Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #46,381 of 62,988
I'm experiencing the battery drain on the EX case, it seems. Battery percentage seems to go down fairly quickly there.

Also, it has occurred a couple of times that when I take a single bud out of the case that this bud won't play any music right away. If I put it back in the case and take it out again, it always works.

I've just resetted them to factory settings and paired again. Newest software is installed (5.3.6) and my iPhone 13 Pro Max is also up to date on everything.

Any advice?

PS: The insertion depth with the EX is also fairly "shallow", isn't it? They're not going very far in the ear canal. It seems that I'm consistently getting the best seal that way.
PS2: Also, they're not pausing the music when you take them out of the ear, do they?
I don’t see that anyone responded. Mine had a case battery drain issue. I returned them. I think it’s a flaw that varies in severity.

Jun 28, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #46,383 of 62,988
Any word on the sports model ?
Not that I know of. Didn't seek that one out. Been using my 7B non-stop though. Really like them. Still tip rolling...

Jun 28, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #46,384 of 62,988
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #46,385 of 62,988
Slightly OT but kinda interesting (especially those mindful of ear care):

This is NOT an audio device, though I wonder how much more space it would've taken to implement that and allow it to still be used for that purpose when not using the dehumidifying process but then there's the size...

Apparently the start-up is backed by Samsung.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #46,386 of 62,988
I got the Sony Linkbuds S today FINALLY!!!! LOL. I know I know such a first world mentality...

I decided to open them... Sony return policy be damned...

So I spent several minutes setting up the software and turning on features. Going to try to use these with all the features enabled.

These proved what I already knew but glad for the confirmation... My left ear hole is bigger than my right. I can use the medium tip in my right ear but need the large in my left. SO HAPPY that they have used actual hybrid tips!!!!!!! This is an instant MAJOR win in my books. One of Sony's best inventions in my opinion and a deal breaker with the XM4 for me. These are beyond comfy. I am going to love that feature by itself.

So playing with LDAC and AAC, when I enable LDAC the volume drops and becomes much more mellow sounding loosing the mids and treble detail. Anyone else experience this? I am using an S20 phone.

So far using AAC these sound exceptionally good. They are very balanced and dare I say almost bright. Comparing to all the latest Sony headphones I have owned these are by far way more balanced sounding. I can see how people who have grown used to the bigger darker sound signatures of Sony will think these are "not as good/dynamic" but this more about preference than actual technical ability. For me this is much more enjoyable.

Hopefully someone can explain if I am using LDAC wrong or confirm my finding. If I am doing it right, Sony will need to fix this.

But the LDAC issue aside I am quite happy using AAC and am not as hung up on codecs like I used to be. In my experience the codec is the least important aspect of a BT product, driver configuration and tuning are far more important.

Anyone know where to go to turn off the audible beeps when the buds switch from different modes like ANC and Ambient? Never mind I found the setting and turned off the notification.
I recall a Taiwanese tech review channel (Afra from Tech Teller) describing this issue with LDAC as well.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #46,387 of 62,988
So playing with LDAC and AAC, when I enable LDAC the volume drops and becomes much more mellow sounding loosing the mids and treble detail. Anyone else experience this? I am using an S20 phone..
Afra from Taiwanese Tech channel described this problem:

Tested on the Galaxy Note 8, the reviewer Afra says that using LDAC on the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pros sounds bassier with more forward mids and treble to the point of being sibilant (having owned the L3P I agree with this impression!). On the other hand, she says the Sony WH-1000XM4 sounds more muddy with LDAC, so I suspect something similar is happening with the Linkbuds.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #46,389 of 62,988
Afra from Taiwanese Tech channel described this problem:

Tested on the Galaxy Note 8, the reviewer Afra says that using LDAC on the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pros sounds bassier with more forward mids and treble to the point of being sibilant (having owned the L3P I agree with this impression!). On the other hand, she says the Sony WH-1000XM4 sounds more muddy with LDAC, so I suspect something similar is happening with the Linkbuds.

I do think there might be a difference, I just switched back and forth playing a song with cello playing and LDAC sounds different for sure.

They do sound very similar though, enough so I think I may end up using AAC for the added battery life.

So far I am darned impressed. The only negative was a short battery life but that's only on the first charge and I was playing around with the setting a bunch so will wait before commenting on battery life yet.

The sound signature is everything I was hoping for. It pretty much spells the end for both AZ60 and Samsung Buds Pro as it sounds as good as the Samsung and has as good ANC as the AZ60 and is more comfortable than both. But will wait a couple more days as I am in the honeymoon phase LOL.

Going to try the dual device thing over the next couple of days and see how it works. If it works as described while not quite true dual connected will work for my computer requirements.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #46,391 of 62,988
I do think there might be a difference, I just switched back and forth playing a song with cello playing and LDAC sounds different for sure.

They do sound very similar though, enough so I think I may end up using AAC for the added battery life.

So far I am darned impressed. The only negative was a short battery life but that's only on the first charge and I was playing around with the setting a bunch so will wait before commenting on battery life yet.

The sound signature is everything I was hoping for. It pretty much spells the end for both AZ60 and Samsung Buds Pro as it sounds as good as the Samsung and has as good ANC as the AZ60 and is more comfortable than both. But will wait a couple more days as I am in the honeymoon phase LOL.

Going to try the dual device thing over the next couple of days and see how it works. If it works as described while not quite true dual connected will work for my computer requirements.

What you're experiencing could be what happens on the WF-1000XM4 which is a gradual EQ drop in the upper mids and treble when you push the volume beyond a certain point.

Think it was established that it kicks in from about 80% volume upwards but you can dig back through the XM4 thread here for some testing that was done.*

Also check MRS's squig.link for a comparison of the frequency response of the XM4 at normal listening level vs full volume and you can see the massive drop off after 2k!

EDIT: *Page 71 of the XM4 impressions thread.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #46,392 of 62,988
Agreed. No major issues here. Still in love.
I'm facing a couple of small issues with them. As described, sometimes they won't connect or they do connect but the touch controls don't work... Placing them back in the case and taking them out again always solves it, though.

I'll keep an eye on the battery drain as well some more.

On the plus side, when they work they sound excellent and call quality also seems to be really good so far.

I'm still getting used to the relatively small touch surface. The one the MTW3 is obviously much bigger and easier to always "find", I think.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #46,394 of 62,988
I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 true wireless buds at a clear out price of £92 at my local Currys. They are brilliant sounding buds and they compliment my B&O EQ buds. However, there is one problem. Every time I wear them with a good seal and then take them out my ears after a long walk I get this strange blocked clogged feeling in my left ear which last all day then gives me ringing in the affected ear. This is the first time I’ve had this experience wearing IEMs.

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #46,395 of 62,988
I'm facing a couple of small issues with them. As described, sometimes they won't connect or they do connect but the touch controls don't work... Placing them back in the case and taking them out again always solves it, though.

I'll keep an eye on the battery drain as well some more.

On the plus side, when they work they sound excellent and call quality also seems to be really good so far.

I'm still getting used to the relatively small touch surface. The one the MTW3 is obviously much bigger and easier to always "find", I think.
I had an issue early on whereas I had one bud not connect when I took it out. I trained myself to move them both with my thumb to make sure they would both wake up. I don't seem to have that issue anymore. Did you try a factory reset? Reset, repair, reboot. You know the drill. Guessing you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back