Good Alternative To My M50's????
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 60
if you're thinking of amps, i've been lurking around the forums for a year or more and recently more and more people have been suggesting getting the e7 because you can pair it up with the e9 for a decent boost in audio quality for your home system

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 60
While I was doing research on whether to get uDAC or E7, I encountered a lot the similar responses.

Seems to be for the price, and with the ability to pair with the E9, people prefer the E7 over a lot of other amp/DAC combos. Including the uDAC.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 60
So I just found these for a GREAT price on Amazon.

Anyone have any experience with them? How do they compare to the Grado 60i or 80i?

EDIT: These are also on sale. Thoughts? I'm starting to get that usual feeling when you're on the brink of buying your next set of cans. You all know what I'm talking about, that overwhelming feeling of just having TOO many choices
beyersmile.png

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 60
 or look into some HD 558, 170Ish and reveiws seem to be good.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 60
Oh my, more choices
biggrin.gif

I've heard that the HD 555's are very similar to the 558's, and not worth the extra money (much like the 60i's compared with the 80i's). ANy truth to this?

So now, I'm stuck on 60i or 80i's, AKG Acoustics K-420's, or the HD 558 or 555
confused_face.gif

Decisions decisions.

EDIT: WOW. Look at the price of these DT 990's!!!!

Please help me here guys
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 60
yea thats a sweet price, the general feeling about those is that they are bass and trebble cannons,not a bad thing but would prolly be more of the same to you.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 60
Ahhh, I was looking for something with a bit of different sound. Also they are closed phones, I was looking to go open this time....

How are AKG Acoustics K-420's sound compared to the M50's?

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 60
Another highly regarded headphone in your price range is the Shure SRH840.  I believe you can get these online for around $150.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 60

Quote:
Another highly regarded headphone in your price range is the Shure SRH840.  I believe you can get these online for around $150.

nope...$120 from an authorized dealer, electronics-expo.com (with coupon code: techbargains)

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #26 of 60

Heard good things about those as well. However, like I said above, those are closed cans. Wasn't really looking to go that route, but I'll keep my options open.

Would you categorize them as sounding different to the M50's?

EDIT: How do the Shure's compare to the AKG Acoustics K-420's? I'm really starting to lead towards those or the SR60i/80i. Anyone have any experience with any of these cans? Possibly a number of them?
Quote:

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 60
I'd say go with a Grado of some sort. It's about as different from an M50 as you care to be. I never quite had both at the same time, but the Grado came just after the M50, and it might have been the polar opposite. Mids were the focus on the SR225i I got, whereas on the M50 the midrange is a bit recessed. The M50 had thick, full bass; the Grado was light, quick, and punchy here. The M50 was not really colored but warmish and laid back in the mids. The Grado had a very characteristic coloration that, while not accurate at all, taken on its own merit was very pleasing. If you're looking for something that isn't more of the same, Grado is the way to go.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #29 of 60
Thanks for that heads up.

Quote:
Nah the shures are pretty bass focused too so they dont provide a alternative sound at all.

Quote:
I'd say go with a Grado of some sort. It's about as different from an M50 as you care to be. I never quite had both at the same time, but the Grado came just after the M50, and it might have been the polar opposite. Mids were the focus on the SR225i I got, whereas on the M50 the midrange is a bit recessed. The M50 had thick, full bass; the Grado was light, quick, and punchy here. The M50 was not really colored but warmish and laid back in the mids. The Grado had a very characteristic coloration that, while not accurate at all, taken on its own merit was very pleasing. If you're looking for something that isn't more of the same, Grado is the way to go.

Great comparison. Also good to know that you've had the M50's to compare them to. So now it's down to 60i or 80i or the AKG K 240's. You haven't happened to have any experience with the 240's, would you?
redface.gif

EDIT: Just realized that in a few of the post above I've been saying AKG 420's when I really meant the 240's. My mistake everyone.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 60
Naw, sorry, I only know the K240 by reputation. Judging solely by their measurements they look like they'd sound similar to an SRH840 (or the other way around, as the K240 has quite the pedigree on the Shures), but I am NOT going to make any definitive evaluation as I haven't heard either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back