Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,586 of 5,506
Lately I have been wearing my red/black AKG K518 (colored K81DJ) to the gym after destroying yet another pair of sport IEMs.  Beats Studio and Solo are a popular choice with local high school/college athletes and military personnel. 

Over the weekend I was asked by someone with red/black Solos what brand my Beat-knock offs were (more like why I didn't buy the Real Deal) and if they sounded any good...

Of course, this person had not heard of AKG, but accepted my offer to listed to my rig while I finished my sets to free up the equipment.  Once done, I got "these are not bad...how much they run?" reply (with a fairly neutral/indifferent expression)...However, the expression that followed was priceless (best Gabriel Iglesias impression) after hearing they sell for $45-50 on Amazon...

Granted, it was also not a fair comparison since I had 256lbs, 320kbs and FLAC music versus his Pandora app...Oh well...

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #3,588 of 5,506

Quote:
Lately I have been wearing my red/black AKG K518 (colored K81DJ) to the gym after destroying yet another pair of sport IEMs.  Beats Studio and Solo are a popular choice with local high school/college athletes and military personnel. 

Over the weekend I was asked by someone with red/black Solos what brand my Beat-knock offs were (more like why I didn't buy the Real Deal) and if they sounded any good...

How does a K518 look like a pair of Beats ? 
blink.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,589 of 5,506

Quote:
How does a K518 look like a pair of Beats ? 
blink.gif

If it's black and red, it's a Beats knokoff hey! Before Beats all headphones were just matte plastic black and grey. Beats created colors and they are the best coz they got battery in it, they use battery because it gives more power and more bass !

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3,591 of 5,506

Quote:

Of course, this person had not heard of AKG, but accepted my offer to listed to my rig while I finished my sets to free up the equipment.  Once done, I got "these are not bad...how much they run?" reply (with a fairly neutral/indifferent expression)...However, the expression that followed was priceless (best Gabriel Iglesias impression) after hearing they sell for $45-50 on Amazon...

Granted, it was also not a fair comparison since I had 256lbs, 320kbs and FLAC music versus his Pandora app...Oh well...

I probably chuckled and shrugged then informed him about how AKG is one of the biggest companies in audio....but that's just me.

What kills me though is when people say things like, "why not beats?" and then we talk about the music they listen to and some of the genres just blow my mind. I can only think to myself that they must sound pretty awful on them....

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,592 of 5,506
I find that most beats people are just accustomed to the sound and haven't heard anything real. To get them to convert. you need to be at home and be chilling with the dude so you have the time to explain everything. Then grab some tracks that are a wide range and play them :)

With Beats You are hearing evreything!

Wow! I can hear all the noise and distortion of these!

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3,593 of 5,506
This was from the apple store:

Wow. Most definitely a lot of criticism on this site regarding DRE BEATS. Bottomline is this: I'm a audiophile, in a band, spend lots of time in studios, and have a great ear. And these earphones are pretty phenom. Prior to this I've owned BOSE earbuds, which broke after literally one year of use, and the BOSE NOISE CANCELLING phones: which sound good, don't get me wrong. But these really pump out some outstanding sound. To my ear, they seem to filter out more sound than the bose, and produce a richer listening experience. Obviously they sound PHENOM on anything produced by DRE; but take a listen to the Eagles on them: AMAZING. Which is to say, like many audiophile stereos or speakers or earphones, the quality of the recording really makes it what it is. Don't expect Black Flag to sound better than it does normally. It is what it is. Haters beware.

are you sure?

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3,594 of 5,506

Quote:
I find that most beats people are just accustomed to the sound and haven't heard anything real. To get them to convert. you need to be at home and be chilling with the dude so you have the time to explain everything. Then grab some tracks that are a wide range and play them :)

With Beats You are hearing evreything!

Wow! I can hear all the noise and distortion of these!

HAHAHA

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,595 of 5,506

Quote:
Second day of school, I saw a self proclaimed "audiophile" freshman. Guy claimed that Bose was the best choice to get.

I would ask "Compared to what?" They probably don't even know any other brands and if they do, surely they haven't auditioned them. I'd like to hear that from someone one day and just as "compared to what?"

Quote:
If ever you feel down and need a laugh (or have a cry at what consumer audio has come to), have a look through here
beyersmile.png

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/TS232LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Ng&rp=1&rs=highestRated

If i had had breakfast i surely would have lost it by now, Apple fanboys praising Beats dang you scottie!!!
blink.gif
Reminds me of the new Dell commercial where the guy says he's an artist/musician/professional and needs Dell with his Beats.

Quote:
$200 for iems is ridiculous no matter how good they sound. The exception is customs. Those are worth their cost.

bcaseyraptor is that you?

^^ ROFL, the "I'm in a band" line

P.s. Why does everyone call the SRH440 Analytical and "no fun"? These are probably my favorite phones right now and to me they are very much fun!

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,596 of 5,506
"So if you're a headphone nut, howcome you don't have a pair of beats? They're the best. Otherwise you have to settle for the bose"

From the Apple site:

Let me just throw this out really fast. There are a ton of audio snobs out there who love to trash these as over priced pieces of trash. It is my opinion that most of these people have never even tried Beats by Dre. Reviews that say "$50 trash headphones" should simply be ignored. 

I thought I already had the best when I bought the Bose Headphones. I was wrong. Truly, Bose raised the bar when they introduced their QC2’s and QC3’s. Bose gave us an experienced and technology that we haven’t seen and experienced before. It’s like having a superb product which will not be beaten for the next years or so. That’s why I bought them, there’s nothing you can ask for that time. To those who have QC2’s and QC3’s like me, they know what I mean on how great they are. And please don’t get me wrong, I still love them.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,597 of 5,506
Yes, Beats get hate for their sound, but only because their overpriced. You could definitely get some better headphones at a better price with way better sound. What do the Beats have going for them to make them $300? Looks? Portability? Nope.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3,598 of 5,506
Man you guys just hate Dr. Dre because media loves it.

So as Bose. You guys just hate them because how media and people portrays them as a good headphones.

I would actually buy dr. dres studios only if they were less than 100$

Wait.. What?! 300?!

What!!!

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3,599 of 5,506

Quote:
Man you guys just hate Dr. Dre because media loves it.

So as Bose. You guys just hate them because how media and people portrays them as a good headphones.

I would actually buy dr. dres studios only if they were less than 100$

Wait.. What?! 300?!

What!!!

Like you just said, audiophilics hate Beats because well, their overpriced.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3,600 of 5,506
And we're all just hipsters on the inside. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back