Gilmore V2-Second chance impressions/review
Jun 12, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #46 of 156
Somehow, I would really doubt that improving the psu and changing to a step attenuator would change the "character" of an amp, any amp. It may give it some more detail/transparency and increase definition, especially is power was laking before hand. But to say that making these two changes would alter the characteristic sound of a whole amp design would be gross exaggeration.

In anycase... Tube, hang in there. I'm sure you knew this was coming. You just don't go and disagree with the masses publicly and expect not to get flamed. I still appreciate your honest opinion nevertheless. There have been too many times that I went with the hype and was utterly dissappointed. It's nice to see an objective opinion. (And yes, I did say "an objective opinion".)

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #47 of 156
Quote:

But to say that making these two changes would alter the characteristic sound of a whole amp design would be gross exaggeration--Darkclouds

Sir, you are grossly exagerating my exagerations!

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #48 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by Solude
I just don't understand why you think that the one comment in the review based on intuition discredits the rest? Do you honestly believe that a better attenuation and more reserve power can drasically change the sound of the active components?

i've heard where thsi kind of change can make a drastic difference in amps, case and point: melos maestrobator and stock melos sha-1. the difference is incredible dramatic.

how does headroom scale its amps? i believe the reference module is available in more than just the max, their reference amp. aren't psu changes the major difference between a mohr and the max? i guess the mohr and max sound the same then..?

i guess i'll just have to disagree with you on this. i get the feeling that an upgraded gilmore would definitely have some big improvements in sound, but as i haven't heard both i cannot be sure.

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
You'll never see me participating in one of those HD600 vs. the world threads that Macdef seems to cherish
biggrin.gif

Um... mischaracterization alert!
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #50 of 156
Quote:

You just don't go and disagree with the masses publicly and expect not to get flamed--Darkcloud

Do I sense an undercurrent of elitest angst here? Is this what all this is about then? Are the "highend hifier's" feeling a bit of heat from the proletariat Gilmore fans?

Interesting choice of words, regardless.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #51 of 156
Enough word play with the disbelievers arguing over semantics and how a review should be done in a non professional, non private arena
rolleyes.gif

Tube, answer my amp for Beyer 880 question already
biggrin.gif
After that edit your review to remove the stepped attenuator and ps sentence. Don't change it, just remove it. Curious as to what the disbelievers will latch on to next for your debunking
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #52 of 156
Quote:

Curious as to what the disbelievers will latch on to next for your debunking--Solude

Solude---

So now we've moved from class warfare to religious war.
biggrin.gif

But just who is debunking whom here?

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #53 of 156
Guys, please take the "stepped attenuator/power upgrade" argument to another thread. It's really a minor point not terribly related to the meat of this review.

BTW, Tuberoller, thanks for the review. Your opinions are always interesting to read.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #54 of 156
This thread disappoints me greatly. I do not know Tuberoller; I have never met him. But why is it that his integrity is so quickly questioned? It's baffling. I read Tuberoller's review with interest because I know that he has heard a lot of equipment and obviously loves headphones and audio in general, and the Gilmore is an amp that I might consider purchasing one day. I found his review interesting and informative.

I just wanted to thank Tuberoller for his review, and let him know that I think the reaction to his review is completely unwarranted.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #55 of 156
Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy
Do I sense an undercurrent of elitest angst here? Is this what all this is about then? Are the "highend hifier's" feeling a bit of heat from the proletariat Gilmore fans?

Interesting choice of words, regardless.

I think the comment had more to do with pure numbers than economic status.

Also, the MPX3 is about the same price as the Gilmore, so how does "elitest angst" enter into one receiving a great review and one a, well, not-so-great review?

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #56 of 156
This thread sucks ass. Denigrading people who wright reviews will just discourage people from continuing to do so. If that happens, there will be no head-fi and so many of those antagonizing idiots will have no place to vent. BTW, nice review tuberoller.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #57 of 156
I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comments. They were not meant to be a poke at anyone who has posted his thoughts on the Gilmore amp in favor of its sound, but rather to point out that there has been an influx of sub-ten-post members who posted how wonderful the Gilmore was only to disappear.

I still remember my first review on Headwize about 27 months ago. It was about the Headroom Cosmic. Before getting my wonderful new setup all at once with my own hard-earned cash (it was by far my largest expenditure to date), I had been using a Sony MZ-R900 with the MDR-E888LP earbuds. I plugged in my Marantz CD6000OSE, connected the Cosmic to the Marantz with my DH Labs interconnects (purchased for $90), and plugged my new Grado RS-2 into the headphone jack. I started listening, and wow! what amazing sound -- my MiniDisc doesn't sound like this!

Within a few days, I posted a review of how great the Cosmic was, and that it was so much better than the headphone jack in the Marantz. It's probably still in the archives. Search under "newbie reviews."

Fred has a lot of experience with audio -- speakers, headphones, LPs, CDs, headphone amps, speaker amps, power cords, and interconnect cables. His opinion is not to be taken lightly as it is more informed than that of most other people here. It's easy to assume that negative comments on a product that has received near-universal praise have an underlying impure motivation. But what if it's just that Fred isn't afraid to post his own opinions against the many glowing reviews? Someone without his experience might just feel uncomfortable posting opinions against the tide.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #58 of 156
Quote:

I just wanted to thank Tuberoller for his review, and let him know that I think the reaction to his review is completely unwarranted.--acs236

acs236--

Just which reaction are you speaking of? There have been many reactions to Tuberoller's review. As for myself, I've stated before that Tuberoller is perfectly entitled to his opinions and I respect that. OTOH, he goes too far with regard to certain issues and I feel obligated to point this out. I find the heated response to this actually more surprising than anything else.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #59 of 156
Quote:

Solude---

So now we've moved from class warfare to religious war.
biggrin.gif

And this thread has moved straight through to the Spanish Inquisition. . . .

Fred, keep up the great work (and stop cleaning those LPs with tap water!).

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #60 of 156
Quote:

Elitism? It seems "brand loyalty" is alive and well in this thread, and Tuberoller has nothing to do with it. The few times there have been negative comments about the amp, or about buying the amp, the people in question have been flamed and discredited by a small but vocal group. So it doesn't surprise me that Tuberoller was ripped a new one for giving his honest opinion.

I'm not saying the Gilmorev2 is bad, or anything less than great. I've never heard it, so I have no opinion on the amp itself. Many people like it a lot. But not everyone is going to like it. If you sell a product, get used to that idea. If you own the product, get used to that idea. If you don't want to hear anything negative about that product, turn off your computer and enjoy listening to it. To jump all over Tuberoller for what was a less-than-positive, but fair, review is ridiculous and says more about those criticizing him than it does on him.

I've seen reviews FAR less professional and fair than Tuberoller's, but none of you have talked about how unfair, unprofessional, biased, or [insert complaint here] they were. If it was clear that Tube's review were biased or unfair, I'd be joining you in criticizing it. But I've read his review several times now, and, like others, fail to see where it was anything less than his honest opinion. Jeebus, he even started it out by saying that the reason he wanted to review the amp was because he originally posted negative comments based on a short listening session, and felt guilty -- he wanted to give it a fair shake.

If you guys are the new "fairness in reviewing" police, you've got a lot more work to do, so I wouldn't waste too much time in this thread.

soapbox.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back