Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #27,091 of 63,188
Neat. Looks like they use DSP to correct for the fletcher munson curve based on volume levels. What they call listener care. Not sure how it will sound in practice, but on paper could be a good thing.
That's one thing i'm really looking forward to testing.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #27,092 of 63,188
Had them for about three hours today. Returning them. The Jabra 85T and the MTW2 blow them away. Yamaha's app is terrible. Amazon sent me a box of 6 by accident. Only charged me for one. Sadly, I'm sending all 6 back. Love Yamaha, but this is a first gen product. Charging case is huge. Buds do not have auto pause when you take them out. They feel a bit cheap. The app is terrible. Sound is fine. Nothing to rave about. No EQ, nada. I can't even walk into the other room, maybe 20-30 feet and the bt connection cuts out. Oh well. Hope you all have better luck with them than I did.
IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0789.jpeg
IMG_0792.JPG
lol 6? wow. That's a huge mistake. I have no expectations just intrigue. never listened much to yamaha products. Getting a lot of firsts lately. one of which, the JLab epic air Sport ANC really shine after eq. i'm honestly shocked how good they sound. not by default, but with the in app eq.

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #27,093 of 63,188
Return of the UFO!

FlOKX4s.jpg

A numerical display replaces the shiny LED lights.
pPkCtWi.jpg

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #27,094 of 63,188
Just got the Oppo Enco W51 in from Aliexpress.

These sound really good for $57 USD. ANC is decent too. If the APP and Jabra 85t are 8.5/10, the Oppos are a solid 7.75/10. Finally got everything up and running on my old laptop, so I can finally measure and generate test curves.

oppo enco w51.jpg

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #27,095 of 63,188
Is there anything that compares to the Sennheiser MTW2, but with the ability to pair to 2 devices at the same time?

I really like the MTW2 for a lot of reasons. First of all (and my main priority) the sound. But also their touch interface, the fit and the ANC.
Most other features are quite good as well but could be improved if I want to be really nit picky. The case could be a bit smaller and/or ergonomic for pockets. The ambient mode picks up some wind noise. The app is somehow buggy and confusing. And the earbuds would fit me even better if they would be slightly smaller I think.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

EDIT1: Are the Jabra Elite 85t still with that "bass only" sound signature?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #27,096 of 63,188
Here's the FR graph for the Jabra 85t for those that are interested. By the way, what was Jabra thinking with these eartip sizes? I typically wear a medium, occasionally small for deeper insertion on some iems, but I still ideally need one size larger than their largest size. Regular iem eartips fit, though.

jabra 85t.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #27,097 of 63,188
Here's the FR graph for the Jabra 85t for those that are interested. By the way, what was Jabra thinking with these eartip sizes? I typically wear a medium, occasionally small for deeper insertion on some iems, but I still ideally need one size larger than their largest size. Regular iem eartips fit, though.

jabra 85t.jpg
That looks pretty good! Assuming those spikes are your rig? A small boost at 3k it would be perfect in my eyes.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #27,098 of 63,188
That looks pretty good! Assuming those spikes are your rig? A small boost at 3k it would be perfect in my eyes.
the only spike from my rig is the 8.75khz coupler resonance point. The one just past 13khz is not typically from my coupler. The last one near 16khz is rare. My mic and source are both calibrated.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #27,099 of 63,188

jabra 85t.jpg
Thanks a lot. That doesn't look too bassy to be honest. Still not sure. Most reviews I saw, said it's way more bassy than the MTW2 and less clarity overall. It also lacks aptX for Android. Pairing to 2 devices is a huge benefit though. Seems like the MTW3 could be a potential win in all categories if Sennheiser does it right.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #27,100 of 63,188
After reading a review on Scarbir's site, I recently purchased a set of SoundPEATS Truefree2 tws. They have a great sound signature for running but create the dreaded thump due to the silicone tips and the seal. I usually find that switching to foam tips cured the thump, but I can't find any in my collection that allow the earbuds to seat into the case properly to charge. All of my foam tips appear to be to long - not too wide - to allow the case to close and charge. Has anyone had any success finding foam tips for these?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #27,101 of 63,188
After reading a review on Scarbir's site, I recently purchased a set of SoundPEATS Truefree2 tws. They have a great sound signature for running but create the dreaded thump due to the silicone tips and the seal. I usually find that switching to foam tips cured the thump, but I can't find any in my collection that allow the earbuds to seat into the case properly to charge. All of my foam tips appear to be to long - not too wide - to allow the case to close and charge. Has anyone had any success finding foam tips for these?

What do the nozzles of the TWS look like?

You may be able to get away with some de-cored APP foam tips or even some shortened/cut T200 or T400 tips.

Ikko i-planet or Misodiko TWS-Pro style tips may also work.

De-cored APP
IMG_20200518_162351.jpg
IMG_20200519_152020.jpg

Shortened T200
IMG_20200502_005329.jpg

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #27,102 of 63,188
Here's a wavelet file for the Jabra 85t normalized to oratory1990 target.

The two graphs of note are the black = raw and blue = compensated result.

jabra 85t.png

On wavelet, I can run this at 100% so far with no distortion. But I'm only several minutes into listening.

Attachments

• jabra 85t oratory.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #27,103 of 63,188
I've been listening to the Jabra 85t's v. the other ANC earphones I have right now (APP's, Jabra 75t's, and Libratone Track Air+), and I have to say the 85t's are really terrific -- great soundstage, very appealing sound signature, no real weaknesses to my (consumer) ears. I like the sound on the 85t's better than any of the others -- and, really, as much as any other earphone I own. Having said that, I'm still having fit problems. No matter what tips I use (and very few fit the oval stem), I find that as I move my jaw (talking or eating) the right earphone gets loose and eventually dislodges. Jabra really needs to offer some different tip options. How critical to the performance of these earphones was the decision to make these custom oval tips, with short oval stems? Otherwise, these are so, so close to perfection. Grrr.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #27,104 of 63,188
Return of the UFO!

FlOKX4s.jpg

A numerical display replaces the shiny LED lights.
pPkCtWi.jpg
MicroUSB? I see it listed as such and I recall other users saying similar variants with the number display were microUSB.

Has anyone found a UFO variant with true USB C2C charging and/or AptX? I recall the OEMs were offering versions with AptX on Alibaba and someone here got a unit but it seems no Aliexpress seller/brand sold them. I see Verbatim also has an AptX TWS with a more standard case with number displays, the shells somewhat resemble a mix of Sabbat E12 with MIFO 05.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #27,105 of 63,188
I've been listening to the Jabra 85t's v. the other ANC earphones I have right now (APP's, Jabra 75t's, and Libratone Track Air+), and I have to say the 85t's are really terrific -- great soundstage, very appealing sound signature, no real weaknesses to my (consumer) ears. I like the sound on the 85t's better than any of the others -- and, really, as much as any other earphone I own. Having said that, I'm still having fit problems. No matter what tips I use (and very few fit the oval stem), I find that as I move my jaw (talking or eating) the right earphone gets loose and eventually dislodges. Jabra really needs to offer some different tip options. How critical to the performance of these earphones was the decision to make these custom oval tips, with short oval stems? Otherwise, these are so, so close to perfection. Grrr.

A number of tips fit fine. I ended up with rha double flange tips. Fits in the case perfectly.

20201105_153341.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back