them up. Though, I suppose its not really a "tube amp," but a SS/tube hybrid.

"Skylab" has also noted that he thinks with the Extreme, or DV337, the D5000s need no modifications. The DV337 costs about $600.

It also depends a bit on the quality of the recording, and how much bass you like. But... the X-CAN v8 does a good job of tightening up and controlling the bass.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #79 of 93
I've been having excellent success with the D2000 and the (hybrid) Bada PH-12 and "fast" and/or "lean" tube choices. The 1x Sylvania 6SN7GTA & 2x Raytheon 6SN7GT has been my favorite combination so far. : )

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #81 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by curiousmuffin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any recommendable tube amp for under $400? even the cheapest amps mentioned here are just a tad above my budget. how about the little dot series?

Didn't you read that tube amps are generally NOT recommended for D5000? There are tube hybrids that would do OK though.

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #82 of 93
Yeah... in general... OTL tube amps, struggle to drive very low impedance phones well... and OPT, or OT, (transformer coupled) amps, which can drive low impedance phones fairly well, are more costly than your budget allows.

The WA6, and WA4, amps are OPT amps, which reportedly drive low impedance amps pretty well - my WA6 SE Mxd does. Some report the WA3+ OTL amp does a pretty good job with them also (it uses a filter choke, and maybe some other technology to help it drive low impedance phones, better then the stock WA3 OTL does)... though... its not an OPT amp. And others report the SP OPT tube amps, do a pretty good job also - though the SP Extreme I had didn't. And... the DV332 OTL tube amp I had wasn't too bad with the Denons either.

But... the SS/tube hybrid MF X-CANv8 drives the low impedance Denons about as well as they can by driven - which is great... though... its still a bit above your budget.

In your budget range... I'd stick with something like the KICAS Caliente, or another SS amp with a "warm" sound... unless you were going to stretch it a bit to the X-CANv8.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #84 of 93
The Head Direct EF1 is a very good choice in that price range for a tube hybrid amp for Denons. If you want tube and Denon, the Hybrid really is the best approach IMO.

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #85 of 93
I have two hybrids at home, a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ the PinkFloyd Mods and a Head Direct EF1. The Denon D5000 sounds very nice out of either. The EF1 is in production and at $399 a very sweet sounding amp which you can tailor via different 12AU7 tubes.

Contrary to what others have stated I find that the D5000 after proper break in sounds superb out of a Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE. But lets remember we all hear differently.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #87 of 93
All I can say is the WA6SE drives my D2000's perfectly. I don't see why the D5000's would be different.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #88 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is the WA6SE drives my D2000's perfectly. I don't see why the D5000's would be different.

Ditto... re: the D5000s - my WA6 SE Mxd drives them well also.

Though... I would note, the X-CANv8 I had drove them, as well, or actually a bit better.

But... if you want an "all-around" amp that will drive both high and low impedance phones well - the WA6 SE is better... as it should be.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #89 of 93
just pulled the trigger on head direct ef1. one reason was that i already have a telefunken 12au7
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #90 of 93
I decided on my setup and couldn't wait any longer for the MS Live Cashback to go above 8%. It was three times that a week ago!
frown.gif

So my combo is: stock Denon D5000 + Musical Fidelity X-Can V8. Temporary source is a Sansa Fuze 8GB playing FLAC files. Total cost with the Fuze was $1010 USD (budget was $1000). Future source will be Squeezebox Duet feeding a to-be-decided DAC. This is my first decent headphone setup - I can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone for so much great info that helped me choose!

curiousmuffin, looking forward to your assessment of your new combo, especially with the telefunken tube.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you have the ribbed plate or the smooth plate 12au7? Which headphone(s) will you be using with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back