Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #76 of 5,506
Ugh...Beats - it's an appropriate name for what I want to do with the person's head who bought those idiot headphones. These people have no interest in headphones at all - then Dr. Dre says "Yo buy my headphones dawg" and now people are like Oh man Dr. Dre said they are good so I better buy 'em - how much? $300? Here you go! WHAT!? I've seen SOOO many people using stock apple earbuds...and you mean there are people who will dump tons of money without ANY research based on name and endorsement...every person I see with Beats makes me lose faith in humanity (As if I had much anyway).

When I wear my ATH-M50's around campus I frown disapprovingly at anyone wearing Bose or Beats (The only two I usually see). Why these people will pay $300 when $100 headphones sound better I don't know, it just amazes me how much they won't even research things. It really makes me disapprove even more because they bought them on a whim (And $300 is not "on a whim" kind of money). I've thought about getting a shirt that says "Your headphones suck" on it, but I'm not the type to wear such things. And besides, I have seen a handful of people with good headphones though. Someone had some nice Denon headphones and I saw a pair of AKGs. I heard a guy tell his buddy after one dude got off the bus wearing Beats "Yeah maybe you can trade your headphones in on some Beats!" and his friend replies "Why would I do that?" and he says "Because they have good bass!" and he replies "No, they're boomy - I like good imaging and my headphones cost less and sound better!" I just about turned to this guy and said "THANK YOU FOR NOT BEING BRAINWASHED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!" Such a revelation when you hear someone smart in a sea of stupid people. But to be honest I think most college age people don't know soundquality if it smacked them in the face. Bose and Beats are top end to them...BLECH

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #77 of 5,506
I can't see your picture for some reason, but its got "solo" in the filename, so I assume you're referring to this, so I'll clarify.  I didn't mean to say that there aren't full size dynamics with that amount of bass (since I own one that has even more) but that the shape of the curve gives away what kind headphone it is.  Even without any labels it would be obvious that the blue line is an IEM of some type.

Its pretty obvious in=1193&graphID[1]=2571&graphID[2]=1953&graphID[3]=1403&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones] this graph.  The smoothly increasing response as frequency decreases are a characteristic of IEMs and the near perfect seal they can attain inside your ear.  =743&graphID[1]=2731&graphID[2]=1303&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]Not all IEMs share this characteristic, but AFIK it is only found in IEMs.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #78 of 5,506
Latest in Spanish class (this guy's pretty much a friend by the way, but he's 2 years older, grade level wise), wearing my DT770 Premiums (amp'd the bass up for the bassheads saying the beats are better):

Junior: BEATS ARE BETTER.
then after one of my friends checks them out, he put's them on, takes em off, then says; "I'm sorry. I love your headphones."

And that's it :).

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #79 of 5,506
Overheard a discussion between two people today in Adv. Chemisty:

Person 1: Dude, I just ordered my 27" Mac (<--- instantly makes my stomach sick)
Person 2: Awww sweet! You know what would be good to get for a good sound? (what he said...)

Person 1: What is that?
Person 2: The Beats Pro; a guy at Best Buy told me they sound like studio equipment! (I'm vomiting inside)

Person 1: Aww no way?! I'm wanna go get them, how much are they?
Person 2: They are about 400$

Person 1: Wow, for 400$ that sounds like a steal! (end discussion)

Literally made me sick the rest of the period...
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #80 of 5,506
Doesn't he know he has to but the HP beats laptop to get the ultimate audiophile setup?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #81 of 5,506
Who listens to the guys at Best Buy? I wanted to try out the Beats earphones just to see how bad they were, but someone had stolen the gummies, sadly people were still trying them and liking them. :blink:

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #82 of 5,506
There are too many people on montreal metros wearing those damned headphones like they are thugs.

I wish they knew that my triplefi 10 were better, AND more convenient, AND had much better isolation, AND didn't make me look like a total tool... all the low price of 100$ CHEAPER.

They got what they deserve. Everyone knows how to use google, they decided to ask their dumb friend of the guy at best buy...

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #83 of 5,506
Overheard a discussion between two people today in Adv. Chemisty:

Person 1: Dude, I just ordered my 27" Mac (<--- instantly makes my stomach sick)
Person 2: Awww sweet! You know what would be good to get for a good sound? (what he said...)

Person 1: What is that?
Person 2: The Beats Pro; a guy at Best Buy told me they sound like studio equipment! (I'm vomiting inside)

Person 1: Aww no way?! I'm wanna go get them, how much are they?
Person 2: They are about 400$

Person 1: Wow, for 400$ that sounds like a steal! (end discussion)

Literally made me sick the rest of the period...
frown.gif

How about you give them some information in a kind and passive manner? These poor souls can't be giving into such evil. We here at head-fi are like christians - but with audio. :)

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #84 of 5,506
Quote:
 We here at head-fi are like christians - but with audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't remember threatening anyone with eternal torture if they buy a pair of beats...

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #85 of 5,506

Quote:
Quote:

I don't remember threatening anyone with eternal torture if they buy a pair of beats...

I also dont remember standing on a street cornet handing out HFI-580 or M50 to passersby.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #86 of 5,506

Quote:
Quote:

We don't threaten anyone, they do it to themselves - or at least until the Beats break or get stolen.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #89 of 5,506
I had some cousins over for the holidays and one was listening to my Omegas and R10s.  After like 30-45 minutes she was done listening and then we were with the rest of the family and she was talking about how much music I have and that I've got a bunch of headphones.  Then one of my cousins said something like "you should get the beats...but those are expensive".  I just laughed inside and said "Ya I've never heard them but they're pretty expensive." :)

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #90 of 5,506
Fortunately for me I do not walk around places with lots of teenagers/ students who are the main targets of the Beats advertising and thus do not have to talk to them. It is a shame how advertisements create the reality nowadays and make people believe strange things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back