Good Alternative To My M50's????
Jan 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Cdis99

100+ Head-Fier
So I have the M50's, and I love them. But I'm trying to build up my hp collection and I think the most sensible next buy would be to purchase something which is DIFFERENT from the sound of my M50's.

I listen to many different genre's of music. From rap to punk to classical to classic rock to indie and alternative, I listen to a little bit of everything.

I was thinking about getting a pair of Grado's, either SR-60i or SR-80i. Or possibly AKG's.

I'm not looking to spend more than $150. Currently, I don't have an amp or DAC, but I plan on buying either a uDAC or an E7 right around the time I purchase this next set of cans (while we're at it, any opinions on whether to get the uDAC or E7 would be great as well
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Any recommendations for me?
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 60
Grados would be a great compliment to your M50's.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 60
Thanks.

If I do pick the Grado's, any opinion on which I should choose? (SR-60i or 80i). Do I spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks and get the 80i's? Is it worth it?

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 60
There used to be a difference in the pads with the 80i's which made it worth the extra mony now the differences are far to small and the price is not justified after they changed it.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 60
You can get the SR60's and do some simple mods that will take it above and beyond the level of the SR80. Of course those mods can also be done to the SR80 but really...I don't know that there really is a $20 difference in sound between the two. At this point I would personally either go with the SR60 or skip all the way up to the SR325 or beyond.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

So there's really no point in spending the extra money to get the 80i's?

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 60
Definitely go with the Grados.  I find they handle the musical genres the M50s don't quite 'hit,' and they're not that expensive.  As far as I know, AKGs require a good amp and are really more of a midrange/treble headphone.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 60

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I preferred the 80i over the 60 but that's just me.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 60

Quote:
You can get the SR60's and do some simple mods that will take it above and beyond the level of the SR80. Of course those mods can also be done to the SR80 but really...I don't know that there really is a $20 difference in sound between the two. At this point I would personally either go with the SR60 or skip all the way up to the SR325 or beyond.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I've heard that before if you like the SR60i then don;'t think twice about your next purchase and just get an RS1i.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 60
That probably would not be bad advise. I just say skip to the SR325 because personally I don't thing there is enough improvement in the 125 and 225 to get them. To my ears, the 325's are a huge jump over the 60/80 and of course like you say, the RS1 is yet another big jump. There's also the HF2 that falls inbetween the 325 and RS1 and is considered by many to be the best Grado below the GS1000 (and above) level. I've not heard them yet though someday I would love to.

Quote:
I've heard that before if you like the SR60i then don;'t think twice about your next purchase and just get an RS1i.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 60

Quote:
That probably would not be bad advise. I just say skip to the SR325 because personally I don't thing there is enough improvement in the 125 and 225 to get them. To my ears, the 325's are a huge jump over the 60/80 and of course like you say, the RS1 is yet another big jump. There's also the HF2 that falls inbetween the 325 and RS1 and is considered by many to be the best Grado below the GS1000 (and above) level. I've not heard them yet though someday I would love to.

Quote:

There are plenty of people who consider the 60-RS1 to be the only good grado's however. Many people don't like the top tier of their production.\

IT would cost more to SR60 -> RS1 but still if you get the chance to use the whole line up and there is one you like the most then go for it. That's where listening with your ears benefits your wallet if you realize you can get away with a 325 instead of an RS1( due to diminshing returns which plagues Grado's and audio in general.)

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 60
Oh no...don't get me wrong...I would have taken the RS1 over the 325 in a heartbeat...lol...but the $400 price difference wasn't possible for me. Eventually I will have the RS1. Not sure if that will be in addition to to instead of the 325, but I will have a pair, they are a great headphone. I'll probably jump on a used pair though. As nice as they are...I don't believe they are $700 nice. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 60
Well you also got your 325's as a gift right? That's a damn nice gift if you ask me. People in my life would never spend that kinda money nor would they know where to spend it. Not their fauolt I just keep to myself when it comes to these things. The only time I talk about headphones is when I have a new one and I want to know what they think.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 60
While I would love to get the 325's or RS1's, there a bit out of my > $150 dollar price range
tongue.gif

But it seems to me that the general consensus is that a good headphone to pair with my M50's would be the SR 60i's. Additionally, most people seem to agree that spending the extra money on the 80i's just isn't worth it. I should probably also make it known that I'm not looking at Grado's exclusively, they were just one of the options. So feel free to make a recommendation for a good alternative set of cans that isn't Grado.

ArmAndHammer, you said that a mod would make the 60i basically an 80i. However, I'm not much of a DIYer, so would my reluctance to not mod the 60i's make spending the extra cash on the 80i's worth it? Or is the sq too similar between the two to justify the extra $20-25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back