Ghost in the Shell 2
Sep 10, 2004 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw this at the Toronto film festival last night (or this morning, I guess). I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, but not so much that I didn't enjoy myself or feel it wasn't worth it.

Visually, the film was a spectacle to behold. The combination of CG backgrounds with anime/hand-drawn foregrounds and characters was truly amazing and pushed the limits for animation. I haven't seen Appleseed 2004 yet, however, so I imagine GITS2 has serious competition there for visual supremacy.

As far as plotline goes, though, it kind of let me down. It had way too many quotes from famous intellectuals (Descartes, Shakespeare, Milton, Confucius...) that made the plot seem contrived and phony rather than genuine. I also missed the absence of Major Kusanagi. Batou's dog was a nice touch, though.

Had I a choice, I would have rather seen Saw or Zebraman, but I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

All in all, it was a really cool experience (I'm a film festival virgin) and it was worth it even if the film didn't exactly blow me away.

Were any Toronto Head-Fiers there?

- Chris

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Ah DRAT! I was too busy registering for courses and totally forgot about the film festival.
mad.gif
Coincidentally I watched the first one again a few days ago and have been watching the appleseed musicvideo incessantly. I loved likes of Patlabor 2, Ghost in the shell(although was somewhat disappointed after reading Neuromancer), etc so was looking forward to see it. Sounds like you had a great time, welcome to Toronto.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm amazed that it's actually coming to theatres here in the states. Although I don't know if I'm going to see it.

I don't really consider myself an anime fan, but I get annoyed by the trailers for it, hailing it as "the anime which defined anime". IMO, I can think of others which are more worthy. (In addition, I know far too many GITS fanboys.
rolleyes.gif
)

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 13
I am surprised that GITS managed to get two TV seasons and a movie sequel. I thought the themes and characters are very dry and boring, only interesting enough for a few manga series and one movie.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 13
The original anime grows on you. I didn't like it all that much at first either. Eventually I liked the downtrodden deadbeat tone. Maybe it's just me.

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius94523
The original movie is much worse than what the two television series are.

I would disagree. The original move was... well, original. Very dark and moody atmosphere, almost like a blade runner. The series on the other hand is just a pure action, the plot can be argued to be almost non-existant.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 13
I really loved the first movie as well, its one you have to see twice to really appreciate everything thats going on. Production values are always easy to achieve with a big budget sequel like this, so I'm sure its easy on the eyes, but sequels are almost always disapointing because they take you back to a world thats already realized rather than introduce you to it for the first time.

Anyone here see Perfect Blue? Now thats an awesome anime movie that shouldn't be missed for anything!
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 13
Minya, I was there as well. I think I enjoyed it somewhat more than you did.

Actually I just got a call from the TIFF Volunteer Office, and it turns out I'm going to be doing a little soundwork for the TIFF Dialogues.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 13
I'll get to see this in a nearby theater in a little bit. I didn't think the first movie was anything special, though it certainly wasn't bad.

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The original anime grows on you. I didn't like it all that much at first either. Eventually I liked the downtrodden deadbeat tone. Maybe it's just me.

Actually I had the same experience too. Same goes to Patlabor 2. The dry and unsaturated atmospehere of those animes slowly draws you deeper as you watch them more and more.

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Wait a second, dabblerblue, was that you in the Gridlock shirt? If so, I was right next to you standing in line. That person (the theoretical you) looked familiar, and it may be because I had seen your picture somewhere in a thread here on Head-Fi. If so, weird coincidence.
tongue.gif
(I was wearing a black leather jacket and green cargo pants, for reference.)

Anyway, I'm back in Kitchener now so no more TIFF for me. Maybe I'll get to see more of it next year. I eagerly await Saw to enjoy a wider release.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back